EDC, rethinking options

D

Deleted member 39746

I might not fully comprehend, but is there no way you can carry on your persons where the firearm is not exposed to everything? Pocket holster? Keeping it in a pouch instead of a open holster etc.

(if there is any concern it wont work if its exposed to what ever or you might forget to keep it cleaned and it will build up etc etc)

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
Carrying on your person is usually the best option in terms of maintaining control of your weapon.

There are many options available from total concealment to open carry. There’s are covered/sealed holsters that do not look like holsters from the traditional viewpoint.

It’s all up to the preference of the user/carrier.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might not fully comprehend, but is there no way you can carry on your persons where the firearm is not exposed to everything? Pocket holster? Keeping it in a pouch instead of a open holster etc.

(if there is any concern it wont work if its exposed to what ever or you might forget to keep it cleaned and it will build up etc etc)

Of course there is. The trade off is that the more concealed it is, the more difficult it will be to access.

On the other hand, if you're worried that exposure to the elements while carrying will stop the gun from functioning, you should stop buy junk guns.

CDR_Glock

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have been carrying now for a month or so. I carry a glock 20 or a R51. The glock is a bit big to carry while at work, but manageable. The remington R51 carrys better, but I like my 10mm auto. Trouble is, whatever I carry at work is likely yo get torn to shreds. Think new construction, carpet installation. Everything gets thouroghly saturated in dust. Everything gets jostled constantly. Everything gets bangged and marred rather quickly. I want a pistol that's ultra reliable under these conditions, and that I won't really care about. I looked at HI POINT at Cabelas today. Might fit the bill. Unconditional warrenty, reliable in reputation, cheap, looks lile it can handle abuse. But, they're freaking huge as a wide load trailer on a one lane street. Might be tough go conceal all but the .380. That's an itty bitty load. I don't know. Thoughts? Mabey other good options I don't know of?

A Glock 19 or Glock 26, Gen 3, would be your best bet for those conditions.

You should consider your carry options for holsters in the Guns you have now.

What holsters do you use?

The Hipoint is too bulky. The price makes it expendable, though.

Other smaller guns that fit in a pocket include the Sig P380, Sig P938, and the Sig P365. I personally carry a P365 with a Kimber K6S and a North American Arms 22 Magnum. If there is a lot of bending and climbing the Appendix carry can be cumbersome and limiting, though.

Other options are the Smith and Wesson 2.0 compact which rivals the Glock 19, a Springfield XDS in 45 or 9 mm, a S&W Shield in 9 mm, Ruger SR9C, S&W 640 in 357 or a S&W 442 in 38+P.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't buy a new pistol, it's out of the question. I am carrying my glock 20, with an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck IWB. I carry appendix, or FOTB, ( front of the breeches). It jabs my gut, but it mostly stays hidden. Suppose that's better than sticking out. I have to cleam the mag and mag well on the weekend. My R-51 can't handle as much grit, so it's only for non- work applications.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score

As it is, I carry inside my waistband under my shirt. That's bout as good as it gets. Suppose I could stash it in my underwear, but I may not want to draw it without laytex gloves.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
As it is, I carry inside my waistband under my shirt. That's bout as good as it gets. Suppose I could stash it in my underwear, but I may not want to draw it without laytex gloves.
Maybe change your ginch more often then :)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Have you tried carrying IWB in the 4-5 o’clock position? To me it’s way more comfortable

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
What kind of work are you doing specifically? Are you having to stoop, climb ladders, reach into small enclosed spaces? Dealing with extra equipment like a tool belt? Depending on what your are doing and where your center of gravity is. You might want to reconsider carrying at your waist level.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
What kind of work are you doing specifically? Are you having to stoop, climb ladders, reach into small enclosed spaces? Dealing with extra equipment like a tool belt? Depending on what your are doing and where your center of gravity is. You might want to reconsider carrying at your waist level.
It's further up in the thread. I install carpet, lots of stooping, a small tool pouch. Crawling around floors. Ankle holsters, don't trust them. And they don't work for normal sized ( non tiny) piztols. Chest holsters and shoulder rigs, they are expensive for anything decient.

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ah...got it. Carpet installation. Yeah, lots of kneeling, crawling, heavy lift. Shoulder & chest holsters would just get in the way. You get hot & sweaty and you really don’t want that much heat trapping gear on you. I’d hate to suggest it but what about some type of drop holster that secured to your thigh? Have it customized to match your tool pouch? A G20 ain’t exactly a “easy” carry piece.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
How did you like it in the 4-5 o'clock position?
It's different, but not uncomfortable. The handle profiles more around work, but that's not a big deal. Doesn't jab the gut, a big plus. While working, my shirt rides up and the grip sticks out a bit. Doesn't happen outside of work. I can't tell when it's showing.
I'm not fully impressed, and currently undecided.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Up
How did you like it in the 4-5 o'clock position?
Update to that, draw isn't as smooth. I got bored this morning and practiced clearing leather. Apendix is a breeze in and out, at 5 o-clock I had trouble clearing, requiring several yanks to get it clear. I would have to play with different cants. My holster currently holds my pistol at 90 degrees from my belt line.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Up

Update to that, draw isn't as smooth. I got bored this morning and practiced clearing leather. Apendix is a breeze in and out, at 5 o-clock I had trouble clearing, requiring several yanks to get it clear. I would have to play with different cants. My holster currently holds my pistol at 90 degrees from my belt line.

I carry a Glock 43 in a cross breed IWB with a slight forward cant in the 4 o’clock position(Pictured below)

24qZR9t.jpg

I can draw it pretty smooth....3 o’clock is much faster but the 4 o’clock allows me to conceal my draw better so the speed isn’t as much of a problem.

I also will carry often times IWB without a holster and the guns stays in the 4 o’clock position when wearing a nice tight belt.

I worked for years carrying a Glock 23 IWB without a holster in the 3-4 o’clock position without any problems. So drawing from that position is very natural for me.

Latest Discussions