Ed Martin?

kip42

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am interested in attending one of Ed Martins monthly seminars. How can I get ahold of him? I emailed him through the website several times but cant get through. There is no phone number listed. I asked two instructors and they said it was disrespectful to ask them how to get ahold of another instructor.

Hayseed

White Belt
Reaction score
I believe he posts pretty regularly on Kutaki.org, IIRC his username is "Papasan". Send him a PM.

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I asked two instructors and they said it was disrespectful to ask them how to get ahold of another instructor.

That is outrageous!

There are people in the org that my teacher does not necesarily hold in high esteem, but he would still help his students to contact them and would do no more than decline to comment about them or at most raise one eyebrow. But he would never be obstructive or dismissive.

Your problem is probably due to either paranoid instructors worrying about their own instruction being contradicted or criticised, or because they are part of the anti Ed Martin brigade, which you can see in action on the aforemention Kutaki.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is outrageous!

There are people in the org that my teacher does not necesarily hold in high esteem, but he would still help his students to contact them and would do no more than decline to comment about them or at most raise one eyebrow. But he would never be obstructive or dismissive.

Your problem is probably due to either paranoid instructors worrying about their own instruction being contradicted or criticised, or because they are part of the anti Ed Martin brigade, which you can see in action on the aforemention Kutaki.

Well, he'd get the same reaction in Genbukan.

Your sensei is supposed to be the one in charge of your training. If you bypass him, it is like saying you don't really trust him to know what's best for your training. This is fairly offensive. As your sensei, he is also 'responsible' for you in the organization. If he doesn't know what you are up to, that could be a problem as well. If there is anything he doesn't know or can't help you with, he asks his sensei, and then gets back to you.

The only way it wouldn't be a problem is if he was in the loop all the time so that you are not bypassing him.

This is another reason why people in the kans are not allowed to be a member of any other ninjutsu organization. To do so would be to say that you don't feel that your teachers are not qualified. The same holds true in most traditional Japanese martial arts orgnizations btw. You don't bypass your sensei.

If he has a specific reason to want to talk to Ed Martin, then he should say so and ask his sensei to help him contact Ed for the purpose of XYZ while keeping him in the loop.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is outrageous!

Your sensei is supposed to be the one in charge of your training. If you bypass him, it is like saying you don't really trust him to know what's best for your training. This is fairly offensive. As your sensei, he is also 'responsible' for you in the organization. If he doesn't know what you are up to, that could be a problem as well. If there is anything he doesn't know or can't help you with, he asks his sensei, and then gets back to you.

The only way it wouldn't be a problem is if he was in the loop all the time so that you are not bypassing him. If he has a specific reason to want to talk to Ed Martin, then he should say so and ask his sensei to help him contact Ed for the purpose of XYZ while keeping him in the loop.

This is another reason why people in the kans are not allowed to be a member of any other ninjutsu organization. To do so would be to say that you don't feel that your teachers are not qualified. The same holds true in most traditional Japanese martial arts orgnizations btw. You don't bypass your sensei.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score

Your sensei is supposed to be the one in charge of your training. If you bypass him, it is like saying you don't really trust him to know what's best for your training. . .

You're assuming that he HAS an instructor. He never said he does, just that he asked "two instructors" for contact information. He might be looking for a teacher of his very own and is considering becoming Martin's student.

Reason I mention this is that I often get inquiries from people outside my dojo looking for an instructor and asking about someone in their geographic area (whom I may or may not know). They're not my students, and they're looking for someone else, but they know who I am so they ask me for information or further "leads".

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Dale, good to see you back here!

Kip42's posting history has indicated that he has an instructor, but is looking to go outside of them for a number of things. And he has only had that instructor for a few months. My advice for him is, once again, to trust your instructor, and listen to them. If Ed is holding an open seminar, by all means go to it, but deliberately searching out other instructors as you're in a rush to get to things is not the way to go about it.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're assuming that he HAS an instructor. He never said he does, just that he asked "two instructors" for contact information. He might be looking for a teacher of his very own and is considering becoming Martin's student.

Reason I mention this is that I often get inquiries from people outside my dojo looking for an instructor and asking about someone in their geographic area (whom I may or may not know). They're not my students, and they're looking for someone else, but they know who I am so they ask me for information or further "leads".

Hi Dale, good to see you again.
Looking back to the OP, I see it is not mentioned there.

I assumed that, because he wanted to participate in a seminar, he was already a member and therefore had an instructor.
Which could still be the case because I seem to recall him mentioning an instructor.
Regardless, you are correct that if he has no instructor, it is a different story.

iamfor3

White Belt
Reaction score
Ed Martin will be in Butler Pa aug 20th to train 10-4pm open to all

Latest Discussions