E really dioes mean 'EMPTY'

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
:lol:
ah, yes, laziness bit me this morning...
My '88 model chevy van is, well...old. the paint flakes, the muffler is hinted and the shocks are shocking....
So I never put in more than a few gallons of gas, just on the odd chance the beast will die on me I don't have to cry about the gas in the tank.

Now last time I was at the filling station I was lazy, I put in 10 bucks worth, instead of the usual 20.

Now this morning as ot in the car I noticed the little orange needle sticking with the red spot over to the far left of the gauge...to the left side of it, to be more precise.
I took the kid to school, and on the way home I began to wonder....
then I drove up the hill to my house, the van began to sputter - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not on the HILL!!!

We made it - barely....we (the van and I) sputter the last few yards to the driveway and as I turn in (nose pointing downhill) with a couple more sputters.....nothing more she said.

My van is now officially BONE DRY! :lfao:

Yes, I can laugh because I do carry a canister for just such occasions. And the gas station is a minute from the house. I would have been only mildly smiling if the beast had run out of juice on the hill tho ;)

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, more like an inconvenience...As I mentioned the canister is in the van, for just such moments! :)

And we all know, that gas has to be used up now and then or it goes bad! ;)

But I don't mind everybody pointing and laughing....I certainly deserve it! :lol:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't read the words 'Chevy Van' without that song jumping into my head. Just sayin'...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
LOL, more like an inconvenience...As I mentioned the canister is in the van, for just such moments! :)

And we all know, that gas has to be used up now and then or it goes bad! ;)

But I don't mind everybody pointing and laughing....I certainly deserve it! :lol:
What is this "gas" thing?

I have to say, I've forgotten to charge the car a few times, and the next day is dicey. While I have no complaints about the electric car, I can't just get some gas in a can and go on my way. E for me would stand for Extremely Inconvenient. :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I have to say, I've forgotten to charge the car a few times, and the next day is dicey. While I have no complaints about the electric car, I can't just get some gas in a can and go on my way. E for me would stand for Extremely Inconvenient. :)

AAA is your friend. It's definitely mine. We've had it for over 30 years, and every single year, it has paid for itself in one way or another. It's the best deal going.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

LOL,! What took you so long! I figurered you'd mention that marvelous new car of yours in the FIRST post! :roflmao:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I had this happen to me twice. Once driving to work (I was a mechanic at the time) I was at a stop light on Route 9 in Massachusetts and I looked at my gas gauge and it read 1/4 of a tank. I looked up the hill and saw a gas station and decided to stop there for gas. I looked back at my gas gauge that was at 1/4 of a tank and watched the gas gauge drop from 1/4 of a tank to E in less than a second and teh car shut off. I walked up the hill, got gas so I could go fill it up.

Then one hot summer day after work, I was driving home when I looked at my gas gauge and it was at 1/4...it immediately went from 1/4 to E and shut off. I went from 30 to stop rather quickly. However this time I had to walk 5 miles to my house, to borrow a car to go get gas.... it was 95 degrees, I was just out of work and filthy (mechanic) so it was a rather long, hot miserable walk home

I sold that car and rebuilt the engine in my Buick... it ran out of gas only once and it was on E and I was right in front of the gas pumps... I knew there was a reeason I liked that Buick

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've run out of gas a couple times in my life. What I really enjoy is people honking their horns at me as I push my car out of traffic. Yes, I know I'm in your way. I'm really sorry. The sooner I get this car out of your way, the sooner you'll be able to go. A little help pushing it would be appreciated. As amazing as it may seem, honking the horn at me doesn't make my car move any faster, but a pair of helping hands on the bumper would.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I've run out of gas a couple times in my life. What I really enjoy is people honking their horns at me as I push my car out of traffic. Yes, I know I'm in your way. I'm really sorry. The sooner I get this car out of your way, the sooner you'll be able to go. A little help pushing it would be appreciated. As amazing as it may seem, honking the horn at me doesn't make my car move any faster, but a pair of helping hands on the bumper would.

I feel your pain...route 9 where the Comet first died is a 55 mph 2 lane highway... and I had to push up hill because lord knows the guy behind me beeping will not go around and let me back it in to the emergency lane

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before you hike to the gas station with that canister -- wait a bit. One thing that I've found is that, often, when a car sputters to a stop with "no" gas, it won't start right away -- but if you wait a couple minutes, it will start. My personal theory is simply that the wait lets any gas left in the tank that was sloshed away from the pickup settle back. It's save me from

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have actually done that before, and I am guessing the pickup is in the back of the tank, since with the nose pointing downhill there is no cranking it when I drive it this dry. I am just happy I don't drive a diesel! :D (yes, I managed to run out in one of those. THAT was not pretty! Though I had a guy offer me a lift to the gas station...ah, thanks but no thanks, Mom said not to! :))

Latest Discussions