DWI Shock Tactics In Ca. School

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25123570/

In an effort to scare the dangers of drunk driving into school kids, a Ca. school had police officers come into the classrooms and tell students that classmates had been killed in an accident. None of this was true however.

Thoughts?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Makes me think we are teaching kids that Grownups/Cops Lie, and that the bad things adults claim will happen, actually don't.

*shrug*

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, the kids got the message, and that's the point, but I don't think it would work in all schools, nor will it ever become mainstream. If it ever got to that point, kids will be expecting this kind of exercise and would make the process ineffective.

There are better ways to get this message across to kids... And it's not the school's responsibility to do somethings like this.

Something like this happened when I was high school. I called it "Survival of the Fittest."

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While the deaths of those you know will always make a greater impact than the death of strangers, I find lying about death - especially the type of lie told here - to be truly reprehensible. Aside from the potential for lawsuits I see coming from this, there is also the possibility of teens drinking and driving more in response, simply to prove that it won't happen to them... and, sadly and statistically, it will. :(

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
They're liars. And the teachers and administrators who went along with it are also liars. You can't respect liars or what comes out of their mouths.
Congratulations pigs. You've proven to the kids that cops are manipulative lying scum and can't be trusted. You've made the job of every honest police officer harder. Someday a witness will hold back or a victim won't come forward because of what you taught them. And it's all so you can pat yourself on the back for making a cheap point.

That's all there is to say on the subject.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While the deaths of those you know will always make a greater impact than the death of strangers, I find lying about death - especially the type of lie told here - to be truly reprehensible. Aside from the potential for lawsuits I see coming from this, there is also the possibility of teens drinking and driving more in response, simply to prove that it won't happen to them... and, sadly and statistically, it will. :(

I agree. Many times the school, local PD and FD, will have a mock accident scene outside. This is designed to show students the realities of DUI. Does it get the point across? I'm sure to some yes, and others no.

IMHO, I think that this was a bit over the top. Again, I understand what they were trying to do, but I don't think that this was the best way to go.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They're liars. And the teachers and administrators who went along with it are also liars. You can't respect liars or what comes out of their mouths.
Congratulations pigs. You've proven to the kids that cops are manipulative lying scum and can't be trusted. You've made the job of every honest police officer harder. Someday a witness will hold back or a victim won't come forward because of what you taught them. And it's all so you can pat yourself on the back for making a cheap point.

That's all there is to say on the subject.

Sigh....well, I've pointed it out in other threads, so may as well do it again. Its quite obvious of your dislike for LEOs, but is it really necessary to say this stuff? Would it be right if one was talking about a minority group or someone who was Polish, Italian or German, to use an offensive name to describe them?

I'm not intending this thread to be derailed by your lack of tasteful words, so no need to talk about it further, but it sure would be nice if you'd take the time to put a bit more thought into what you're saying, so as to avoid offending anyone!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree. Many times the school, local PD and FD, will have a mock accident scene outside. This is designed to show students the realities of DUI. Does it get the point across? I'm sure to some yes, and others no.

There was a movie they use to show up here in Traffic Court to first time DUI offenders it was actual footage taken at accident scenes..That had far more impact that a mock..

IMHO, I think that this was a bit over the top. Again, I understand what they were trying to do, but I don't think that this was the best way to go.

You are correct...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

In an effort to scare the dangers of drunk driving into school kids, a Ca. school had police officers come into the classrooms and tell students that classmates had been killed in an accident. None of this was true however.

Thoughts?
I understand the goal. I could even respect the tactic, if it hadn't been maintained for a period of hours. The only way I could see participating in something like that would be for the "dead" student to return within a few minutes. Something like the trooper or administrator comes into the class, announces that Pete Partyboy was killed in DUI crash; that's why he's not in class today. Brief reaction... Pete comes in. Follow up by serious discussion of DUI and other issues with underage drinking and graduation parties in general. (Some of the worst I've dealt with didn't involve drugs or alcohol, just youthful "exuberance.") Shock tactic starts the class -- but ends quickly, not is maintained for hours.

(Imagine if a student in shock and grief were to have slipped out of school, and done something tragic, like commit suicide or attack the person they believe responsible, like the kid that hosted the party they knew the kid was at that night...)

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu

Thoughts?

Hmm.

Well we all know what the road to hell is paved with......*shrug*

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand the goal. I could even respect the tactic, if it hadn't been maintained for a period of hours. The only way I could see participating in something like that would be for the "dead" student to return within a few minutes. Something like the trooper or administrator comes into the class, announces that Pete Partyboy was killed in DUI crash; that's why he's not in class today. Brief reaction... Pete comes in. Follow up by serious discussion of DUI and other issues with underage drinking and graduation parties in general. (Some of the worst I've dealt with didn't involve drugs or alcohol, just youthful "exuberance.") Shock tactic starts the class -- but ends quickly, not is maintained for hours.

(Imagine if a student in shock and grief were to have slipped out of school, and done something tragic, like commit suicide or attack the person they believe responsible, like the kid that hosted the party they knew the kid was at that night...)

Yes, I think your version would have been a better choice. :)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also remember seeing a news story (can't find it now) about an anti-drinking campaign aimed at teen drivers where a car was pushed off the third floor roof of the school. Students were on the roof watching the car get pushed, and were then allowed to examine the totaled car from a safe distance. They were then showed pictures of DUI crashes that showed damage that was much, much worse than that sustained by the car in the three story fall. It was videotaped for use with future classes.

Part of the follow-up for the news story stated that there were fewer DUIs than usual after the school Prom a couple of weeks later; I guess the car falling made a real impact (pun intended) on the students. Only time will tell if the video will be as effective as seeing the car fall in person.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Thoughts?

Well, like others have already pointed out, this will do nothing but discourage the students from trusting authority figures, 'cause they just lied in order to drive home a point.

It was also unneccesary...I know I got the crap scared outta me as a kid just by seeing videos of actual car accidents caused by drunk driving. Gods know that there's enough real incidents that cost lives to use as examples not to have to make stuff up.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was also unneccesary...I know I got the crap scared outta me as a kid just by seeing videos of actual car accidents caused by drunk driving. Gods know that there's enough real incidents that cost lives to use as examples not to have to make stuff up.

Yeah, they showed us those videos in Drivers Ed too... and they had some serious impact.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I read about this hoax. It's crazy. I would have been very offended. I can easily see it backfiring. I wouldn't believe anything those teachers ever told me again.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In addition to the concern that this is basically school-sanctioned lying, I also worry about the effect of telling a bunch of students...some of whom were likely close friends with the allegedly deceased...that their fellow student just died in a carwreck. Nice cup of childhood mental trauma anyone?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, like others have already pointed out, this will do nothing but discourage the students from trusting authority figures, 'cause they just lied in order to drive home a point.

Yeah, they showed us those videos in Drivers Ed too... and they had some serious impact.

Unfortunately, thanks to the development of video games and horror movie effects, kids have seen lots worse than what the real world looks like. They're numb to a lot of things that worked years ago -- but they've got every ounce (and possibly some more) of the youthful invincibility we had.

That doesn't excuse what could really be described as hours of torture, however. Like I said; I could see it as a brief shock tactic, akin to distributing a fake newspaper with each student's own name as the victim... (EG, Cryozombie gets a headline reading "Cryozombie Killed by Drunk Driver" or "RandomPhantom007 Dies In Car Crash; Alcohol A Factor")

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Unfortunately, thanks to the development of video games and horror movie effects, kids have seen lots worse than what the real world looks like. They're numb to a lot of things that worked years ago -- but they've got every ounce (and possibly some more) of the youthful invincibility we had.

That doesn't excuse what could really be described as hours of torture, however. Like I said; I could see it as a brief shock tactic, akin to distributing a fake newspaper with each student's own name as the victim... (EG, Cryozombie gets a headline reading "Cryozombie Killed by Drunk Driver" or "RandomPhantom007 Dies In Car Crash; Alcohol A Factor")

I've seen and played games like GTA and spent hours seeing how many cars I could pile up; I've also seen actual gruesome car accident scenes, including the victims. The difference between a simulated fantasy realm and real life is quite stark.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm late to this post, but I want to add...

One of the most traumatizing events that can happen in a school is for a child to die. I have experienced this first-hand as a teacher. There was also a death, a homicide, at my son's high school. In both schools the board summoned a crisis team to deal with children and staff, communicate with parents, all in order to deal with the immediate impact of hearing this terrible news. That initial shock can live with people for days, or, and I have seen this, months. Then there is a lengthy process of following up on how people are managing this news in a school.

This exercise plays games with people's psyche, erodes trust between students and adult professionals. As a teacher in that school, I would be horrified. I invest weeks, months, and years getting certain kids to understand that I am not blowing smoke, that I am not trying to trick them or manipulate them.

The more I read this stuff, the more I believe we cannot teach children by trying to scare them.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kids can tell when you are ********ting them. They aren't stupid. I see this all the time with anti-drug tactics. After initially being quite scared, they stop listening after they learn that they didn't need to be so scared after all. And your authority and trust is gone. And then they have sex or get drunk or take drugs anyways. Tell the truth, be straight, it is the only way you will have an impact.

Latest Discussions