Dutch Metal Strikes Again

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I only came across these chaps yesterday and they are the first band in many years which have caused me to have the immediate, positive, "I LIKE that!" reaction.

This is right up my musical street:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhN4T4uhIWE

Last edited by a moderator:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I never heard of them, but if you like them, they must be worth looking into.:asian:

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whilst on my search to find out about Delain, I have also come across another excellent band in the same genre. They are Lacuna Coil and, as far as I know, hail from Italy:

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And whilst I am in this vein, a nostalgic nod to a couple of ladies who scythed down the opposition to female 'frontmen' in metal:

This fabulous Canadian I had the pleasure of seeing 'in the flesh' when she toured England back when Noah was a lad :D

And a song of hers that I love {caution poor quality video sadly}:

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One last one for tonight:

This video is unique, to me, as I had the chance to be in it :lol:. Gemma's singing voice is amazing - even more so when you are in the same room as her. That girl does not need a microphone :D.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow... just like ABBA! :uhyeah:

Okay... they're harder than ABBA, but I wouldn't go as far as to call them Metal... Hard Rock yes... along the lines of Heart or Foreigner...

I like what I've heard so far.

There are a lot of great bands just about anywhere and everywhere you look.

Wish them long and continuing success.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Apparently the term for this particular genre is "Symphonic Metal", which fits it rather well I think :D.

We just used to call it Queensryche back in my day :lol:.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another find in the apparently rich vein of splendid music that I have missed in recent years:

The singers voice is a little too 'thin' for me, reminding me of Kate Bush in her earlier days.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was never a huge Queensryche fan, I have to admit. Some of their stuff I liked but, despite their obvious talent, they never really 'clicked' with me.

However, reading some of the comments on that video link you posted make me despair of the judgement and common sense of some of todays 'youth'. They make me feel like shouting back something along the lines of "Of course the video looks bad, it was made 30 years ago you numpty! It's probably older than your inbred father! Now go practise your banjo ..." :lol:.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another find in the apparently rich vein of splendid music that I have missed in recent years:

The singers voice is a little too 'thin' for me, reminding me of Kate Bush in her earlier days.

Nice. This is my kind of music. I also like manowar a lot. Though sadly it's been 8 years or so since I last saw them.

If you like symphonic metal, you might also like this:

[yt]iijKLHCQw5o[/yt]

And no doubt you already know this one:

[yt]RFSJAfkF03I[/yt]

Good times. 10 years ago I would visit the national metal festival every year. That was when it was still a real metal event, where you'd only find metal heads. In the olden days, beer and burgers were the main sustenance. These days, These days it's a 3 day summer event that draws 80 thousand people, most of which don't even like metal, but just show up because it's a summer event. Most of them don't even watch the bands :( the atmosphere is just dead.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
However, reading some of the comments on that video link you posted make me despair of the judgement and common sense of some of todays 'youth'. They make me feel like shouting back something along the lines of "Of course the video looks bad, it was made 30 years ago you numpty! It's probably older than your inbred father! Now go practise your banjo ..." :lol:.

:lol:

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

For some reason, the second link in post#1 stopped working - this one works ... for now at least :D

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another 'discovery' of a band right up my street and new to my ears:

It is wonderful to see that this genre has finally flowered after so long in the wilderness. I remember going to see a band called Equinox in Burton-on-Trent many moons ago {pre-bike accident era} who were essentially Yes with a female singer and hoping at the time that they would do well. Sadly they disappeared without a trace - just goes to show that talent is no guarantee of success :(.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Far from being 'metal' but still very good music:

Puts me in mind of Kiki Dee or Judie Tzuke.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh by the way, Bruno, I meant to say this the other day but it must have slipped though my 'to do list' net :D.

That Eluvietie track was excellent music ruined by the shouty-stampy 'orc' vocals. I have never liked that 'style' of 'singing' and I never will - I am cursed with a sense of musicality that does not include gutteral 'rap' :lol:.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A new one on the horizon. I am not sure of where they are from yet - might be Hungary, might be Germany; I shall investigate.

[yt]T_tL-IxHgPw[/yt]

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
She is Finnish, IIRC, and used to sing for Nightwish. Great singer. She got fired from the band in 2005, and has gone solo since then.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh by the way, Bruno, I meant to say this the other day but it must have slipped though my 'to do list' net :D.

That Eluvietie track was excellent music ruined by the shouty-stampy 'orc' vocals. I have never liked that 'style' of 'singing' and I never will - I am cursed with a sense of musicality that does not include gutteral 'rap' :lol:.

Barbarian... :p ;)

It's called 'grunt' btw, not rap... :D
To be honest I quite like it IF it is done well. It may surprise you but it is pretty difficult to do it right. Doing it wrong can cause bad things. The singer of gorefest is a good example of a person doing it wrong. He had his lungs collapse once because they got detached from his ribcage.

A common setup is to pair male grunt with female soprano; called beauty and the beast. Tristania used to be like this before they sold out and went commercial (ironically, a song from this period is called 'selling out' :)

[yt]JyXZmPDhnf4[/yt]

Latest Discussions