Drunken Monkey

S

shaolinchi

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knew of any schools in the CT or MA area that teaches Drunken Monkey, or any Monkey style? I have been looking for a while, but can't seem to stumble across anything. There are many many books out there on it, but I don't want to learn from books! Thanks in advance :)

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
could'nt find any Kung Fu schools that were all about teaching Monkey.

However, Chuck Merriman teaches in CT. He is a Hachidan in Okinawan Goju ryu Karate-do.
Very Good Instructor!

good luck.
KE

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shaolinchi said:
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knew of any schools in the CT or MA area that teaches Drunken Monkey, or any Monkey style? I have been looking for a while, but can't seem to stumble across anything. There are many many books out there on it, but I don't want to learn from books! Thanks in advance :)
:rofl:

Sorry shaolinchi, no disrespect intended but I just found that so funny!

OP
S

shaolinchi

haha, didn't realize what i was saying! and Shogun can you explain to me about that art. I've never really heard of it...thanks for the help!

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dont believe I've ever seen a school that only teaches any drunken set, monkey or anything. I think your going to find that learning drunken sets is mostly done by advanced students on a teacher teaching some other style of kung fu.

7sm

OP
W

WLMantisKid

Aye, drunken forms are usually taught at a highly advanced level in many different kung fu styles. Even if you take pure drunken boxing, you're going to learn basic kung fu long before you start staggering around. Drunken movements require extreme amounts of flexibility, strength, and muscle control.

However, Troy Dunwood of California teaches 8 Immortal Drunken Boxing. do a search for him on google for the website, I dont remember it off-hand. I can't say myself how it is because I've never met him in real life, but you might check it out anyway.

OP
G

Gary Crawford

for two easy payments of $99,I'll send you a two set volumn of "Drunken Human" Style instructional video tapes!

OP
S

shaolinchi

thank you to everyone! i really appreciate it :)

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Monkey Kung fu is a high level kung fu form from north china. it is a style on its own, but it is rare to find a teacher. It is called Da Shing pek Gar (other spellings) and contains 5 monkey forms. Wood monkey, stone monkey (not stoned), drunken monkey, lost monkey, and tall monkey. Kou Tze founded the style in the spirit of the monkey. traditionally, the instructor chose one of the monkey styles for their students. which ever one suited the body of the student. at advanced levels, they could learn the other styles, but could only master one. click here for more info.

Goju Ryu Karate is one of 4 major styles of Karate. the characters mean Hard (go) and soft (ju). The techniques tend to be circular in nature. I'm sure you could find lots of info on this site. just search Goju ryu or goju.

cheers.

Kyle

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shogun said:
Monkey Kung fu is a high level kung fu form from north china. it is a style on its own, but it is rare to find a teacher. It is called Da Shing pek Gar (other spellings) and contains 5 monkey forms. Wood monkey, stone monkey (not stoned), drunken monkey, lost monkey, and tall monkey. Kou Tze founded the style in the spirit of the monkey. traditionally, the instructor chose one of the monkey styles for their students. which ever one suited the body of the student. at advanced levels, they could learn the other styles, but could only master one. click here for more info.

Kyle
Why did i know that link was going to lead to Paulie Zink?!?!

That guy is a fake ,he has some actual Hung Gar training ,but chose to exploit people with his stolen Tai Shing Pek Kwar.

Monkey is a hard system to find ,although there are many styles that have monkey forms within them.

jeff:)

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shogun said:
He is a fake. but he has some good general info on his site. guess I should have mentioned that.
Well, the info is good because it came from a legit source ,it's just bad that he used that info without permission.:mp5:

jeff:)

OP
S

shaolinchi

haha, thanks again! mind if i ask how you mean a fake? just wondering! :)

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He's a fake by not being a student of Chan Sau Chung & he's the man on Tai Hsing Pek Kwar. Zink came on the scene back in the 80's give or take & nobody "really knew" then for sure.

OP
S

shaolinchi

lol, oh for real? thats actually kind of funny. Just looking at the pictures on his website, the faces he makes are histerical...haha

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Monkey Kung Fu is a trademark and property of Michael Matsuda/Paulie Zink
Information on this site is Copyright 1998-2003 - Michael Matsuda/Paulie Zink - All Rights Reserved

wha??

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah that's probably true. As long as he doesn't call it any variation of Tai Shing Pek Kwar since the Chan's are now in Vancouver, he's probably ok. Anything else would probably bring old school problems to his door step that I don't personally think he could handle.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pai Hung Chih
(David Lamica)
Hsin Lung Kwan
443 Burncoat St.
Worcester, MA
(508) 853-7908

Pai Ching Lin (David L. Smith)
Pai-Chia Wu-Kung Hui
P.O. Box 371
New London, CT 06320
Email: Pai Ching Lin

Pai Shin Zan
(Thomas D. St. Charles)
Shaolin White Dragon
17 Donna Ave.
Derby, CT 06418
(203) 732-2715
Website

Pai T'ien Ho (Daniel Anhalt)
Pai Shou Association
129 Bridge Street
Groton, CT 06340
(860) 445-7542

These are a few places where you might be able to learn some of the drunken forms ater you reached enough rank.
There is also a White Lotus school in Conn. art :
26 Newington Rd
West Hartford

Latest Discussions