Drunken Martial Arts

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Has anyone out there ever studied drunken boxing or drunken kung-fu? Anyone care to comment on whether these are legitimate martial arts? Can anyone tell me the differences between different drunken styles?

Know of any teachers of these styles in California (especially southern CA)?

Got any good stories of TUI (training under the influence)? :)

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the drunken styles beyond what I saw in a Jackie Chan movie. I won't teach or work out with other's when I've been drinking nor will I go shooting for the obvious reasons. I did have a rather spectacular explosion when I hit the chandeler in my kitchen doing long three about two inches from the bottom of a bottle of Cuervo.

M

MountainSage

In my TKD school one guy takes Kung Fu at college and does some drunken style. I've sparred with him and find this style to be effective in the sense that you are drawn towards your opponent where he can strike out quickly with a hand technique or a low leg technique. It also confusing because of the constant body level changes. For a person of smaller stature I think this is an execellent addition.

Mountain Sage

M

Master of Blades

lol I didnt realise there was actually a Drunken Style! Wow :rolleyes:

J

Jas0n

My understanding is your movements make it seem as your drunk but your not actually drunk...Sorrect me if i am wrong?

M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by Jas0n
My understanding is your movements make it seem as your drunk but your not actually drunk...Sorrect me if i am wrong?

So bit like 5 Animals only Drunk?

M

MartialArtist

Yeah, you don't fight drunk if I remember. You act like it for deception.

If you're drunk, you won't remember anything or that you even got into a fight, and most fights involving drunkards are sluggish and they just throw their fists in some weird figure 8 type thing or go back and forth <-->

M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by MartialArtist
Yeah, you don't fight drunk if I remember. You act like it for deception.

If you're drunk, you won't remember anything or that you even got into a fight, and most fights involving drunkards are sluggish and they just throw their fists in some weird figure 8 type thing or go back and forth <-->

Okay, thanks for the info :asian:

T

theneuhauser

actually, being drunk was supposed to be the preferred state for applying the technique. dulls the senses and all.

M

MartialArtist

Have anyone seen a fight between two drunks? Most end up with both guys going to the ground, out cold or both just lay there on the ground after doing the figure 8 "punches" or the side sway motion "punches". That might have to do with Royce's high numbers of 80% of the fights or something like that go to the ground w/ both people.

T

TLH3rdDan

yes there are drunken styles... yes they are effective mainly due to there deceptive nature... they are very demanding as far as physical training... alot of break falls... wah lum pai has a drunken set in it... ive only seen it done once... it was really interesting... and no drinking is involved in the training as far as i know... i dont see how you could be drunk and still have the timing and corrodination to pull the techniques off... and no its nothing like 5 animal

D

diggum

many of the styles and arts have one or more "drunken" sets. There's no standard "Drunken Boxing" style that you can go learn. Most of the Chinese variations tend to center their concept around an old Chinese legend about a group of Immortals who are all drunk and take a little boat ride. The forms tend to base the movements off of the personality of each immortal. This ends up giving a good arsenal of techniques - some brute strength moves, some small joint manipulation, fighting from odd levels or balances, etc.

It's fun as hell to watch, and Jackie's movies using it as the theme are some of his best - he's having fun and it's a very humor-laden topic. I've got some training videos that have a Shaolin monk running through the form empty-hand, with a staff, and finally with a sword. Very deceptive and dangerous. Many of the moves are feints that are simply used to get in close and tie up the opponent.

M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by TLH3rdDan
... and no its nothing like 5 animal

Lol just like you to go out of your way and make me feel stupid :rolleyes: Guess it gets me back for the "The Loser has....." thing huh :shrug:

OP
Zepp

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
diggum,
Actually, I have heard of a self-contained art called drunken boxing (or Zai Quan, I think). It's hard to find any concrete information on the internet on it or any other drunken style, which is why I posted here in the hopes that someone had some.

I did however find that story you mentioned about the Eight Immortals. I'll see if I can find it again and post the link.

T

TLH3rdDan

Lol just like you to go out of your way and make me feel stupid Guess it gets me back for the "The Loser has....." thing huh
:rofl: pay back is a b***h huh lol

M

Master of Blades

:rofl: pay back is a b***h huh lol

Now that you mention it.........Just remember, what goes around comes around........AGAIN!!!! MWUAHAHAHAHA :rofl:

T

TLH3rdDan

hey thats cool i dont mind a little ribbing... just remember ill be coming right back at ya lol

M

Master of Blades

hey thats cool i dont mind a little ribbing... just remember ill be coming right back at ya lol

I'll keep that in mind.........just remember that its ALL good :rofl:

S

SRyuFighter

Drunken kung fu was designed for monks who were wanting to act as if they were drunk when leaving a bar so they wouldn't get hassled by the military. They would act as if they were drunk and pretend it was all random when they were beating the crap out of the officer. Quite an ingenous idea.

Latest Discussions