Double Factors In Short Form 1

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Fellow Kenpoists,

I just wanted to pose a question about Short Form 1 and the double factor principles involved in the form and what others think and practice.

When executing Short 1 and applying the double factor principles, do you apply the principle to every block?

For example, when going from your second inward block to the first vertical outward, do you apply the principle or just on the last block of each sequence?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
UPK Pittsburgh

www.unitedparkerskenpo.comI

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True2Kenpo said:
Fellow Kenpoists,

I just wanted to pose a question about Short Form 1 and the double factor principles involved in the form and what others think and practice.

When executing Short 1 and applying the double factor principles, do you apply the principle to every block?

For example, when going from your second inward block to the first vertical outward, do you apply the principle or just on the last block of each sequence?

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
UPK Pittsburgh

We train to start the return motion of your blocking hand just prior to starting your next block. This not only takes off the brakes for proper motion, but provides a double factor.
Sean

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I learned it initially as single blocks, and then progressed to double factors.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
I learned it initially as single blocks, and then progressed to double factors.
I think its there no matter what, it just has more to do with how you percieve it.
Sean

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was there, and it wasn't..hard to type, y'know? Best way I can explain it was, it was real simple at first, then they inserted the double factors as the 'correct' way to do it.

Its also been a while so I'm a bit fuzzy remembering, y'know? :)

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
True2Kenpo said:
Fellow Kenpoists,

As usual, we should apply principles whenever they are necessary. There are always exceptions to the rules.

:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
True2Kenpo said:
Fellow Kenpoists,

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
UPK Pittsburgh

Well as Ed Parker always told me, "It depends." What are you utilizing the double factor for. That will tll me the level you are working at as well as the possible interpretation.

D

DeilGyre

I think it's better taught with single blocks in the beginning too.
Heh, I remember how Short Form 1 was taught to me - cocking hands up like I was doing the strikes from Thundering Hammers for the inward blocks.
Another instructor came in from out of town, and basically said, "What the hell are you doing?"
:)

Latest Discussions