Keebong/ kubuton

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
How relevant is use is one of these in your opinion? Hammerfist Self-Defense Aluminum Ruby Red Kubaton
My studio includes extra curricular training with these each year. I love the simplicity and effectiveness of this weapon. My grandfather was in a fighting gang in Flint, MI in the 1940's and regularly carried a six inch piece of a half inch steel rod into fights. I never understood why until I trained with a keebong/ kubuton.
Would you be willing to carry one? or would you just laugh at them like several of my friends have?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
How relevant is use is one of these in your opinion? Hammerfist Self-Defense Aluminum Ruby Red Kubaton
My studio includes extra curricular training with these each year. I love the simplicity and effectiveness of this weapon. My grandfather was in a fighting gang in Flint, MI in the 1940's and regularly carried a six inch piece of a half inch steel rod into fights. I never understood why until I trained with a keebong/ kubuton.
Would you be willing to carry one? or would you just laugh at them like several of my friends have?
I carry a tactical flashlight as a key chain and a Tuffwriter tactical pen as a part of my EDC. We train the Kubaton/Pasak as part of our intermediate level curriculum so it is relevant.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
About as silly as you can get in a weapon. They are basically classed as a weapon and then are less effective than non weapons like a rock.

What you are going to do is come up against a guy you can't handle and then realise if you couldn't handle him unarmed then a kubotan is not going to be all that much help.

Carry a torch.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like the kubaton and do teach it from time to time. In Australia it is not legal to carry one unless you attach your keys to it. However, used properly it is very effective. It is also very good for defending against grabs and holds.
:asian:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
About as silly as you can get in a weapon. They are basically classed as a weapon and then are less effective than non weapons like a rock.

What you are going to do is come up against a guy you can't handle and then realise if you couldn't handle him unarmed then a kubotan is not going to be all that much help.

Carry a torch.

I agree. If you aren't planning to carry an actual weapon, like a gun, and deal with possible consequences, then learn to use improvised weapons that are just everyday objects. It might make a "self-defense" claim a lot more plausible. Carrying "tactical" anything can make it seem like you are looking for trouble.

BTW Drop in the States a torch is a large flaming object suitable only for Olympic runners and possibly for burning zombies. I assume you are referring to what we call a "flashlight".

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I prefer a tactical flashlight as it does the same purpose and can be utilized to take some ones vision by turning it on while they are looking at it.
It also from personal experience comes in handy in the dark especially when at the Grand Canyon. ;) I always have one with me!

Latest Discussions