Dog Boxing/Fukien Ground Fighting

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, but I would be interested in hearing more about it. Do you practice it?

OP
B

barnaby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No -- I have a book and have always been interested but it's so rare. in the Bay Area of California is the only school I've seen teaching it -- it's a family style, involves many dirty tricks which modern fighters would consider unorthodox, in dealing with ground fighting. Let's see about links...................................................okay I'm back --here's the book I have, only one I know of -- (look around if you're interested, 'cause I've seen it cheaper) -- http://www.fightingarts.com/estore/catalog_books_chinese.shtml

couldn't find the school I had in mind but anyway, if this strikes your fancy maybe we can keep this thread active. Best, B

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. If you have the book could you comment on it and how it is laid out. Is it grappling from a grappling stand point or a striker's stand point. What do the techniques look like? From the cover it looks to me like it is grappling from a striker's stand point.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have heard of this. From what I have heard, it is a ground grappling style based on "Shaolin Principles" apparently created, according to this most frequently cited story, by the first generation of Shaolin monks post-destruction of one of the temples.

It apparently is more popular now in Malasia etc than in China proper or Taiwan.

It apparently emphasises "quick breaks" rather than submissions, whatever that means.

OP
B

barnaby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The book is laid out using many photographs which make it fairly easy to follow. There are kicks from th eground as Viking was saying, but it also has some techniques and drills where both are on the ground. the drills look especially interesting, as they are as elaborate as the form, and involve two people on mats, falling, rolling out of situations and attacking very quickly in response. thanks Viking for the footage, I'll be sure to check it out when i'm at a computer that can handle that. if anyone gets ahold of the book, I'll be interested in hearing more. it's a very rare form so if anyone finds a school I'd also love to hear about that.

Latest Discussions