Does your school teach elbow energy...

jg_wc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what other schools/lineages teach in regards to elbow energy.
In the little experience I have in talking to other schools i've found that some don't spend any time teaching or exploring this concept, while others give it a lot of importance (i.e. first section of SLT is all about developing elbow energy)

What does your school say?

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Making proper use of the elbow is very important in my school since it's considered a component of good structure.

OzPaul

Green Belt
Reaction score
When practicing SLT one of the main things i focus on is my elbow, when doing the tan sau's i focus on pushing the elbow forward and when doing the wu sao its about drawing the elbow back whilst having forward force from the wrist... if that makes sense.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what other schools/lineages teach in regards to elbow energy.
In the little experience I have in talking to other schools i've found that some don't spend any time teaching or exploring this concept, while others give it a lot of importance (i.e. first section of SLT is all about developing elbow energy)

What does your school say?
--------------------------------------------------------
The elbow is very important in hand structure.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the elbow in muay thai is a both offence and defence and learning how to use it is the same as learning how to kick properly --- a properly directed elbow is very effective at close quarters :)

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When practicing SLT one of the main things i focus on is my elbow, when doing the tan sau's i focus on pushing the elbow forward and when doing the wu sao its about drawing the elbow back whilst having forward force from the wrist... if that makes sense.

Whats your WC lineage if you don't mind saying because I've studied a bit under two and one of them (WSL Lineage) was the one that put heavy emphasis on the elbow being the key element to the hand techniques.

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Any WC kwoon that does not teach proper elbow structure, energy, etc = utter nonsense.

OP
J

jg_wc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
cheers guys seems that most put a lot of emphasis on elbow energy.

Just wondering, does your school encourage a slow siu lim tao? Let's say more than 10 minutes for the first section? I've always been told the first section is where elbow energy is developed and that it should be practiced slowly. Is yours slow? What other ways are there to develop this energy?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
cheers guys seems that most put a lot of emphasis on elbow energy.

Just wondering, does your school encourage a slow siu lim tao? Let's say more than 10 minutes for the first section? I've always been told the first section is where elbow energy is developed and that it should be practiced slowly. Is yours slow? What other ways are there to develop this energy?

If you mean the section where you do the three fook saos, then yes, we are encouraged to do that section slowly.

OP
J

jg_wc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you mean the section where you do the three fook saos, then yes, we are encouraged to do that section slowly.
Cheers,

If you don't mind me asking, what Lineage are you from? And by slowly, how long is your first section (3 fook saus) roughly?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cheers,

If you don't mind me asking, what Lineage are you from? And by slowly, how long is your first section (3 fook saus) roughly?

I study under Sifu Russ Cichon, who is a student under Yip Ching. As for length, it all depends on how much time I have. I've done the form for a half hour in the past. With four kids these days, I don't have as much time to stand around and do that. LOL

OP
J

jg_wc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I study under Sifu Russ Cichon, who is a student under Yip Ching. As for length, it all depends on how much time I have. I've done the form for a half hour in the past. With four kids these days, I don't have as much time to stand around and do that. LOL
fair enough! Not to mention they'll probably look at daddy and think wth is he doing?!?!? is he alright?!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
the elbow in muay thai is a both offence and defence and learning how to use it is the same as learning how to kick properly --- a properly directed elbow is very effective at close quarters :)

I believe they're talking about a particular approach to understanding structure and energy, not about striking with the elbow.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tony's got it, although there still is a structure behind how you do your elbow strikes. But the OP was referring to what is known as the immovable elbow theory.

OzPaul

Green Belt
Reaction score
We practice a "Lat Sau Jik Chung" drill when practicing tan sau's which emphasizes elbow power. Standing in YGKYM have your training partner stand in front of you and have them apply forward pressure on your tan sau from underneath, say half way along your forearm. Their job is to stop your tan sau going forward and not to re-direct it up, down or to the side as you push the tan forward from the elbow. Your partner then randomly releases quickly and if you are training properly your tan will shoot straight forward and you punch your opponent. (keeping the wrist relaxed allows you to change shape of the hand quickly). If you have poor forward force you will either, stay in the same position or "chase hands". It's one of my favourite drills.

OP
J

jg_wc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We practice a "Lat Sau Jik Chung" drill when practicing tan sau's which emphasizes elbow power. Standing in YGKYM have your training partner stand in front of you and have them apply forward pressure on your tan sau from underneath, say half way along your forearm. Their job is to stop your tan sau going forward and not to re-direct it up, down or to the side as you push the tan forward from the elbow. Your partner then randomly releases quickly and if you are training properly your tan will shoot straight forward and you punch your opponent. (keeping the wrist relaxed allows you to change shape of the hand quickly). If you have poor forward force you will either, stay in the same position or "chase hands". It's one of my favourite drills.

sounds awesome!

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
While many lineages deviate from each other in many ways, most of the ones I've observed have emphasized the use of the elbow. After all, there is more to a punch than just the hand. If you think that a punch begins and ends with your fist, you will never generate the right amount of power.

Latest Discussions