Does WT commonly use circular attacks?

Lestat83

White Belt
Reaction score
i have a question. The system i do is spelt Wing Tchun...no mention of lineage. I asked my teacher why we use jabs, crosses, hooks and he said Wing Tchun uses curving, circular as well as straight atracks. I find this confusing given all ive read about WT and straight line attacks.

Though i can see if all you launch are straight attacks you become rather predictable and limited.

...your take on hooks and other non linear attacks in Wing Tchun?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i have a question. The system i do is spelt Wing Tchun...no mention of lineage. I asked my teacher why we use jabs, crosses, hooks and he said Wing Tchun uses curving, circular as well as straight atracks. I find this confusing given all ive read about WT and straight line attacks.

Though i can see if all you launch are straight attacks you become rather predictable and limited.

There is no such thing as center line. It is just a concept in your head. The human body works on a circle; so, center line means, between the circles, in real life. You will notice your arms aren't ever on your center, so, you must cut the circle to put them there, and that happens on a circle. Am I getting circular? LOL

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

Force is linear, energy is circular.
There are many circular motions within WC. Huen Sao is circular, the elbow action in Tan Sao is circular, Bong Sao is a spiral (circular) motion, all the turning in Chum Kiu is circular. Elbow strikes are circular motions. Many, many circular motions within wing chun.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score

My first WC instructor had a particular take on it, he said that WC was more of a triangle with a circle in it (linear preference with small circle when needed) vs animal based kung fu like chi sim which was a circle with a triangle in it (using round motions to find an angle of entry). To date I've not seen anything that contradicts that estimation of either style.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first WC instructor had a particular take on it, he said that WC was more of a triangle with a circle in it (linear preference with small circle when needed) vs animal based kung fu like chi sim which was a circle with a triangle in it (using round motions to find an angle of entry). To date I've not seen anything that contradicts that estimation of either style.
Nice. I like the triangle with a circle in it. Thanks for sharing that Eric.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
i have a question. The system i do is spelt Wing Tchun...no mention of lineage....

L'estat ask your sifu if his Wing Tchun has any connection with Sifu "Fighterman" Fernandez and his Wing Tchun Do --since his lineage is well known. Or is the similar spelling just a coincidence?

As far as circles go, some WC lineages emphasize linear techniques and do not use hook punches, etc. Personally, I agree with what Danny T said on the subject.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
It seems to me the better question here is....does most Wing Chun have "jabs, crosses, and hooks"???

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It seems to me the better question here is....does most Wing Chun have "jabs, crosses, and hooks"???

From my humble perspective:
I would be hesitant to use these terms because of the connotation to western boxing. It's an argument waiting to happen.

I have heard one of the longer bridge strikes from the later part of the system likened to a jab and can see that, though it doesn't look like classic Marquis de Queensbury jab, though.

Hook - yeah.

Cross...I would struggle with that one.

You've received some excellent answers on circularity above.

Reactions: KPM

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Confusion in names- when western boxing terms are used to label wing chun motions. The structures of wing chun and western boxing are vastly different. Western boxers tend to "load" the shoulder muscles- not so in good wing chun.imo

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good wing chun should! But as Joy pointed out, structure and body mechanics differ from the boxing terms used in your post.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
We certainly have crosses. What we don't have is the boxer straight rt or left if a southpaw. The cross is simply a straight punch which crosses the opponents punching arm. So a conventional boxer's rt cross would be a straight right crossing the opponents jab arm. A wing chun straight punch crossing the opponent's punch arm would be a cross.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good wing chun should! But as Joy pointed out, structure and body mechanics differ from the boxing terms used in your post.

I was simply quoting the OP. And I could be wrong, but the way he stated it leads me to believe he meant the western boxing version of these punches. I guess we will have to wait for him to clarify that! Wing Chun certainly has its own counterparts of boxing's "jab, cross, and hook", but as some have pointed out, wouldn't typically use those terms because they are not the same punches.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wing Chun certainly has its own counterparts of boxing's "jab, cross, and hook", but as some have pointed out, wouldn't typically use those terms because they are not the same punches.

True. Sometimes I fall back on boxing terms to simplify, especially when talking to people who don't know WC and probably wouldn't be interested in a lengthier, if more accurate explanation.

Anyway, KPM ...if you will excuse an of-topic comment... A while back on another thread, I believe you made a comment about having some isues lately with WC and spending more time lately with Silat or FMA? Is this true or did I just have another bout of rye-ergot poisoning? If so, why not start a thread. As an eternal skeptic and fellow FMA practitioner, I'd be really interested in your comments/observations.

r'n'r

White Belt
Reaction score
Hooks and uppercuts, definitely. Leg kicks, yes. Elbows, you bet. All these are circular. Straight line only makes sense if there's an opening. If there isn't one, you can create it or you can go around the defence.

The closest thing I know of to the jab would be a hand attack that is combined with a step from the pole form. Can't remember the name.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hooks and uppercuts, definitely. Leg kicks, yes. Elbows, you bet. All these are circular. Straight line only makes sense if there's an opening. If there isn't one, you can create it or you can go around the defence.

The closest thing I know of to the jab would be a hand attack that is combined with a step from the pole form. Can't remember the name.

"Arrow punch" ...or sometimes "battle punch". Used more for physical training than in sparring, It doesn't seem at all like a jab to me.

Now the WC "hook" as in my lineage's Biu Tze is far more whip-like than a boxer's hook. The WC version uses body torque but isn't driven by the shoulder like a boxer's hook. It may trace a similar arcing path through space, but it's a whole different animal. Same for the WC "lifting punch" which resembles and uppercut. Elbows can move in arcs (kup, gwai, and pai jarn)or nearly straight lines (lan sau).

Otherwise I agree. We attack following the shortest path, typically a straight line ...unless something gets in the way, then you just go around the obstacle. Now that's a curve, isn't it!

r'n'r

White Belt
Reaction score
"Arrow punch" ...or sometimes "battle punch". Used more for physical training than in sparring, It doesn't seem at all like a jab to me.

No, that's not the one. I'd call it a step up punch, because you bring your rear leg to your lead leg. I can't find a picture or a video, but it's similar to what Bruce does at 0:32 here:

OP
Lestat83

Lestat83

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry for time to reply.

I use western terms because thats what my instructor does...all WT terms we use are anglisised....ie

Angle arm...tan sau
Slap hand...pock sau
wing arm...boang sau
Pinning arm...gum sau

The reasoning for this is simple...we are there to learn a martial art not another language. If you learnt something in the academic arena you would use your native languages terms not another languages. I realise this may be heresy to a lot of other schools.
But thats how we roll :)

So my instructor uses, jab, cross etc...and yes the body mechanics are different though this isnt really covered in class so much.

I do not appreciate the lack of obvious lineage though...its like my sirname...without it where did i come from? Who were my grandparents etc

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry for time to reply.

I use western terms because thats what my instructor does...all WT terms we use are anglisised....

The reasoning for this is simple...we are there to learn a martial art not another language.

I do not appreciate the lack of obvious lineage though...its like my sirname...without it where did i come from? Who were my grandparents etc

No problem. Now you know that your lineage is Yip Man > Leung Ting > Nick Smart > your sifu > you. The Leung Ting connection is important to know since he created the "WT" system and it differs in certain important respects from other Yip Man branches.

As far as you instructor not talking about this, there could be legal reasons. Many well known WT instructors have broken away from Leung Ting's organization over the years. The reasons vary from conflicts of personality, business issues, to differences in technique. In some cases the splits were especially acrimonius and resulted in legal actions which actually prohibited the splinter group from using Leung Ting's name, and in at least one case I know of, the "WT" spelling as well.

Things like this happen all the time in the martial arts world and, IMO, don't reflect in any way on the quality of your school. That you will have to judge for yourself.

OP
Lestat83

Lestat83

White Belt
Reaction score
Hummm, interesting stuff geezer. Very inciteful, especially the bit about the WT instructors breaking off and the many reasons.

The breaking off in my school has resulted in certain changes to the curriculum...i do not believe any weapons are taught. It focusses exclusively on hand vs hand and hand vs knife etc.

One day i may pursue knife training given i believe to learn to defend against something understanding how it can be used will broaden your understanding.

Either way this thread and the other one where i mention Nick Smart are proving very informative for me and i suspect are answering questions that wouldnt be answered to my satisfaction if i asked my Sifu.

Many thanks for the info geezer et al.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I will say thought that instructors seem to break off from the Leung Ting lineage more often than from other lineages. I don't have data, except my own observation and 2nd hand experiences.