Does where you practice make a significant difference?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're not practicing in the secret temple after dark... is there really any point in practicing?
Great point. The way you train is the way you will react, for real. Americans love to spar, Okinawans not so much.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where you train matters. How much depends what you're training, probably. Having good basic equipment (things like heavy bags) is important. Being able to train on a regular basis is important, which is where an indoor space has an edge in most places. Having proper flooring for taking falls and such is vital, where that is part of the training. Storage is super helpful if you have an assortment of equipment, but I've managed without it, except for storing the mats.

Mirrors can be helpful (some students have terrible proprioception, and are better at correcting when they can actually see what's going on), but far from vital. I'd say they are helpful to me less than 10% of the time with about 10% of students, so about 1% helpful. So, worth having, but not a deal breaker, by any stretch - I've taught both with and without them. I actually find a wall of mirrors is distracting to some students, so I prefer just a few off to one side.
I’m with you on this. One back corner mirror, thats it.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
After training for over thirty years in a Korean system, I found the mirrors very helpful, but when I began studying Tai Chi, and eventually could do the Yang 24, I found that mirrors and a good wood floor weren't doing it for the feel, and focus. When I took what I was learning focus and and balance began to improve, and I started feeling the postures and flow. I also began to beware of my surroundings, which worked out well until night I spooked a big blue heron feeding by the bridge. In stead of doing "repulse the monkey", I did a first class "run from the birdie"!!!
Lol! There was a blue heron in the field by my house today.

Latest Discussions