Dobok question

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Why?

Daniel
Well, on the side of the defender, (and this may sound silly) but I don't like to assume that my attacker is wearing a shirt. For that matter, I don't like to assume that my attacker has hair. They very well may not and I'd like the practice to not be limited to that. From the side of the attacker, I find that it is easier for most people to defend a grab to clothing rather than a grab to limbs and flesh. For that reason I like to teach to defend against a situation that I find to be a more difficult one. Keep in mind that I do not regularly teach Hapkido, nor are my students regular students of Hapkido. If I was teaching a complete Hapkido program I would certainly teach to defend against both situations.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, on the side of the defender, (and this may sound silly) but I don't like to assume that my attacker is wearing a shirt.
Sorry. Not many packs of shirtless muggers out there. Given that you're teaching defenses that do not involve clothing grabs, I think you'd be safe in teaching at least a few clothing grab defenses. Most of us are wearing clothes during 99% of our interractions with other people, so defenses against clothing grabs would be quite helpful.

For that matter, I don't like to assume that my attacker has hair.
They may or may not, but the big question is whether or not the defender has hair.

They very well may not and I'd like the practice to not be limited to that. From the side of the attacker, I find that it is easier for most people to defend a grab to clothing rather than a grab to limbs and flesh. For that reason I like to teach to defend against a situation that I find to be a more difficult one.
It isn't a question of difficulty; the two are different sets of techniques. Being better at what you perceive as the more difficult of the two does not make you better at what you perceive to be the less difficult.

Keep in mind that I do not regularly teach Hapkido, nor are my students regular students of Hapkido. If I was teaching a complete Hapkido program I would certainly teach to defend against both situations.
Fair enough.

Daniel

Last edited:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry. Not many packs of shirtless muggers out there. Given that you're teaching defenses that do not involve clothing grabs, I think you'd be safe in teaching at least a few clothing grab defenses. Most of us are wearing clothes during 99% of our interractions with other people, so defenses against clothing grabs would be quite helpful.

The only time the shirtless thing comes up for us is at the beach, which can get a little rowdy if you are a surfer. But that might not be a factor where you live. But it is true most grabbing situations involve attackers with clothing. I think that the myriad of Hapkido self defense techniques, clothing or non-clothing, are there for a reason and it is best to practice them all.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The only time the shirtless thing comes up for us is at the beach, which can get a little rowdy if you are a surfer. But that might not be a factor where you live. But it is true most grabbing situations involve attackers with clothing. I think that the myriad of Hapkido self defense techniques, clothing or non-clothing, are there for a reason and it is best to practice them all.
QFT!

Daniel

Latest Discussions