Do you know your karate lineage?

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I regretably left out my instructor in Tennessee. After thinking about it, I decided to follow it, so here goes...

Chatan Yara > Tode Sakugawa > Sokon Matsumura > Itosu Yositsune > Gichen Funakoshi > Hidetaka Nishiyama > David Baize > Bill Kellett > Me

Since I spent less time with him, I normall didn't consider him when I am asked this question, but he is a teacher of mine an I spent the last three years with him. I suppose that if I begin under another teacher, I will claim lineage under them, too, if it is verifyable. Although he did not affect what I teach nearly as much as my main instructor (in PA), I did learn a great deal from him (and hope to continue in the future).

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
twendkata71 said:
Have you ever thought of going to Okinawa and training with Shimabuku Eizo Hanshi personally. He is still teaching. He is now in his 80's, but I hear he is still quite agile and alert. It would be a great experience. I am planning a trip to Japan next year to visit the Koei kan. Even though we are no longer affiliated with the Koei kan it will be good to see where our style comes from.

I know this was posted for someone else but I have been to Okinawa to train with Shimabukuro Sensei within the last couple of years. He is still in GREAT shape and has the fastest front kick I have ever seen. If you have the chance to train with him and stay at his house do so. You will never forget it!!

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

OP
twendkata71

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
So, I assume that you are of Shimabuku Eizo Hanshi's lineage? I have heard so many great things about him. He was the youngest 10th dan ever promoted on Okinawa. At age 35.

chinto01 said:
I know this was posted for someone else but I have been to Okinawa to train with Shimabukuro Sensei within the last couple of years. He is still in GREAT shape and has the fastest front kick I have ever seen. If you have the chance to train with him and stay at his house do so. You will never forget it!!

Rob

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have many instructors with diverse backgrounds at our club, but the main lineage would be this:

(Shindo Yoshin Ryu) ---> Shinzaburo Nakayama ->
Sakugawa -> Matsumura -> Itosu -> Funakoshi -> Ohtsuka -> Takamizawa -> Olafsen -> me

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Cirdan said:
Sakugawa -> Matsumura -> Itosu -> Funakoshi -> Ohtsuka -> Takamizawa -> Olafsen -> me

Don't forget that Ohtsuka trained with Choki Motobu also, so you can add him to your lineage as well

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
TimoS said:
Don't forget that Ohtsuka trained with Choki Motobu also, so you can add him to your lineage as well

I could add Mabuni Kenwa too I guess. I also heard Ohtsuka learned from Morhei Ueshiba but I am not sure this is true.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Cirdan said:
I could add Mabuni Kenwa too I guess.

True

I also heard Ohtsuka learned from Morhei Ueshiba but I am not sure this is true.

First time I heard about this, but then again, I'm not into Wado (or aikido for that matter). However, there might be something to this, at least several pages seem to be referring to it. A really quick look seems to indicate that they were training together at some stage

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
twendkata71 said:
So, I assume that you are of Shimabuku Eizo Hanshi's lineage? I have heard so many great things about him. He was the youngest 10th dan ever promoted on Okinawa. At age 35.

I am proud to say that I am. My first instructor was of his lineage also but did not speak with him. Upon seperation from my first instructor we made contact with OSensei and went to Okinawa to train with him as well as sponsoring a stop when he toured the states. No matter what people say he is a kind man with a HUGE heart. I feel he genuinely cares for his students as well as the transmisson of his teachings. I am forever indebted to him for showing me what I believe the true spirit of karatedo is!

Rob

J

jasonearle

starting from my teacher moving backwards with just most of the bigger names. there are lots of names in between I realize but this is a short, general list.
James Kelly-Ed Parker Sr. & Jr.-William & Frank Chow-Chow Family-Tamo(the monk)- China.
there is alot of names and years between William Chow and Tamo but my teacher chose to have us remember these bigger ones. I could list them all but there gets to be so many and such hard names to pronounce.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score

yes, from what my sensei told me, Otsuka sensei learned basic kihon techniques and the basic 9 katas from funakoshi sensei. then he learned more advanced katas from mabuni sensei (rohai etc). mabuni sensei also influenced the pinan katas that we have in wado. From motobu sensei, otsuka sensei refined his Naihanchi kata and learned also Kumite techniques.

His jujutsu techniques came from Nakayama Tatsusaburo sensei of Shindo Yoshin-ryu, and also from Motoo Kanaya sensei (of Yoshinko-ryu jujutsu). He also trained, if I am not mistaken, with a Kubo sensei who teaches swordmanship (if not mistaken Yagyu-ryu).

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
I could add Mabuni Kenwa too I guess. I also heard Ohtsuka learned from Morhei Ueshiba but I am not sure this is true.

yes I heard about this but when I asked sensei, he said he isn't sure. What he know was, that Otsuka sensei and Uyeshiba sensei are both very highly regarded by the Japanese government, and both were instructors to the military, so it is very possible that they are, at least, good friends. If I am not mistaken, Otsuka sensei received a medal of honor from the Emperor himself, and the title of Meijin Jyudan (wise man, 10th Dan) from the imperial Uncle, for his efforts. Uyeshiba sensei is known to teach high ranking officials also, including Navy admirals.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am just wondering if all of the members know the lineage of their karate style/or system? Or their personal training lineage. How far does it go back?
Here is the lineage of the style of karate that I currently study.
Takahara Peichin& Kusanku
|
Sakagawa Tode` / Ruruko
| |
Matsumura Sokon / Hiagoanna Kanryo
| |
Itosu Tausutsune / Kyoda Juhatsu
| |
Toyama Kanken |
| |
Onishi Eizo < --------------- - |
|
Don Madden
|
Me

Yes I do, and it is similer to the other shobayashi shorin ryu people who posted.

Ray B

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tode Sakugawa
Sokon "Bushi" Matsumura
Anko Itosu
Chosin Chibana
Katsuya Miyahira
Latino H. Gonzalez
Ven Saldajeno
Me :)

I do not find it nessesary to list the periferal teachers.
If you have study about the Masters, you will know this.
If you do not, then there is no need to know it.

Lineage should only get your foot in the door.
You need to back-up your claims with ability
knowlege and humility.

Peace.

Latest Discussions