Do you have a secondary art?

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

Knowing that there are many here with years of experience in various arts, I was wondering if we could share what we feel we have gained from our secondary arts that is beneficial to our primary art of Taekwon-Do!

NOTE: THIS IS NOT ANOTHER WHAT IS A GOOD ART TO BALANCE MY ABILITY!
(You know like all the "Well since TKD is weak on the ground" kind of crap)

TAEKWON!
SpooKey

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spookey, I hope that it doesn't come down to another mud slinging of what is better than another, type of thing. :asian:

For me, Kenpo was a much better fit and suited my needs better. I began to understand things much more clearly plus able to analyze techniques, forms, and motion better. I switched to Kenpo almost 11 years ago and haven't looked back. However, I still teach from time to time for my previous instructor. I have sat on a testing board for him as well. Usually about once a month I teach a kicking and kicking concepts class in my Kenpo studio. I give them ideas on combinations, drills and whatnot. Many have enjoyed my class as I have but others don't come back 'cause it's too hard. :rolleyes: In the class I mix kicks with our set Kenpo sparring techniques. It seems as though they enjoy it but my turnout keeps getting less and less. I hope that was of some service.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would be loathe to call the arts I study secondary to my taekwondo training...

But in terms of how they have benefitted my taekwondo training. First off, just a better overall health and fitness level they provide me. They also allow me to look at some of the things we do with a more critical and experienced eye. My taekwondo training has given me the same ability in regards to judo and jujutsu. Not only that, but it gives me an idea of what someone more versed in a less striking-oriented style might try to do against me and my tkd training. Plus, they're fun...

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
Plus, they're fun...
I agree :) ! I wish I had more time to get on the grappling mat. I always have a good time rolling with my friends.

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
...My Reply...

Dear All,

Having began my TKD training at the age of 9 ( and now being 26) I have (seriously) dedicated well over a decade of my life to the martial arts and the art of Taekwon-Do specifically.

At the age of 13 I was befriended by the local Southeast Asian population (primarily Laotian and Thai) many of whom were students of Muay Thai. I was allowed to train with them at will and did so for almost 4 years on a semi regular basis. From this training I was able to test my ability against peers of another system. I still spar with MT fighters when the possibility arises.

Later on (beginning at age 15) I began training as a judoka. I trained regularly for 3+ years earning a 2nd Kyu (brown belt). The training obviously afforded me an expanded knowledge of body mechanics as relate to balance and the disruption thereof.

Now, how has this helped my Taekwon-Do? Well, I have a better understanding of the Ho Sin Sool techniques which display joint destruction and takedowns. Also, I understand the effects of contact kicks to the human body. I must add most importantly that I have learned a great respect for others arts and methods of training!

TAEKWON!
SpooKs

G

Gary Crawford

That's an odd question for me and maybe an interesting answer for everyone. I started out in Kenpo 28 years ago.Kenpo,to me always seemed to blend well with almost everything I've learned from other arts since.Nowdays I am a JKD practitioner,which completely eliminates the whole discussion as to which is my primary style.I have no style.

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
...secondary note...

I have been training Judo on a regular basis and hope to continue forward to achieve BB in late 2006!

TAEKWON!
SpooKey

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
BigNicK,

Might I ask how long you have been training Judo and what kyu/dan grade you hold?

TAEKWON!
SPKS

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well for me it was Okinawa Karate and Judo first, switched to TKD for the reason of finding a great school witha no barred attitude when I moved to California in the early days, stay with TKD for the love of the Art of old school. Relitively new to the sport of TKD but I'm during it for my son who has aspiration to make the Olympic team one day.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Um...I play electric bass?

Actually, being a musician has helped out in certain ways in terms of internal timing and split concentration. As well as an understanding of the neccessity of hours of rote, boring basic technique practice

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Spookey said:
BigNicK,

Might I ask how long you have been training Judo and what kyu/dan grade you hold?

TAEKWON!
SPKS
If you look at the upper right hand corner of BigNick's posts, it will give you his styles and rank. As for how long it took him, BigNick will need to reply.

- Ceicei

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear Guys,

CeiCei, thank you for the assistance!

Fearless,

I just had that conversation with my brother last night. He plays classical guitar and will agree with you hole heartedly. They also have two other things in common. Practice does not always make perfect, but it does make permanent...so dedicate the time to learning it right!

TAEKWON!
SpooKey

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hold on...let me check my post too....

Jujutsu - 5th kyu, Judo - 6th Kyu

I've been training in jujutsu and judo under the same instructor for two and a half years. We have a tendency not to promote in my school...testing just takes a class period that could be spent learning. I've actually had the USJA rank test booklet for gokyu filled out since last summer...but, I'm in no hurry...

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I got kinda lucky. My instructor studied many different martial arts and combined them into a comprehensive curriculum when he came to the US in 1968. I didn't have to go anywhere else. The main lineage is Okinawan karate and Chinese Chuan-fa as taught at the Chang Moo Kwan. He studied this continuously under his teachers beginning in 1951 (at age 11), while additionally studying Yudo under Jin Hee Han during High School and College, and Hapkido (Hapki Yu Kwon Sul) under Ji Han Jae beginning in 1958(up to 6th Dan). He added the newer Taekwondo forms (Palgue 1-8 & 1967 Black Belt forms) to the chuan-fa and karate forms we learn, since he was in attendance at the original KTA clinics when the forms were introduced.

So, growing up I never really knew anything different. But, now I appreciate learning all of these arts together. Probably, Taekwondo would be the secondary art in comparison to the amount of material from each of the other arts we learn.

I consider my father as my first teacher. He studied on active duty 1964-68 in Kenwa Kai (Sp?) and Judo, then became one of my above teacher's first students in America in 1968.

R. McLain

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been studying Kali as I mentioned in another thread. I find it is very complimentary to Taekwondo.

Miles

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I do origami......
icon10.gif

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I wasn't going to post until the origami was mentioned... I've been taking Ashtanga Yoga for about six months. It's great for flexibility, upper body strength-low holding pushups, backs with all the twists and bends, hamstring work, also opens up the hips, strengthens the knees with balancing and stretching. When I'm stiff from earlier hard TKD practice, I go to yoga and feel much better. Also my TKD form has become easier, more limber. My quads were already pretty strong, but their warrior poses, knee and leg bent at 90* are great for the low long stance we have and strengthening quads. They also have a sitting position legs up, arms up/hold which is difficult for me even though my front kick is high. So, I think this is a good complement to TKD. And actually more difficult than I originally thought it was. It involves breathing exercise and with the advanced class I'm in, its now a workout! TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since anything seems to count as a secondary art...

Video games. Reinforces the concepts of spacing, timing and the importance of strategic thinking in general.

Latest Discussions