Do martial artists get negatively stereotyped?

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I feel that one of the main reasons for the negative stereotypes in the public's mind is that historically the better role models in the MA's were "closet" martial artists. Generally, it's been the idiots who have drawn attention to themselves in public and since they are the ones that most people associate as being martial artists, it's only natural that many people generalize martial artists that way.

I feel the best way to combat this is for the doctors, college professors, attorneys, and other respected professionals who are life-long practitioners of the arts (and in many cases their practice of the arts have helped them to achieve the discipline to be successful) to be very open about their training and all that it has done for them.

Another thing is for martial art schools to become active in the community and give value. I donate a lot of my time going into the local public schools teaching non-violent conflict resolution (how to defeat the bully without fighting) in the guidance classes. I've also been the chairman of our local school board's committee on character education. There are many different vehicles though that an instructor and his students can do to give value to their community and therefore raise the image of who we are and what we do.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I feel that one of the main reasons for the negative stereotypes in the public's mind is that historically the better role models in the MA's were "closet" martial artists. Generally, it's been the idiots who have drawn attention to themselves in public and since they are the ones that most people associate as being martial artists, it's only natural that many people generalize martial artists that way.

I feel the best way to combat this is for the doctors, college professors, attorneys, and other respected professionals who are life-long practitioners of the arts (and in many cases their practice of the arts have helped them to achieve the discipline to be successful) to be very open about their training and all that it has done for them.

Another thing is for martial art schools to become active in the community and give value. I donate a lot of my time going into the local public schools teaching non-violent conflict resolution (how to defeat the bully without fighting) in the guidance classes. I've also been the chairman of our local school board's committee on character education. There are many different vehicles though that an instructor and his students can do to give value to their community and therefore raise the image of who we are and what we do.

Good Post

Latest Discussions