disinfectant spray for a bag...?

kravi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I was thinking. After class, I put my nasty sweaty gi in my bag, go home, wash the gi with soap and vinegar, and hang dry it. Problem is, the clean gi goes back in the bag before I had back to class again later. Does anyone have any recommendations for some kind of spray for the bag to clean it? I mean, I've never had a staff infection, and I don't ever want one, so it only makes sense to have a proper sanitary approach.

And if not a spray, any other ideas? I don't think washing it out with soap and water works, as it will stay damp (wouldn't dry as easily/readily as clothing would).

Cheers, and thanks,

--Me

Kemposhot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Use Lysol as well. I usually spray down the sparring gear as well before class and again when I get home as that stuff can get quite smelly if not sprayed and wiped out often.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Use Lysol as well. I usually spray down the sparring gear as well before class and again when I get home as that stuff can get quite smelly if not sprayed and wiped out often.

Those disinfectant wipes are great for gear itself, that's what I use:

http://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-disinfecting-wipes/

Bleach is great for killing all sorts of nasty things, and my sparring gear seems to stand up to it just fine.

tinker1

Green Belt
Reaction score
Fabreze (sp?) and a lysol product of the same ilk. Use them on my sparring gear as well.

I've also known some people to include a plastic bag in their training bag to put their uniform in after training.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Those disinfectant wipes are great for gear itself, that's what I use:

http://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-disinfecting-wipes/

Bleach is great for killing all sorts of nasty things, and my sparring gear seems to stand up to it just fine.

The good news is that bleach kills nearly everything. The bad news is that clorox wipes are NOT bleach. They will kill all the garden variety stuff, but they'll only kill the stuff that's hard to kill if they're used right: One surface per wipe. So, keep that in mind.

Edit: Adding: Allowing your bag to dry completely is probably a good idea. Turn it inside out and leave it in the sunlight for a day or two when you can. Most microbes cannot tolerate direct sunlight and heat, the ones that can, you weren't going to kill at home anyway.

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The good news is that bleach kills nearly everything. The bad news is that clorox wipes are NOT bleach. They will kill all the garden variety stuff, but they'll only kill the stuff that's hard to kill if they're used right: One surface per wipe. So, keep that in mind.

Edit: Adding: Allowing your bag to dry completely is probably a good idea. Turn it inside out and leave it in the sunlight for a few days. Most microbes cannot tolerate direct sunlight and heat, the ones that can, you weren't going to kill at home anyway.

Did not know that, thanks!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Walmart carries clorox wipes with bleach, they are what we use for all sparring equipment and I have never had a problem.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use a cloth bag for my workout/hiking clothes that is machine washable. I run it through the wash with my clothes, then lay it flat on the dryer while my clothes are drying. I hang it on a doorknob or towel rack over night to finish drying.

Not all bags can be machine washed though...

Latest Discussions