different terminology

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
this was something i was aware of before i joined the board...but it's become increasingly obvious that our school uses some different terminology than a lot of the rest of the tkd world...i think it stems from the fact that the person that founded our school was from korea and it was some sort of translation glitch from korean to english...or just what he preferred calling them...just though i'd share the "standard" and then our variation

for instance:

front stance->wide stance
back stance->T-stance
crescent kick->circulating kick
spinning hook/heel kick->backspin

i know this type of thing varies from school to school...just thought i'd share

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
Very interesting..I've n ever heard of T stance (although it makes perfect sense), my old school use inside /outside crescent kicks, and my current schools uses circle kick and crescent kick, and to date, I'm still confused of which one is inside to outside, and vice versa!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still getting confused about turning kick. We do ball of the foot round kick rarely (only when someone can't do instep) but being on MT, I learned this is called turning kick.

But then someone pointed out that alot of schools (ITF based I think) use the terminology turning kick for plain old roundhouse kick/instep too.

Twist kick which we do, is back right leg crossing inside to left in front on the front left elg and twisting to right to strike with the ball of the foot.

Axe kick = like a front kick but weight on leg but coming down striking with heel
360 Axe kick = turn to front or turn to back to spin
Tornado Round kick= turn to back jump, round kick
360 Jump Crescent = turn to front for inside out crescent, turn to back for outside in crescent
360 Jump Back = turn to front jump back kick
360 Jump Spin Heel = turn to front, jump, head level heel/hook

TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I've learned it, turning kick's supposed to describe the general motion rather than any particular distinction regarding the tool. The TKD Encyclopedia lists multiple secondary tools past the ball of the foot, but doesn't rename the kicks just for the change in the attacking tool, so a turning kick with the instep, or a turning kick with the shin's still a turning kick.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what is your name for a roundhouse kick which it is commonly known by...? See Olympic TKD footage. We only do the round kick with the instep. It is not a turning kick to us. I guess ours is WTF terminology. TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
The most commonly known version of roundhouse kick... Guess that would be the side turning kick.

Latest Discussions