Differences between Ju jitsu and BJJ

OP
J

JDenz

No Ace has been agueing that there is no diffrence this whole time and no one will agree with us

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Jay Bell

There's honestly very little in common between Jujutsu and BJJ. BJJ comes from Judo...which comes from Jujutsu. BJJ does most of it's work on the ground (ne-waza), while many Jujutsu traditions work from standing and controlling the opponent to and on the ground.

Not much need to continue this thread Jay has told you the answer (above)..........

Those are the major differences anyway.

Even among Jujutsu schools in Japan there are differences.........for example the Hontai Yoshin Ryu.........the Tenjin Shinyo Ryu are both Jujutsu schools but have some different waza......and there are at least 20 different styles in Japan.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by ace

The argument on this forum
has been that Jiu Jitsu is not Ju Jutsu

U are the 1st person i dont know direct that
Agrees that Ju Jutsu & Jiu Jitsu

Are the same.:D

Actually the argument is whether BJJ and Jujitsu are the same.... not whether the words Jiu Jitsu and Jujitsu are the same.

Jiu/Ju and Jutsu/Jitsu are interchangable, as they are merely the best Arabic written method to show the correct pronunciation, which is actually somewhere between the two sets.

I don't think anyone was arguing that Jiu-Jitsu and Jujutsu are different at all.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Aegis

Actually the argument is whether BJJ and Jujitsu are the same.... not whether the words Jiu Jitsu and Jujitsu are the same.

So I have been told...........however, the point is totally ridiculous since there is no such word as Jiujitsu in the Japanese language and therefore no such art. Only westerners that have not been taught the proper pronunciation of the word Jujutsu use the later.
Those same folks might call where I live Jay-pan as well.............or even say Kee-yo-toe for Kyoto, or O-sack-uh for Osaka, or Nay-ga-sackey for Nagasaki, Hee-row-shee-ma for Hiroshima.

Originally posted by Aegis

Jiu/Ju and Jutsu/Jitsu are interchangable, as they are merely the best Arabic written method to show the correct pronunciation, which is actually somewhere between the two sets.

Er uh.....it's Romanization not Arabic. Arabic is the stuff you see on the signs carried Palestinians saying "Kill all Americans" on a CNN news report.
The best Romanization for the word is Ju jutsu and it is not somewhere in between. I am fairly confident in this not only because I have spoken that language daily for the last 14+ years but also my dictionary has it the same way.

As I said before........Jay already answered the question on whether they are the same or not

Latest Discussions