Difference between block and guard

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I started to wonder recently, what is exactly the difference between a block and a guard? When is we using a guard versus a block and why?

blocks in patterns are misinterpretations passed on.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is this guard or block?

It's not

- guard because you are moving your arms.
- block because you are not blocking any incoming punch.

You move your arms to

- protect space in front of you.
- sense your opponent's intention.
- make contact on your opponent's arm/arms.

Chang-double-spears.gif
I'm still working on this one.
I want to say that this is a guard because it falls under what can be done by using a stance which is. "How one stands protects the space in front." Standing a certain way can either invite an attack or protect against an attack. In this case one would have to go through the arms in order to get to the body.

Even though you are moving your arms, you aren't moving them towards and attack. The only thing that is moving is the stance which would be a natural thing to do when using a stance.

So for me, I'm counting this as a guard. If punches or kicks where thrown then we would see blocks initiated as the arms would need to move to meet the incoming strike. Because these arms aren't meeting any incoming strike. I'll have to say guard.

I welcome any response that puts a hole into the how I'm looking at it or misunderstanding of what I'm looking at. When I see this, the video I think of sending a kick right up the middle, or kick the arms, so I'm assuming this is a grappling only approach.

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
some good points on block vs guard
a bit more on guards
- they are positions from which certain blocks and strikes are easier to execute, guards can also be used to show your strengths or weaknesses or fake weaknesses

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
or fake weaknesses
Some Kenpo Karate guys like to use guard such as:

- leading arm drop down, and
- back hand block shoulder.

Since their face is open, when you throw a straight punch toward their face, their leading drop arm will use circular ridge hand to not only knock down your straight punching arm, it also hits the side of your head.

- Drop guard to invite head punch.
- Raise guard to invite groin kick.

Both are good strategies.

Royce Grace's leading arm is almost parallel to the ground. His guard is different from a boxer's guard that only cover the head.

Royce-Gracie.jpg

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would love to hear more karate/kyokushin folks chime in on this. I am having a hard time understanding how the forearm rotation makes a significant difference.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am having a hard time understanding how the forearm rotation makes a significant difference.
- You throw a right jab toward your opponent's face.
- Your opponent uses a left hook to knock down your right jab.
- His right hook then land on your head.

Your opponent's hook can knock down your jab. But your jab cannot knock down his hook.

double-spears.gif

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you are in a guard position, when a punch comes toward you, if you freeze your shoulder and arms, you only rotate your body and let your guard to meet with the incoming punch. Is that guard, or block?

For example, when a lion attacks a rhino. The rhino turn it's body and let it's rhino horn to face the incoming lion's bite. Is that guard, or block?

Is a "moving guard" the same as "block"?

But when you rotate your body, your guard will move with you too. When a rhino is running, is it's rhino horn a guard, or block?

IMO, a guard can be a block. But a block cannot be a guard.
I'd say there's a small grey area between them, but mostly I consider a clear distinction: a block has an aggressive element by the arm. The arm moves to intercept the strike. It doesn't have to be a strike (thinking of a push block), but the arm is intercepting, independent of what the body is doing.

In the end, though, the meaning of the terms is mostly how they are used in a given school. If someone teaches that a "stepping block" is what I call an "intercepting guard" (rigid guard, with the body moving to intercept), both are correct.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A body rotation is quite different from taking a step, which is often done with a block, never with a guard.

Do you personally have a Rhino's horn on the end of your face?;)
Point being we have opposable thumbs.
Why can't you step in with a guard?

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why can't you step in with a guard?
Indeed. Doing so helps cover as you close the gap. And you can certainly have one hand in a guard (check) position as the other blocks or strikes. This active hand's action should create openings and allow the guarding hand to then attack or otherwise open up the opponent, furthering the attack. Furthering the attack - This is the ideal purpose of any check, guard, block or strike.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Indeed. Doing so helps cover as you close the gap. And you can certainly have one hand in a guard (check) position as the other blocks or strikes. This active hand's action should create openings and allow the guarding hand to then attack or otherwise open up the opponent, furthering the attack. Furthering the attack - This is the ideal purpose of any check, guard, block or strike.
The only concern is the 1 arm guard is not very strong. The 2 arms rhino guard is stronger. You can hide your head behind it. But you lose some of your striking ability. If you use rhino guard as a quick entering strategy. It can be a good idea.

my-rhino-guard.gif

rhino-guard-test-3.gif

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fully agree such as the ready hand of a sonnal momtong makki. The explanations of the ready hand are wide and varied but the block always serves a dual purpose.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only concern is the 1 arm guard is not very strong. The 2 arms rhino guard is stronger. You can hide your head behind it. But you lose some of your striking ability. If you use rhino guard as a quick entering strategy. It can be a good idea.

my-rhino-guard.gif

rhino-guard-test-3.gif
Because it links the two arms, it leaves you open to someone clearing both at the same time (and moving both shoulders at once, too). I’d rather have a weaker guard that can’t be so easily removed.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The only concern is the 1 arm guard is not very strong. The 2 arms rhino guard is stronger.
I just watched one of my videos of this where my guard was getting a good beat down and torn apart.

I don't necessarily need my guard to stop punches, I'm happy if it slows down punches or occupies my opponent. If my opponent is more focused on removing my guard then he's not focused on hitting me.

Because of the way I fight, I attack from the guard. If my guard occuplies your strikes then I can slip a kick under my guard. I can also attack from the guard. By this, I mean that I can use a guad like a sheild that allows a striking punch to go through.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't necessarily need my guard to stop punches, I'm happy if it slows down punches or occupies my opponent.
You are right, when your opponent deals with your guard, he may forget about your kick/sweep.

The main purpose of my rhino guard is to use it to separate my opponent's arms away from his head and obtain a head lock.

Keegan-rhino.gif

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You are right, when your opponent deals with your guard, he may forget about your kick/sweep.

The main purpose of my rhino guard is to use it to separate my opponent's arms away from his head and obtain a head lock.

Keegan-rhino.gif
If that's the goal then it would work. You would definitely have to be really aggressive with it, You couldn't just go in half willing.

Latest Discussions