Diet

Monk1

White Belt
Reaction score
Dear Martial artist,

I have been wondering what a good diet is. I have noticed my body feels very indifferent when I eat chips or ice and I do not eat them daily. But, I feel I am very allergic to them. I am searching for healthy alternatives what's good for my body. I am practicing Martial Arts for a half year and I also meditate by daily basis. Twenty minutes in the morning and twenty minutes before I go to sleep.I feel what I eat is very important of how I feel and I noticed a lot of craving for sweetness.

What do you guys eat? What kind of healthy recipes do you have? What diet do you follow?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You should speak to a nutritionist not martial artists. Not all martial artists are healthy and have healthy lifestyles. It's like anyone else some are some aren't. I know martial artists who are heavy drinkers and smokers just because they do martial arts doesn't mean they're healthy

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by 'indifferent' when you eat certain things? if you think eating something you eat makes you unwell/uncomfortable/doesn't agree with you, then don't eat it.

OP
Monk1

Monk1

White Belt
Reaction score
I do not smoke or drink alcohol, all I want is to live more a healthy conscious lifestyle and sometimes I fall back on my own habits. I thought maybe other martial artists can share their diet, so I can be more responsible of my own body. I know I want to eat more vegetables, fruit and maybe less meat in the future.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not smoke or drink alcohol, all I want is to live more a healthy conscious lifestyle and sometimes I fall back on my own habits. I thought maybe other martial artists can share their diet, so I can be more responsible of my own body. I know I want to eat more vegetables, fruit and maybe less meat in the future.

Maybe list a daily consumption of the food stuffs you eat? Breafast, lunch and dinner, and what you snack on when you get peckish. That way I'm sure advice could given on what to keep, and what to discard, and what you could get away with.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are going to get very different answers on this one, depending on what the goals of each responder may be. For example, personally I could stand to lose about 30 pounds. I was recommended to follow a 1400 calorie per day diet by my friend. His wife is also trying to drop about the same amount of weight. (To the nutritionally savvy reader, that might seem low, but I have researched the way this thing is set up, and it is sound.)

So let me ask: what are your goals? What do you want to accomplish? Do you need to lose weight? Do you need more energy? Do you want to build muscle?

OP
Monk1

Monk1

White Belt
Reaction score
I feel that my energy is a bit low and I am want to be eat more healthy! That's my main goal, to eat more vegetables and fruit. Maybe a kind of mix of Paleo Diet and Chinese Rural Diet, in my case Vietnamese Rural diet. I want more energy and I feel somewhat tired, because I have noticed my body can't handle snacks and food. Even though I jog 3x times a week and 2x Kung Fu (In the future I want to train more).

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel that my energy is a bit low and I am want to be eat more healthy! That's my main goal, to eat more vegetables and fruit. Maybe a kind of mix of Paleo Diet and Chinese Rural Diet, in my case Vietnamese Rural diet. I want more energy and I feel somewhat tired, because I have noticed my body can't handle snacks and food. Even though I jog 3x times a week and 2x Kung Fu (In the future I want to train more).

The search for more energy means you will be engaging in the search for more carbohydrates, most likely. That is what I gather, but I am not a doctor. In the long run, you would want to speak to a physician.

OP
Monk1

Monk1

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the feedback. For now, I will read more books about nutrition and experiment more about my own personal Diet. Thank you :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Monk.

Now, go eat something good. ;)

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER- surprisingly, I'm not a doctor. I have general nutrition knowledge that I read and used. Take my statements with grains of salt.

Low energy generally means a lack of carbohydrates and/or sodium, in the case of low blood pressure. For what you're claiming to aim for, a paleo diet with frequent low-intensity cardio will not do you any good. You look quite thin, too, which means striving for low-calorie diets will do you no real benefit either.

I'd say go eat rice and lift weight.

I started off overweight, and a few months into my weight loss "phase," my diet did not change (rice, meat, dairy, vegetables, fruit, bittathat McDonald's, I never had snacks of any sort, particularly sugar) while my training consisted of only MMA.
Things hit the fan when I began to consider going to the gym because I had turned 14 (minimum age for Jetts Fitness). That's when I paid attention to cutting bread and sugar.
After that several-month-long phase, I had a week-long low blood pressure issue.
Now I'm back to eating like my fat self. Probably thanks to an improved metabolism, I could feast for a week straight and not gain any fat I've noticed.

I think the most agreeable and true thing I can say here is to eat anything in moderation. Avoid extremes.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be cautious of the paleo diet. It doesn't actually have good scientific grounding behind it. What people at then was based upon what was available, and wasn't often nutritionally complete. Remember that their lifespan was significantly shorter than ours.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
My friend's wife is on this diet from her doctors because she is going to get that "sleeve" operation. 1400 calories per day. My friend is a personal trainer, so he has her going to the gym to work out with him. Despite that crazy low calorie count, she is indeed losing weight!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What works best for me, ant this is only me we are talking about, everyone else's mileage WILL vary.

Look for the book and DVD of "Forks over Knives" and books by Dr Joel Fuhrman. Beyond that a balanced diet is what you need. I absolutely do not think the Paleo diet is healthy, but this is only my opinion

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What works best for me, ant this is only me we are talking about, everyone else's mileage WILL vary.

Look for the book and DVD of "Forks over Knives" and books by Dr Joel Fuhrman. Beyond that a balanced diet is what you need. I absolutely do not think the Paleo diet is healthy, but this is only my opinion
Your opinion is backed by some reasonable science.

The biggest difficulty with diets is that it appears needs vary by individual (in some cases, rather drastically). What is dangerous to one person may actually be healthful to another. And there's not a good measure yet for differentiating them, except trying one out. (On a side note, some recent studies suggest the same is somewhat true of different types of exercise.)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Your opinion is backed by some reasonable science.

The biggest difficulty with diets is that it appears needs vary by individual (in some cases, rather drastically). What is dangerous to one person may actually be healthful to another. And there's not a good measure yet for differentiating them, except trying one out. (On a side note, some recent studies suggest the same is somewhat true of different types of exercise.)

I don't care what anyone says...Black Coffee and Dark Chocolate is good for ya :D

I have read when talking things diet and exercise that one person is not going to be the same, or have the same needs as another, I have read more about that with exercise than diet, but I have read it with diet as well.

There was a study on Paleo that I read, wish I could find it, that showed how unhealthy it can actually be for us Omnivores to eat only meat

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not as familiar with Paleo as I am with the other infamous carb-restricting diet, Atkins.

From what I gather, the difference between Paleo and Atkins seems to be that, over time, the Atkins person adds more carbs back into their diet, whereas Paleo does not.

Does anyone know if that is a correct assessment?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not as familiar with Paleo as I am with the other infamous carb-restricting diet, Atkins.

From what I gather, the difference between Paleo and Atkins seems to be that, over time, the Atkins person adds more carbs back into their diet, whereas Paleo does not.

Does anyone know if that is a correct assessment?
Basically, the idea of the paleo diet is that you don't eat anything that wasn't available to ancient man. Problem is, there are many healthful foods that fall into that category. It leaves out legumes and cereals, some of which have strong evidence for their healthfulness. And I recall reading recently that there are some common risks of deficiencies in the paleo diet.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Basically, the idea of the paleo diet is that you don't eat anything that wasn't available to ancient man. Problem is, there are many healthful foods that fall into that category. It leaves out legumes and cereals, some of which have strong evidence for their healthfulness. And I recall reading recently that there are some common risks of deficiencies in the paleo diet.

I think there are in all of them, aren't there? I mean, don't they all restrict a person from different foods?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there are in all of them, aren't there? I mean, don't they all restrict a person from different foods?
All of the fad diets seem to have that issue. A simple calorie-restricted diet that is designed to avoid empty calories doesn't seem to have that risk. And those are the diets that seem to have the best long-term effect across populations.

Latest Discussions