Anyone use an inversion table?

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
A couple of student at my kwoon said they use an inversion table to help with back pressure. Does anyone use one and is it helpful or hype? Thank you

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've considered inversion boots. I keep meaning to look into what research has been done, but it never makes the top of my research list. I look forward to seeing what others have to say here.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have one. I don't use it but my wife does. IMO, you can get the same result by doing this.

hand_stance_against_wall.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one. I don't use it but my wife does. IMO, you can get the same result by doing this.

hand_stance_against_wall.jpg
That gives the circulatory benefit of inversion, but not the decompression of the spine that can be (theoretically) provided by inversion tables and inversion boots.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That gives the circulatory benefit of inversion, but not the decompression of the spine that can be (theoretically) provided by inversion tables and inversion boots.

I have often wondered if an inversion table's decompression aspect would help with my occasional, heading towards chronic, hip pain.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have often wondered if an inversion table's decompression aspect would help with my occasional, heading towards chronic, hip pain.
Me, too. I've had a problem in my right hip off and on (was really bad for a couple of months last year). I've wondered if inversion would help release that, since it seems to be tied to some lower-back issues.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Me, too. I've had a problem in my right hip off and on (was really bad for a couple of months last year). I've wondered if inversion would help release that, since it seems to be tied to some lower-back issues.

They seem to range in price form $100 to $1000 and the quality varies form model to model to. Next time I am at the Y I think I will see if they have one to try.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to looking for some informed articles. Here are two quick ones that suggest it's not beneficial, beyond short-term gains.

By the way, doctor: Do inversion tables work? - Harvard Health
Inversion therapy: Can it relieve back pain?

They are probably referring to the same sources, since they list the same risks and cautions (and the same benefits).

A bit more optimistic here, though I think they're referring to the study that provided the limited benefits mentioned by the others:
The Good and Bad of Inversion Therapy - Alternative Treatment - Chronic Pain | HealthCentral

A report on what appears (at least in the superficial information provided) to be a reasonable study, with real benefits for sciatica:
Ground-Breaking Study Gives Hope to Sciatica Patients | Teeter.com

Latest Discussions