Didn't know where else to put this...

The Twitcher

White Belt
Reaction score
am I the only "freestylist" here. And is "freestyle" even accepted as "experience" here?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Twitcher said:
am I the only "freestylist" here. And is "freestyle" even accepted as "experience" here?

How do you define "free-style"? (BTW, welcome to MartialTalk!)

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
==============
Moderator Note.
Thread moved to General Martial Arts where it will get a better response.

- Jonathan Randall
- MT Moderator

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Any fighting counts as experience. The question is - was it a learning experience?

OP
T

The Twitcher

White Belt
Reaction score
tradrockrat said:
Any fighting counts as experience. The question is - was it a learning experience?

Cover my face, become non-static, don't pretend to be Bruce Lee/Hulk Hogan/Spider-Man/Mike Tyson/Mohammad Ali? Yeah, I learned quite a bit.

You know, I didn't want it all to sound like a resume, I did however learn some Jujitsu from Mayhem (2 months worth) when I was in Hawai'i, and I'm about to take a Kung Fu class in college.

Freestyle=Free(of)style. I guess I take Bruce's words a bit too literally. I'm not afraid to learn new things however, even if they aren't my own.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Twitcher said:
Cover my face, become non-static, don't pretend to be Bruce Lee/Hulk Hogan/Spider-Man/Mike Tyson/Mohammad Ali? Yeah, I learned quite a bit.

You know, I didn't want it all to sound like a resume, I did however learn some Jujitsu from Mayhem (2 months worth) when I was in Hawai'i, and I'm about to take a Kung Fu class in college.

Freestyle=Free(of)style. I guess I take Bruce's words a bit too literally. I'm not afraid to learn new things however, even if they aren't my own.
Are you describing yourself as a "freestylist" because you don't train in any one system, and just figure out what you believe works for you? (Yes, I know, my biases are showing.) By comparison, I know of "freestyle kickboxers" in that they don't train in martial arts, but learned boxing and added some kicks.

I'd suggest that you might find that kung fu class to be of great benefit to giving you form and guidance in technique and combining them. (Why would you want to repeat the hard earned lessons of those who went before?)

Latest Discussions