Did Oswald Shoot Kennedy?

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A 3rd hand, unverified "deathbed confession" far from an untainted source.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did Oswald shoot President Kennedy?

I think he did, but there were other shooters. Ever use a Carcano rifle? I've never known or heard of anyone who could get those shots off with that accuracy in that short time.

To me, the bigger question is if anyone put him up to it. My thought is Castro's intelligence service subcontracted by the Soviet Union.

What could have made a diverse body such as the Warren Commission cover up and never break faith? Only the knowledge that if the above ever came out, a thermonuclear war or military coup would result.

Pure personal opinion!!!:idunno:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think he did, but there were other shooters. Ever use a Carcano rifle? I've never known or heard of anyone who could get those shots off with that accuracy in that short time.
:idunno:

Uh....YEEAAA. :cool:

http://www.skepticwiki.org/index.php/JFK_Assassination

Three Shots in 5.6 Seconds?
According to the conspiracy theorists, Oswald had to get off three shots in 5.6 seconds. They say this is impossible with the 6.5mm Mannlicher-Carcano rifle that Oswald used.
This was easily debunked by Penn Jillette in an episode of ********!, where he successfully cocks, aims, and fires an identical rifle three times in 3.4 seconds. So Oswald, who was trained in rapid-fire shooting by the marines, would have had no problem.
However, the conspiracy theorists get their figure from the Zapruder film, claiming that the first shot wasn't fired until frame 210. Since the last shot occurred at frame 313, and the Zapruder film was shot at 18.3fps, that comes out to 5.6 seconds. But witnesses said the first shot was fired just as the car turned onto Elm Street, and that was at frame 160; also, Connally recalled that he turned his head sharply to the right upon having heard the first shot, and this occurs at frame 162. This means that the three shots actually took about 8.3 seconds, two and a half seconds longer than the conspiracy theorists claim.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a number of shows that looked into the Kennedy shooting, and even conducted recreations. One used the Zapruder film, along with several other pictures, films, and similar material to make a computer recreation that... Shh... This is gonna blow your mind... Check that nobody's peeking in the windows or monitoring you via the electric outlets and your new HDTV...

Largely supported the Warren Commissions findings!

Some of the actual recreations, once a few reasonable things supported in the primary sources were taken into account, even duplicated the shots AND the so-called magic bullet trajectory.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A 3rd hand, unverified "deathbed confession" far from an untainted source.

Ya have a point, but I think that one can hardly expect a news conference, live broadcast, and talking heads... ;)

Coming from Hunt though, that has to mean something...

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know what? I don't care. Not a bit.
Ya, know what, Don? I agree wholeheartedly!:ultracool With all the other heat going on at the moment I'm not really interested in fanning flames so I'll just sit back and watch this one.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What about the theory that Organized Crime was behind the assasination. JFK and his brother RFK were supposedly stepping on some big toes in the Mafia world.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where would you conspiracy debunkers be without the acclaimed and recognized academic source, WIKIPEDIA?

Or, "a number of shows" cited as a source? Since when do YOU believe what you see on TV??

I must say, though, the quote Oswald, "would have had no problem" is priceless. This is ludicrous on so many planes that one scarcely knows where to begin.... and why bother?

Suffice to say, if those are your positions and your sources, neither of you have any business firing "uh, yeah" icons at anyone else or inferring that anyone else is wacky.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I admit, I can't cite the sources. And it's always possible that they rigged things to support the view that Oswald did shoot Kennedy. And, since Oswald isn't answering any questions, we'll never know why he was in the Texas Book Depository with a rifle that day.

But I'd still say that any argument for some massive conspiracy falls apart for the simple reason that people just don't keep secrets that well. (Which makes my job much easier!) Bluntly, I've got enough cases that I'm responsible for finding out who did what and why in that I haven't particularly investigated this one in depth. If I come across something interesting on TV or wherever, I'll take a look. I don't always make extensive notes; I remember the computer recreation, and I remember them setting up very similar circumstances and having someone take the shots. They achieved similar results. The shots were made in the necessary time, and the injuries inflicted were reasonably similar. Of course that doesn't prove Oswald did it; unless someone has a TARDIS or other time machine available and would take me back to that day -- nothing will. And even then there would be those who argue that I ended up in an alternate universe or some other reason why I was wrong.

Late addition:
I did manage to find a link to the info on the computer recreation. It was done for the TV show Forensic Files by a company called Hatchling Animation. See it here

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Back and to the Left. ***Warning Graphic Video***

windshield.jpg

The shot that ended Kennedy's life came from the front. Oswald was allegedly in back of him and highly elevated.

There was more then one shooter.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Entirely fair and reasonable, jks.

To me this is a beer & pretzels debate, as indicated by how I closed my original post. I just did not appreciate sarcasm icons on these, with the ilk of wiki as a source.... let's lighten up.

The ONLY theory I have ever come up with that would answer why the Warren Commission would and could cover up is what I listed.... only the near certainty of nuclear war if it were revealed that "the commies" had had JFK killed could account for universal silence.

Yeah, I know the criminals confess all to the cops.... then they go back and lie to their lawyers.

Please note: :idunno:

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think that the argument against JKS's point is that the people who do this are not common criminals. It's not like busting a conspiracy to sell drugs. Pulling off something like this requires highly trained professionals operating in a shadowy wing of the government that is used to doing these sorts of things.

So, who had Kennedy killed? I think that Hunt's confession is probably true. I think it was the CIA and LBJ. Qui-bono, who benefitted?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem, Grydth.

It's not something I particularly worry about, either. I find some of the theories amusing... and I find the efforts some folks go to pursue many conspiracy theories mindboggling!

As to criminals & defense attorneys... Well, I'll actually admit that I consider a few defense attorneys my friends! Doesn't mean they haven't grilled me on the stand... I'd just like to see defendants required to show up for court looking like they do when we catch 'em or when they commit the crimes! (And the crooks lie to me, too!)

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shooting recreations can be of some value.... but be careful

I personally enjoy taking out rifles that were used on the Russian Front in World War II to see how they handle. While I learn from it, I never imagine that tells me what it was like using a Mauser or a Moisin (or, notably, a Carcano) in the real war. I don't have a line of Siberians coming at me with fixed bayonets in -40 in Winter, or an SS patrol with dogs closing in....

Ditto for those who think that some artificial simulation comes close to what it must really have felt like as this killer stalked the highest value target on the planet. I do not think shooting like that is possible - unless there's another shooter.

Oswald certainly wasn't trained on the Carcano in the Marines....and there is a world of difference in how different rifles shoot and handle.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ya have a point, but I think that one can hardly expect a news conference, live broadcast, and talking heads...
Not so fast, when [SIZE=-1]William Felt came out as Deep Throat, there was media galore...[/SIZE]

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Odd how all "evidence" is so easily discovered in the internet. Where are the CIA teams of hackers cleansing the net of sensitive data?