Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Kiai - is it real?
By suhieb - Mon, 21 May 2007 09:08:26 GMT
Originally Posted at: Deluxe Forums

====================

Hi

Im not sure if this is the correct place to place this and i am sorry iif it is in the wrong place, i was searching through youtube for martial arts videos etc and i came across this video about Kiai which seems to show that it is a load of ineffective rubbish, i am curious to know what all other views are about this "style" of martial art.

The link to the video is please watch it is you have time and post your thoughts and views here YouTube Video If you are able to see this message it means that you don't have flash installed or that the video server is down. &#91;/youtube&#93;

Read More...

------------------------------------
Defend.net Post Bot - JMA Feed

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It is garbage. This vid has been around a while and is really fun. I love seeing these idiots get de-bunked.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's stupid about it? The guy was a "Kiai master" and found out that when he wasn't telling his hand-picked students to fall down his **** was weak. The test was simple, dramatic and not open to interpretation. That's good science.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kiai as a style seems a bit much... it can be a useful technique, but needs to be backed with solid martial arts as well.

A well-placed kiai can work well to distract an opponent or cause a momentary "freeze" that gives you time for the next move. It can also aid in applying kime to your move (everything ends at the same time).

That said, if it's used by itself, it will only work on someone who isn't expecting it... if a fighter knows someone is going to scream at them, even if done really really loudly, it is unlikely to interrupt their attack.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kiai as a style seems a bit much... it can be a useful technique, but needs to be backed with solid martial arts as well.

A well-placed kiai can work well to distract an opponent or cause a momentary "freeze" that gives you time for the next move. It can also aid in applying kime to your move (everything ends at the same time).

That said, if it's used by itself, it will only work on someone who isn't expecting it... if a fighter knows someone is going to scream at them, even if done really really loudly, it is unlikely to interrupt their attack.
Not only that, but the Kiai can help students tap into their own spirit potential.
Sean

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
agreed
As a stand alone technique or as a total system I do not think it woks well. As a surprise to distract or as a supplement in your attack It seems to work

Latest Discussions