Defensive Tactics...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can only imagine the weeping, wailing and nashing of teeth if the State made DT qualifications mandatory as they do firearms...

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When I went through here in Michigan, I went through the local college and took DT. It was a 2 hr class twice a week for the semester. It was based on PPCT although some other areas were added in.

But, for our dept. it is bare bones minimum. I am one of our PPCT instructors and we only train 8 hrs once or twice a year to keep everyone's certification.

We try to get it more, but $$$ won't let us.

When training, I always try to emphasize that PPCT or any other MA won't save your butt if you never practice it. You HAVE to practice the moves on your own and make it your own. Also, to understand the when/where/why to apply the stuff.

I know alot of guys in our dept. bad mouth PPCT and say it doesn't work, and then I review their "use of force" reports, and you have subjects that are in the "active aggressive" stage and they are trying to push on pressure points alone. They don't understand how/when to strike in PPCT and how to use all of the tools available to gain control and protect themselves. I think it is because use of force is so PC that people use TOO LITTLE force than is justified to prevent lawsuits etc. But, all this does is make for bad judgements and then officers get hurt because they didn't properly prepare themselves.

The parts about making the systems moves your own is in line with saying to take the moves you like and make them streetable. Everything else is something you might want to remember but if you are not going to use them then why allow it/them to take up space on your hard drive :shrug:.

As far as individuals getting hung up on trying one thing, like pressure points, at the wrong time that is from an officer either not having the experience to shift gears, bad or lack of training, over focus (blinders) or a combination of these.

Anyone who is taking up a career as an LEO or Security or the military needs to understand that some jobs might not ever require you use these skills and some a lot of the time in some way shape or form. I think the person most at risk to getting kacked to lousy DT skills is the who only has to use it once, after moving through their career for a long time; and is complacent.

My .02 only

Ondrejmatej

White Belt
Reaction score
DT... What is it? What are cops taught? What should they be taught?

Here on MT, most of us are pretty serious martial artists. We voluntarily spend several to many (to way too many, if you ask spouses & friends) hours practicing the intricacies of dealing with a person in hand-to-hand combat.

Cops and LEOs in general spend a lot of time putting their training in Defensive Tactics into use, so it stands to reason that they spend a lot of time on it, both in the academy, and in-service training, right?

WRONG! In fact, most law enforcement DT training is pretty brief, and many agencies rarely do in-service DT!

What is DT? Well, it's not only going hands on with someone; DT generally covers all the various issues of protecting oneself from physical assault, as well as the unique areas of policing like handcuffing, searching buildings, handling a crowd... All that stuff that has to do with keeping yourself safe in the field. A pretty typical academy is 6 months or so long. In that time, the recruits will spend one or two weeks on the track, learning to drive. They'll spend another week or two at the range, learning to shoot. They'll have a week or two of odd-ball topics, like first aid/CPR or radar school. So... now we're down to 5 months. Or less. What it ends up amounting to is that a typical DT program would be about 3 to 4 weeks long, at best, if done 8 hours a day, with no other training. But it's rarely taught that way... Instead, most academies I'm familiar with alternate DT training and PT training every day, for about 2 to 3 hours, for about 8 weeks. Yeah... Not much. And when you figure that a couple of those DT days are dedicated to search or arrest training and practice... it gets even shorter. Maybe 40 to 60 hours... and that includes baton!

So... it ends up that most cops get taught a very quick & dirty class with simple, hopefully effective and easily retained techniques. The exact curriculum varies, but generally includes falling, simple knee strikes, low kicks, a couple of check/block techniques, a couple of palm and fist strikes to various targets, a couple of throws or takedowns, and some control holds, as well as a few effective pressure points for control or motivation.

So... within that framework... what would YOU suggest be included? Remember -- it's got to be something that can be taught to someone with no prior experience quickly, and it's got to be scalable to a use of force model. (Cops can't put everyone they deal with into a rear naked choke; that counts as lethal force.)

Defense encompasses any and all means of protecting oneself. These techniques based on combination of martial arts, wrestling, and boxing.

CoachRonald

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
DT... What is it? What are cops taught? What should they be taught?

Here on MT, most of us are pretty serious martial artists. We voluntarily spend several to many (to way too many, if you ask spouses & friends) hours practicing the intricacies of dealing with a person in hand-to-hand combat.

Cops and LEOs in general spend a lot of time putting their training in Defensive Tactics into use, so it stands to reason that they spend a lot of time on it, both in the academy, and in-service training, right?

WRONG! In fact, most law enforcement DT training is pretty brief, and many agencies rarely do in-service DT!

What is DT? Well, it's not only going hands on with someone; DT generally covers all the various issues of protecting oneself from physical assault, as well as the unique areas of policing like handcuffing, searching buildings, handling a crowd... All that stuff that has to do with keeping yourself safe in the field. A pretty typical academy is 6 months or so long. In that time, the recruits will spend one or two weeks on the track, learning to drive. They'll spend another week or two at the range, learning to shoot. They'll have a week or two of odd-ball topics, like first aid/CPR or radar school. So... now we're down to 5 months. Or less. What it ends up amounting to is that a typical DT program would be about 3 to 4 weeks long, at best, if done 8 hours a day, with no other training. But it's rarely taught that way... Instead, most academies I'm familiar with alternate DT training and PT training every day, for about 2 to 3 hours, for about 8 weeks. Yeah... Not much. And when you figure that a couple of those DT days are dedicated to search or arrest training and practice... it gets even shorter. Maybe 40 to 60 hours... and that includes baton!

So... it ends up that most cops get taught a very quick & dirty class with simple, hopefully effective and easily retained techniques. The exact curriculum varies, but generally includes falling, simple knee strikes, low kicks, a couple of check/block techniques, a couple of palm and fist strikes to various targets, a couple of throws or takedowns, and some control holds, as well as a few effective pressure points for control or motivation.

So... within that framework... what would YOU suggest be included? Remember -- it's got to be something that can be taught to someone with no prior experience quickly, and it's got to be scalable to a use of force model. (Cops can't put everyone they deal with into a rear naked choke; that counts as lethal force.)

Hi buddy,

I understand this situation you've exposed so that I believe it should be computed as part of work hours journey at least 6 hours a week of hand to hand training. We can observe daily law eforcement officers totally unprepared to deal with criminal martial artists. In Brazil it's a human right of cops to have their physical training computed as part of their work (1) . Besides it's still only a legal precept, it is not enough. More than physical conditioning and health it's necessary to pursue and develop martial skills.

1- Estimular a prática regular de exercícios físicos, garantindo a adoção de mecanismos que permitam o cômputo de horas de atividade física como parte da jornada semanal de trabalho.

https://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&...FjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3eiHvhJvg4OiIDYfrs6lVc

Ronald Condé martial arts and combat Sports coach

Last edited:

Latest Discussions