Defense against an unfriendly handshake

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I have missed like you said and gave my fingers and still there was a legit shake. So, your example doesn't disprove my theory. No matter what, either people extend and shake honestly, whether one misses, dives in, etc..Or, they don't. Those are the only two levels that exist. It's honest or not.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have missed like you said and gave my fingers and still there was a legit shake. So, your example doesn't disprove my theory. No matter what, either people extend and shake honestly, whether one misses, dives in, etc..Or, they don't. Those are the only two levels that exist. It's honest or not.
No, its a style.
sean

Leopard claw

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A fast one of the top of my head is to take your left hand, make a extended middle knuckle fist (dragon fist) and grind your knuckle into their right hand. Not a good feeling, they will let go!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A fast one of the top of my head is to take your left hand, make a extended middle knuckle fist (dragon fist) and grind your knuckle into their right hand. Not a good feeling, they will let go!

To add some gravy to those potatoes, go ahead like you said with your left hand, but overhand grab your own right thumb to create additional leverage to really sink those knuckles into the back of the aggressors hand. I don't think would use it in a real situation, but it's a nice one to make your partner feel a little pain.

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have never heard about someone being attacked by a handshake , but if the intend to hurt you is real (like a man trying to shake a woman's hand to kidnap and rape or ) then I would suggest using the free hand to finger jab his eye or striking his thoat while simultaneously throwing a front kick (if he has longer reach on you or a knee is he is closer.Then when he is stunned by the pain......RUNNNN!!!

I hear alot of different techniques on this thread about engaging in various grappling,locking, trapping techniques etc.; but personally if someone is strong enough to assault you with a handshake , it might not be a good idea to get entangled with him.

In the US Army Infantry there's an old saying, "K.I.S.S." Which means "Keep It Simple Stupid."...hit the vital organs and run!!!!

For the ladies - If he doesnt go down ,from a stike to the eyes/throat and groin, scream and yell franticly to the top of your lungs to draw attention.

For the gentelmen - Buy that guy a beer!!!!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have never heard about someone being attacked by a handshake , but if the intend to hurt you is real (like a man trying to shake a woman's hand to kidnap and rape or ) then I would suggest using the free hand to finger jab his eye or striking his thoat while simultaneously throwing a front kick (if he has longer reach on you or a knee is he is closer.Then when he is stunned by the pain......RUNNNN!!!

I hear alot of different techniques on this thread about engaging in various grappling,locking, trapping techniques etc.; but personally if someone is strong enough to assault you with a handshake , it might not be a good idea to get entangled with him.

In the US Army Infantry there's an old saying, "K.I.S.S." Which means "Keep It Simple Stupid."...hit the vital organs and run!!!!

For the ladies - If he doesnt go down ,from a stike to the eyes/throat and groin, scream and yell franticly to the top of your lungs to draw attention.

For the gentelmen - Buy that guy a beer!!!!

No disrespect meant from this post just some history and comments. :)

Never being attacked by a handshake.

I have seen those try to crush people hands in "Friendly" Contests.

I have seen those who for security carry a batton on their side. Most are right handed. So they carry there on their right side.

I have even trained some of those who carry there but worked for others. They ask for the training in particular after I would be a jerk to them. I would walk up and shake their hand with my right. My Left would grab their batton in a reverse grip / ice pick manner and I would butt/punyo them in the short ribs. If they had some basic training on someone redirecting their right hand in a grip and or to counter from there they might have stood a chance. Instead after the quick Pop I let it fall back into the ring as it did not have to clear to get my strike. I then did a joint lock on them. If I can do it, then the bad guy can do it. I was reading on another forum yesterday where they linked in a third forum that was a white supremist forum and how they were looking for training in certain arts or weapons. I know what I consider the bad guys are looking and training. The security guards were not trained in weapon retention properly. They did not treat their batton like a firearm and how the police train to always keep it back and less available to be grabbed.

But like I said it is a good point of reference.

There are some direct applications.

Are they most likely attack? No. The sucker punch is the most common.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
No disrespect meant from this post just some history and comments. :)

Never being attacked by a handshake.

I have seen those try to crush people hands in "Friendly" Contests.

I have seen those who for security carry a batton on their side. Most are right handed. So they carry there on their right side.

I have even trained some of those who carry there but worked for others. They ask for the training in particular after I would be a jerk to them. I would walk up and shake their hand with my right. My Left would grab their batton in a reverse grip / ice pick manner and I would butt/punyo them in the short ribs. If they had some basic training on someone redirecting their right hand in a grip and or to counter from there they might have stood a chance. Instead after the quick Pop I let it fall back into the ring as it did not have to clear to get my strike. I then did a joint lock on them. If I can do it, then the bad guy can do it. I was reading on another forum yesterday where they linked in a third forum that was a white supremist forum and how they were looking for training in certain arts or weapons. I know what I consider the bad guys are looking and training. The security guards were not trained in weapon retention properly. They did not treat their batton like a firearm and how the police train to always keep it back and less available to be grabbed.
Interesting training, Rich. Having worked security before and knowing what that baton can do in the wrong hands, that's a pretty realistic scenario. I'd be interested in the forum link to the white supremicist link, since I work with gang kids all day long and like to keep up with what they're doing (and the adults above them). You could PM me if you don't want to sidetrack this thread. Would appreciate it.

Mark

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting training, Rich. Having worked security before and knowing what that baton can do in the wrong hands, that's a pretty realistic scenario. I'd be interested in the forum link to the white supremicist link, since I work with gang kids all day long and like to keep up with what they're doing (and the adults above them). You could PM me if you don't want to sidetrack this thread. Would appreciate it.

Mark

I will try to dig it back up.

It is a Martial arts forum I do not visit often and I will try to get back their today.

Thanks

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have one required threatening handshake technique in our curriculum and 3 additional techniques I teach from time to time but the additional 3 are not required. The attackers hand not doing the shake is making a fist and the attacker is about to punch you with it!
While I don't think this is an extremely common attack I have seen and heard about similar situations and I like including at least one defense off of it.
I had someone try crushing my hand one time but unfortunately for him my hand strength was a bit better than his! :)

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've found something that works pretty well... Keep your index and middle fingers together. Seperate them at a 60 degree angle from the lower two. Seems to lessen the effect of a "vice-grip". Not sure why it works, but it does :) At least for me...

Live long and prosper.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My father's late Aikijujitsu teacher had an excellent one. Take your index and middle fingers and place the lightly, no need to press, on the other guy's wrist. The change in angle alters the grip enough so that it's no longer crushing. You can stand and smile sweetly while he strains.
We use this is as well. Incidentally the same handshake appears in my son's cubscout book as the proper way for scouts to shake hands.