deer hook swords

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
But would it really hurt if he used those things on ya? :lol:

Another of those, If only there was time... Bagua is really smooth. Wonder how long it takes to make it look that easy?

Another good find, BTW. :)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Indeed a very good find.
I recall seeing a (version) of those used in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. The blades looked different in the film as compared to the video shown. Wonder if there is more than one style/type of these particular swords?
Also is anyone familiar with the origins of these blades? How did the design come about and if the various points have specific uses?
Would like to know more. They're beautiful instruments to be sure.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I recall seeing a (version) of those used in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. The blades looked different in the film as compared to the video shown. Wonder if there is more than one style/type of these particular swords?
Also is anyone familiar with the origins of these blades? How did the design come about and if the various points have specific uses?
Would like to know more. They're beautiful instruments to be sure.
the deer horn knives were the weapon of choice of the founder of bagua, dong hai chuan. basically, 2 overlapping crescent shaped blades, all cutting edges except the grip and the edge facing the grip. most have 4 points each (total of 8, its bagua right~) with the overlap producing a 2 larger edges forward and 2 smaller blades aft. some are evenly overlapped so the two forward edges are equal in length, and some are off-centered so the 'top' forward edge is larger than the bottom one. (this is real hard to descripe without pics). others are overlapped off-center to the point that there are only 3 edges.

typically, trainers have 4 equal sized edges, are not sharpened and have rounded tips. the beauty of bagua is you can begin practicing with the deer horn knives by applying them to your empty handed form. i've done that thus far with forms that follow the circle counter-clockwise, then clockwise with 'palm changes' used to change direction. the form in the video is a 'cascading' form that i began learning about a year and a half ago, and will now be learning to apply the deer horn knives to the set. notice how it is more free-form and interpretive.

This is in tradition of Liu Jing Ru, my teacher's teacher in China. From what i've heard from my teacher, the guy in the video (Han?) and his twin brother are Liu's top disciples.

good stuff!

pete

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the deer horn knives were the weapon of choice of the founder of bagua, dong hai chuan. basically, 2 overlapping crescent shaped blades, all cutting edges except the grip and the edge facing the grip. most have 4 points each (total of 8, its bagua right~) with the overlap producing a 2 larger edges forward and 2 smaller blades aft. some are evenly overlapped so the two forward edges are equal in length, and some are off-centered so the 'top' forward edge is larger than the bottom one. (this is real hard to descripe without pics). others are overlapped off-center to the point that there are only 3 edges.

typically, trainers have 4 equal sized edges, are not sharpened and have rounded tips. the beauty of bagua is you can begin practicing with the deer horn knives by applying them to your empty handed form. i've done that thus far with forms that follow the circle counter-clockwise, then clockwise with 'palm changes' used to change direction. the form in the video is a 'cascading' form that i began learning about a year and a half ago, and will now be learning to apply the deer horn knives to the set. notice how it is more free-form and interpretive.

This is in tradition of Liu Jing Ru, my teacher's teacher in China. From what i've heard from my teacher, the guy in the video (Han?) and his twin brother are Liu's top disciples.

good stuff!

pete

Thanks Pete for answering the question. :asian:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This was awesome to watch. Thanks for finding it!

Latest Discussions