Dedication, perseverance....and distance

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How far are/were you willing to travel to train on a regular basis?

I first started training with ATA when I was overseas, doing contract work in the Republic of the Marshall Islands. When I came back, I was living in Angleton, TX and the nearest ATA school to me was 51.3 miles from my driveway. I made class at least 3 nights a week.

I don't travel that much now; I own the school and live about a mile away from it. But I thought the value I got from the classes was worth the commute. How about you? What's your limit?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda spoiled, as 1 of my teachers is within walking distance and the other places I train are within 30min. How far would I be willing to travel? I'd probably be willing to go 2-3 hrs. away from my home, if the training was worth it. Of course, if I did drive that far, I'd try to get in some private lessons as well. :) May as well make the most of it.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm really spoiled, I live a 1 minute drive from my Sensei's house and a 5 minute drive to where we practice.
I have drove 100km to train before, 600km for seminars.
I don't know how far i would drive, when life doesn't get in the way, I train a lot, when life gets in the way, I train little. If, god forbid, Sensei disapeared tomorrow and I didn't take over the club, I would drive the 100km a couple of times a month and practice on my own.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't know. I live 5 minutes away from the dojo; 10 minutes away from my sensei. If had to drive over half an hour, I don't know how much I would train. It's not only a matter of wanting to spend that amount of time, it's also a matter of being able to fit it in the schedule. Since I have kids and my wife works as well, we have to work out a schedule that works for the both of us.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
My kenpo instructor was 40 miles from my house, made that at least 3x per week.

My kali instructor was 200 miles from my house, visited him for private lessons at least once a month, plus every seminar I could attend.

Now I live 4 blocks from the studio, its a nice change. :D

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you really like what you're doing then you'll be willing to go the extra mile.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For most of my Karate and Kung Fu training I traveled between 10-20 minutes 2-3 times a week. (2 different chools in 2 different towns.) When I began training Silat I drove 4 hours one way, attended a 5 hr class, and then drove 4 hrs home once or twice a month.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I currently drive 30-45 mins (depending on traffic) 4x a week. I don't hink I'd have a problem driving a little longer to get to this school.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm about 15-20 minutes from my CLF sifu & about 30 minutes from my taiji class.

I have done completely across Atlanta before (from west to east) which depending on the mood of the participants, can be easy or rage/suicide inducing.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well until recently I was 45 minutes from my Taijiquan class and 45 minutes to an hour from just about anything else I might consider. But I have also traveled about 2 hours for Qigong and 1 hour for Xingyiquan

I am now 15 minutes from my taijiquan class and about 30 minutes from just about anything else.

However I am considering 1.5 hours for Bagua another 2 hours for qigong and I have traveled over 3 hours to train Taiji Tuishou and I will go 9900 miles to train when I find the right sifu... But then I will be going that far anyway so why not train when I'm there.

chaos1551

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd be willing to drive 30 minutes or so. Too many other things going on in my life would make anything more impractical. Luckily, I just walk two buildings to the west after work for class.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll do whatever it takes.

I have to travel over 3 hrs to get to my teacher. I don't do it often, as I have a good training group where I am and good progress is being made. I'll probably go up in a month or so. I am planning to attend a seminar or two in the U.S. soon, and may have to go overseas for instruction as well.

Best regards,

-Mark

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I used to drive 30 min, each way, 6 times a week. These days I'm fortunate where I train is about 2 minutes out of the way on my normal daily commute.

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I travel 54 miles for two days a week.
And I make it a point to never miss a day.

Latest Discussions