Debate Room

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Debate about whatever is on your mind.

Politics, Gun rights, Styles of MA, Languages, Spelling, War, Etc. Etc.

Keep it Polite and remember your sense of humor.

Tess

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess
Life to me is much more enjoyable when I don't have to fret about punctuation~!

To my simple mind. I wouldn't have caught the grammatical error. Where's Kimpatsu when you need him.

I

IsshinryuKarateGirl

Ok, I just feel like ranting about how much I hate the French language...too many ways to say one word. I just hate that stuff about foriegn languages.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Debate about whatever is on your mind.

Politics, Gun rights, Styles of MA, Languages, Spelling, War, Etc. Etc.

Keep it Polite and remember your sense of humor.

Tess

that's 'humour'.... :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry Tess, couldn't resist that!

Ian.

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber
that's 'humour'.... :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry Tess, couldn't resist that!

Ian.

Hahaha Ian.. We gave up the U to Canada and The rest of the world's English speaking people~! Think they took Bostonians R too *G*

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay- here's mine........I want to know what is up with all the people who now leave the "H" sound out of some words......did they always do this and it is just now bothering me or have they just started and are trying to make me extend my list of pet peeves?

Example: saying "U-mor" instead of "Humor"- not talking about the spelling here, but the sound (I get on my Canadian hubby enough about the spelling!!)

Another example- saying "U-man" instead of "Human"!!

Arghh!! It drives me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

:asian: :karate:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, And Yundai instead of hyundai.

Oh wait... :rofl:

T

tkdcanada

Re: People who leave out the H sound - They must be French! The H is not pronounced in French. :)

K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
To my simple mind. I wouldn't have caught the grammatical error. Where's Kimpatsu when you need him.
Right here. I just arrived.
Traditionally, British English places the punctuation marks outside the quotation marks, "like this", and American English places them inside, "like this."
This seems to be changing now, though, and the latest suggestion from the lexicographers at Clifton (yes, the people responsible for Cliff's Notes) suggest that full stops should indeed be placed inside:
"What joy we had that particular day."
However, if the quotation is part of another statement, the full stop goes outside the quote marks:
Mrs Higginbottam whispered "They're coming".
If, in the case of brackets, the parenthesis is a complete sentence, the full stop stays inside the brackets:
There was an earthquake in Osaka. (Another had occurred in Tokyo the year previously.)
HTH.
---
The Orthography Comnmandos strike again!
:soapbox:

K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by IsshinryuKarateGirl
Ok, I just feel like ranting about how much I hate the French language...too many ways to say one word. I just hate that stuff about foriegn languages.
Qu'est-ce que vous dîtes? La langue française est merveilleuse. C'est le language de Voltaire, Molière, Hugo, et Balzac, etc., et c'est comme parlant avec une bouche pleine de miel. Je l'aime beaucoup.
Mais je déteste ceux qui sont anglophone seulement. Les pauvres!
:soapbox:

K

Kimpatsu

Hahaha Ian.. We gave up the U to Canada and The rest of the world's English speaking people~! Think they took Bostonians R too *G*
No, it's because Americans are selfish, and there's no room for "U" in their language... :D

K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by Shodan
Okay- here's mine........I want to know what is up with all the people who now leave the "H" sound out of some words......did they always do this and it is just now bothering me or have they just started and are trying to make me extend my list of pet peeves?

Example: saying "U-mor" instead of "Humor"- not talking about the spelling here, but the sound (I get on my Canadian hubby enough about the spelling!!)

Another example- saying "U-man" instead of "Human"!!

Arghh!! It drives me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!
Cor blimey, luv, don'tcha no that we Cockneys NEVER pronounce the "h"; like in 'otel, 'ostel, 'ome (and 'arth), but we 'ave big 'arts an' luv ta speak gentle, like?

M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by Kimpatsu
Cor blimey, luv, don'tcha no that we Cockneys NEVER pronounce the "h"; like in 'otel, 'ostel, 'ome (and 'arth), but we 'ave big 'arts an' luv ta speak gentle, like?

..................The sad thing is I know people and live next to people who speak like that :shrug:

Latest Discussions