Dealing with Power hitters

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you know the kind.. newbies who come in and spar like they are fighting for their very lives.. white belts, flailing ,, spinning backfists,, kicking and punching with all their strength.. You as their partner/ instructor put up with only so much.. til you return.. Power to Power..
Oh I know we've all been there.. just spouting off :)
*looking at a livid purple bruise on my tricep.. and knowing StickDummy has a nasty one on his elbow from this newbie.. sheesh~!!

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
StickDummy has a nasty one on his elbow from this newbie

I'd hate to see what kind of bruise the newbie has if he hit an elbow that hard.

You are there to teach and help not be a punching bag, be sure and let them know this otherwise let them spar with somebody that far outclasses them, a person who can keep them in check without taking the damage. I used to know a guy that would just make you look silly when you fought him, beat you to the punch every time or evade...brutal. Stepped up your game though.

I was going to suggest that you could block with your elbows and shins, that usually gives them a hint they are doing something wrong or a good shot to the solar plexus which shouldn't be too hard to nail if they are newbies.

And I suppose you could look at it like a learning experiance of absorbing blows (trying to put a positive spin on it for you)

Rob

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Robbo
I'd hate to see what kind of bruise the newbie has if he hit an elbow that hard.

You are there to teach and help not be a punching bag, be sure and let them know this otherwise let them spar with somebody that far outclasses them, a person who can keep them in check without taking the damage. I used to know a guy that would just make you look silly when you fought him, beat you to the punch every time or evade...brutal. Stepped up your game though.

I was going to suggest that you could block with your elbows and shins, that usually gives them a hint they are doing something wrong or a good shot to the solar plexus which shouldn't be too hard to nail if they are newbies.

And I suppose you could look at it like a learning experiance of absorbing blows (trying to put a positive spin on it for you)

Rob

the newbie kicked .. Stickdummy blocked with his elbow.. oh it's a learning experience for the newbie.. we all told him.. relax.. lay off the power.. but he didn't get it.. he will learn.. he's a purple belt in some offshoot of Kenpo that only has 3 yellow tecs.. and has not a clue how to fight.. we'll teach him :)

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by KenpoTess
the newbie kicked .. Stickdummy blocked with his elbow.. oh it's a learning experience for the newbie.. we all told him.. relax.. lay off the power.. but he didn't get it.. he will learn.. he's a purple belt in some offshoot of Kenpo that only has 3 yellow tecs.. and has not a clue how to fight.. we'll teach him :)

To hear is to doubt, to see is to be deceived, but to feel is to believe.
:asian:

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know this type pretty well. I've seen it in a lot of beginners and sadly I've seen it in a few Black Belts.

With the beginners all you can do is be patient. You try to teach that it is a friendly environment and that all techniques should connect with 50% power. Of course then the same novices will connect with 90% power and brag that they are only using 50% power. In time they'll relax and it'll work out.

With the Black Belts it's pretty much fried into their thick heads. They didn't get it way back when and they don't get it now. The best thing to do is put the hard hitters with the people that like being hit hard. I love going all out with the hard hittin' beginners and the black belts. However noone else did and I reduced the amount of training time that the hard hitters spent with anyone else.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Usually, these knuckleheads go against me first. They seem to think that because I have shown them that they really know NOTHING that they have to try and prove it on everyone else.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This has happened to me, i warn them about 3 times for contact, the last one being a serious warning, and if they carry on then I put them up against some brown belts and mention they havea contact problem that needs 'addressing'.

They get hurt back, then about 80% leave the club never to be seen again, and the other 20% realise the correct temperament and beign their martial arts journey.

You can only tell people so many times though...

Ian.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen this happen many times also. I think they just get excited about fighting with an upper rank and they want to see what they can do. Due to the fact that they are new, they need to constantly be told about the contact, control, etc.

Usually when I spar a new person, or anyone of a lower rank for that matter, I go at their pace. I tell them up front that I will only go as hard as they go against me. There are times when you need to "spank" them a little to get your point across if they continue to go hard, but you dont want to put the through the wall! If it seems that they are not learning the lesson, then they are done with sparring for that time--No exceptions!!

Dont get me wrong, I have no prob. with going hard with someone, but there always has to be that fine line. Your training should be a learning experience, not to see who can hurt the other person worse!

Mike

C

clapping_tiger

Originally posted by MJS
I've seen this happen many times also. I think they just get excited about fighting with an upper rank and they want to see what they can do. Due to the fact that they are new, they need to constantly be told about the contact, control, etc.

Usually when I spar a new person, or anyone of a lower rank for that matter, I go at their pace. I tell them up front that I will only go as hard as they go against me. There are times when you need to "spank" them a little to get your point across if they continue to go hard, but you dont want to put the through the wall! If it seems that they are not learning the lesson, then they are done with sparring for that time--No exceptions!!

Dont get me wrong, I have no prob. with going hard with someone, but there always has to be that fine line. Your training should be a learning experience, not to see who can hurt the other person worse!

Mike

This is what we do when we spar. The instructor always reminds the class that the lower belt dictates the pace, and aggressiveness of the match. Mostly it is ment as a reminder to the higher belts to take it easy (power and contact, not let them win)on the ones with less experience. But it also lets the lower belts know that if they come at us hard, we will do the same, within reason. We don't want to injure someone, or get injured ourselves. For the most part we have not had a problem at the school, but at tournaments that is a differnt matter. There was this one guy, a Yellow Belt, who was always looking like he thought he was in the UFC and out for blood. Everytime he would compete he would lose points, or get disqualified.

I

IsshinryuKarateGirl

Hmmm...you're dealing with power hitters and I'm dealing with this brain dead person. God, we're during class and we're working self defense (the type where you just work technique and you are supposed to go with the flow of things) and this kid who I had to work techiques on and he would just stand there. I mean, he didn't know which attack to use and he also wouldn't be taken down easy. Well, a few attacks later, I really showed him who's boss. The technique I did and the take-down I did...you could see the pain and shock on his face. Even though I did this, he still didn't pay attention and didn't go with the flow. I wouldn't be so mad if this person was a lower rank, but he's a brown belt...he should know better than this! I am just very fed up with this kid and I'm just venting off some anger...I'll fix him soon though...just wait till we have a class with sparring and he'll see who doesn't pay attention....

T

Tomyum

I've been training in muay thai for about 2 years, so I've taken and dished out a fair share of punishment in sparring and fights.

I think going at 60% power/ 90% speed is good for people to learn. I've had beginners escelate in sparring up to full contact trying to knock my block off with overhands and kick me into the wall. I ask them if they are ok with me bringing up the intensity and if so, then I go for knock down kicks to the thigh and body and try to work their body like a heavy bag.

IMO Pounding the body/legs consistently for one round usually brings down the intensity to 50-60%. Think about it; hitting their ribs, solar plexus and abs is like squeezing the air out of an open baloon. In muay thai we kick to the legs alot, so if you have a head hunter coming after you, nothing slows him down and gains his respect like 1-2 solid kicks to the thigh of his lead leg.

Don't take it personal and show rank. Show him what you've got.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*looking at a livid purple bruise on my tricep.. and knowing StickDummy has a nasty one on his elbow from this newbie.. sheesh~!!

I like a front kick to try and knock them on their ****.:rofl: ....However I have noticed over the years that a sidekick placed on the arm works just as well. Eventually they learn to calm down the power.

R

RCastillo

you know the kind.. newbies who come in and spar like they are fighting for their very lives.. white belts, flailing ,, spinning backfists,, kicking and punching with all their strength.. You as their partner/ instructor put up with only so much.. til you return.. Power to Power..
Oh I know we've all been there.. just spouting off :)

I ask them once, to cool it, and like you, I also tell them ahead of time. If they go off, I Mike Tyson their butt. One student I had I put him through my garage wall. He did come back, and learned the errors of his ways, made it to 2nd Brown before he moved away.

Another gentleman, with 15 yrs of experiece , mainly in Filipino Arts, and 11 yrs older than me went all over me, so I floored him with a right cross, he never came back. I don't need that kind of student, cause I will dismantle him.

Moral of this story: Never go hard on this old man unless you're tired of living, or put up some BIG money!:asian:

Post Script: If I ever get to go to W.Virginia, remind me to FORGET my gear. I don't want a souvenir Black Eye from Queen Tess!:eek:

P

progressivetactics

Yes..we have all seen our shares of knuckle heads newbies, or just un-aware of their own power-people who have trouble with speed/contact in class while practicing. I typically fight all new people the first time, and select who will be assigned that person until they develop some style. I can monitor ability/power, etc. before handing them off to someone, and I give them a forewarning of what the new one is like.

One thing to remember about that difficult newbie....They are giving you much more of a realism then the partner who just 'goes with it'. Often we get conditioned by a partner who knows the fall, knows the combination, knows our body types...our thresholds.....and respects all of that.
A new person without that preconcieved notion, either out of ignorance or lack of consideration or just plain a newbie makes you realize how your techniques need to be modified for actual application. Often they are not as pretty perfect as we would like them to be.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth
I like a front kick to try and knock them on their ****.:rofl: ....However I have noticed over the years that a sidekick placed on the arm works just as well. Eventually they learn to calm down the power.

Good point! I've actually done the same thing. I've fought some people that come in hard, but seem to have a good guard, so some of the kicks land on their arms. While they didnt think that this was taking a toll on them, because they still kept coming in hard, and I kept hitting them hard in the arm, they realized the next day, when their arms were sore. They said to me, "Wow, my arms are so sore from sparring the other day." I remind them, that if they slowed down a little, maybe next time, it wouldn't be as bad. Unfortuantely, some of them still didnt listen. It was like talking to the wall!

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by progressivetactics
[
One thing to remember about that difficult newbie....They are giving you much more of a realism then the partner who just 'goes with it'. Often we get conditioned by a partner who knows the fall, knows the combination, knows our body types...our thresholds.....and respects all of that.
A new person without that preconcieved notion, either out of ignorance or lack of consideration or just plain a newbie makes you realize how your techniques need to be modified for actual application. Often they are not as pretty perfect as we would like them to be. [/B]

Very True! I couldnt agree with you more!!! They definatley have this way of keeping you in check!:D Thats why its important to train with different people. Grabbing a blue belt and doing your BB tech. will definately give you a different feel to them!

Mike

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We let students know up front that we spar at the pace that they set.
If someone has controlled power techniques, there are fight strategies for that.
If someone is out of control, i am quick to warn them and also will have them take the gear off for the night and tell them to go home!
Also, everyone has the right to spar only other students/ instructors that they are comfortable with.
There needs to be a strong person running the ring that keeps control of the ring.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by MJS
Mike

Yeah!:D ,That's exactly what I'm talking about. After quite a few sidekicks to the bicep they tend to change sides. Then proceed to pound the other arm. Usually what I would get is "Hey would you quit kicking my arm". I would say "Would you calm down on the power".

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
Yeah!:D ,That's exactly what I'm talking about. After quite a few sidekicks to the bicep they tend to change sides. Then proceed to pound the other arm. Usually what I would get is "Hey would you quit kicking my arm". I would say "Would you calm down on the power".

Try doing that to my "Pythons", and they'll bite back!:cool: