David Rovics song, "Waiting for the Fall"

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think Rovics is doing a good job here, putting together "socially significant", lyrics with music that cooks. From what I am reading his descriptions of life outside the green zone are accurate.

"Waiting for the Fall" is the seventh one down on this list, I think.

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/01/default.cfm?bandID=111310&content=music

Music has always played a part in increasing awareness of the social consciousness of a people. This was strongly evident during the Vietnam War with the protest, anti-violent, peace songs i.e. Neil Young's "Ohio", The Doors' ""Unknown Soldier" and Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth." and countless others, that are now considered "classic rock"
There were pro-war songs during the First and Second World Wars. U2 and their music spoke out against the violence of the bloody Irish/English war of the 80's. The list goes on.

Some artists fade to obscurity with their well intentioned messages and others will rise to meteoric fame and the song(s) become #1 commercial hits and surrounded with hype that the central message becomes lost.

Hopefully like during the 60's the music will influence a generation to rally against a war-mongering government body (present administration) to wake up and see what's going on and that another way must be found.

OP
T

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You give a good overview of social commentary in popular songs, and I agree with you.

Latest Discussions