Dan Hooker vs Claudo

lowkicksensei

White Belt
Reaction score
Dan Hooker vs Claudio

In this Videos Dc says ( this works because he a southpaw ) but why? I don’t understand this?
Dan Hooker teeps him in the Stomach but this kick don’t work so well vs a orthodox fighter? Can somebody explain me this?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dan Hooker vs Claudio

In this Videos Dc says ( this works because he a southpaw ) but why? I don’t understand this?
Dan Hooker teeps him in the Stomach but this kick don’t work so well vs a orthodox fighter? Can somebody explain me this?
I do hundreds of those kicks a week. It's not a teep, it's just a regular front kick striking with the toes. Really basic kick but very reliable when done correctly. You can land it no matter what stance a person is in. Where it lands however depends on how the defender stands. Had he been in an orthodox stance it would have landed in where it did.

The reason the kick works because it travels in the blind spot under the guard. By the time you see the kick, it has already landed.

Don't listen to what the announcer says at that point in time. Oh it also didn't land on the belly. You want to aim for ribs with this kick. You also want to kick with your toe. You want to kick with the ball of your foot.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Dan Hooker vs Claudio

Because, they are in open stance—Dan (orthodox stance) vs Claudio (southpaw). In open stance, Claudio's stomach is more open to Dan's kick.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dan Hooker vs Claudio

Easy. There is no such thing as an "orthodox fighter".

It's weird to see people discussing this MMA match using boxing terms.

Modern MMA fighters train to be ambidextrous. Orthodox vs. southpaw is an old fashioned European boxing trope.

Teep kicks are effective because, like Jow Ga said, they blow right through anybody who is not guarding their abdomen. Which is practically anyone in a full contact match.

This is why teep is such an effective Muay Thai attack. At worst, a defender is going to move back. At Best, they will be on the ground.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Easy. There is no such thing as an "orthodox fighter".

It's weird to see people discussing this MMA match using boxing terms.

Modern MMA fighters train to be ambidextrous. Orthodox vs. southpaw is an old fashioned European boxing trope.
Regardless of the origin or "appropriateness," orthodox is used to describe a fighter that puts their left foot forward in combat sports (e.g., Muay Thai, MMA, boxing).

Teep kicks are effective because, like Jow Ga said, they blow right through anybody who is not guarding their abdomen. Which is practically anyone in a full contact match.

This is why teep is such an effective Muay Thai attack. At worst, a defender is going to move back. At Best, they will be on the ground.
In the open stance, the rear teep kick "targets the squishy bits of the tummy and the internal organs it protects, while kicks to the closed side of the body run into the harder back muscles."

In addition, the rear teep body kick "transfers momentum across a weak plane."

"Tawanchai's Power Femeu Style"

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Because, they are in open stance—Dan (orthodox stance) vs Claudio (southpaw). In open stance, Claudio's stomach is more open to Dan's kick.

It never made a difference for me. Front leg Front kick rear leg Front kick, open stance close stance, it's always the same. There is a big gap in the guard that is shaped like a triangle the only way to close it is with a traditional side stance. The more the shoulders face forward the bigger that gap. To add to the risk I'd that the kick travels through the blind spot and that's the real danger.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Regardless of the origin or "appropriateness," orthodox is used to describe a fighter that puts their left foot forward in combat sports (e.g., Muay Thai, MMA, boxing).
"orthodox" and "southpaw" are totally not Thai words though. The classic Muay Thai stance barely differentiates between which leg is forward, it's more of a square stance.

And the use of the terms in MMA is antiquated. Most MMA fighters (wisely) are not classified by this the way it was in boxing for 100 years. Nowadays fighters do not want to be know by their stance.

Did you ever see Rocky? This used to be a big deal, orthodox or southpaw. It changed your whole tactics.

In MMA now, nobody cares because you need to know how to lead with both feet, and they do it well. Nobody is a "right handed" or "left handed" fighters in UFC, otherwise you are practically handicapped.
In the open stance, the rear teep kick "targets the squishy bits of the tummy and the internal organs it protects, while kicks to the closed side of the body run into the harder back muscles."

In addition, the rear teep body kick "transfers momentum across a weak plane."

"Tawanchai's Power Femeu Style"
I'm glad we agree it was a good teep.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"orthodox" and "southpaw" are totally not Thai words though. The classic Muay Thai stance barely differentiates between which leg is forward, it's more of a square stance.

And the use of the terms in MMA is antiquated. Most MMA fighters (wisely) are not classified by this the way it was in boxing for 100 years. Nowadays fighters do not want to be know by their stance.

Did you ever see Rocky? This used to be a big deal, orthodox or southpaw. It changed your whole tactics.

In MMA now, nobody cares because you need to know how to lead with both feet, and they do it well. Nobody is a "right handed" or "left handed" fighters in UFC, otherwise you are practically handicapped.

I'm glad we agree it was a good teep.
Front kick

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a sensitive thing in Muay Thai circles...never call it that in front of Nak Muay.
I'm going to walk around in some dirt for a bit. Then go to a Muay Thai gym and show them what a front kick looks like then teepee them in the face and put up my Jow Ga gang sign lol.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score

You may be correct on the origin. However again, they are English words used by fighters and trainers in combat sports including Muay Thai which is the reason for posting the article "Tawanchai's Power Femeu Style."

It's still a thing, it matters in combat sports and I was answering the OP's question. Certain weapons and tactics change when fighting open or closed stance, which was illustrated by the video and article I posted. Here are a few others...

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
You may be correct on the origin. However again, they are English words used by fighters and trainers in combat sports including Muay Thai which is the reason for posting the article "Tawanchai's Power Femeu Style."
Well thanks for the lesson. But actually...

Orthodox is Greek.

Southpaw is baseball slang.
It's still a thing, it matters in combat sports
Not really because that whole "leftie or rightie" thing is as outdated as Folgers Crystals.
and I was answering the OP's question. Certain weapons and tactics change when fighting open or closed stance, which was illustrated by the video and article I posted. Here are a few others...

Great.

Have you ever been teeped? Or teeped another?

I hope by now you recognize you're chatting with a well trained Thai boxer, who is trying to help you understand what transpired in the OP video.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dan Hooker vs Claudio

As seen here.

lowkicksensei was questioning the commentators dumbass statements.

They were truly stupid.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't listen to what the announcer says at that point in time.
Understand?

Never listen to commentators talking about stances. It's worse than so called "foodies" yapping about the umami.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score

It's still a thing, it matters in combat sports and I was answering the OP's question. Certain weapons and tactics change when fighting open or closed stance, which was illustrated by the video and article I posted. Here are a few others...

Well thanks for the lesson. But actually...

Orthodox is Greek.

Southpaw is baseball slang.

Not really because that whole "leftie or rightie" thing is as outdated as Folgers Crystals.

Great.

Have you ever been teeped? Or teeped another?

I hope by now you recognize you're chatting with a well trained Thai boxer.
Then, please quote and time stamp your arguments against the article and 3 videos. Any valid arguments are welcomed. Sylvie and Duane Ludwig are "well trained Thai boxers" as well. Daniel Cormier, the announcer, is a well trained, champion in MMA.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then, please quote and time stamp your arguments against the article and 3 videos. Any valid arguments are welcomed. Sylvie and Duane Ludwig are "well trained Thai boxers" as well.
But you're not, right?

Lol, "time stamp your arguments". I'll stamp you in the belly with my arguments.

I don't need to watch those videos. Why not add a "this is how Wing Chun beats Muay Thai" video? I'm sure there's one out there.

Latest Discussions