Daitobukan Dojo in Towson, MD?

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone trained with the Daitobukan Dojo in Towson, MD? I was considering checking out the classes. Is the instruction good?

http://daitobukan.com/

I have not trained with them. And the instruction looks good from the videos they have.

The only issue I would have with them is this, but if this doesn't matter to you. I would definitely check out the classes. And see for myself on how good the instruction is.
What is traditional Japanese Ju-Jitsu?
Ju-Jitsu is an ancient martial art developed and used by the samurai as a weaponless self-defense art. Ju means "gentle" or "gently" (and is sometimes translated as "yielding"), and Jitsu means "art." Ju-Jitsu then is translated as "the gentle art." Contrary to common perception Ju-Jitsu is not simply a ground fighting martial art, although such techniques are part of the repertoire. The art employs a variety of techniques to either incapacitate an attacker (when necessary) or put him into a controlled state (submission). These include combinations of joint locks, strikes (punches and kicks), throwing techniques, and grappling (ground fighting) techniques. Ultimately the intention of the Ju-Jitsuka is to throw the opponent to the ground.

Ju-Jitsu is the parent art that inspired judo, aikido, and many forms of karate. Because of its breadth it can be said to be the original "mixed martial art."

Since "Ju-Jitsu" is an attempt to use English spelling ("romanization") to approximate the pronunciation of two Japanese words (written with Chinese characters), it is spelled in various ways. The words may be capitalized (or not) and may be hyphenated, written as a single word, or written as two words. "Ju" is sometimes spelled "jiu," and "jitsu" is sometimes spelled "jutsu."

Based on the original instruction of Dr. Fromm, the philosophy of Budoshin Ju-Jitsu is that there is but one Ju-Jitsu. There are many styles and schools of Ju-Jitsu some of which are quite old, such as Seiguchi-ryu, Kito-ryu, Daito-ryu, and others.

Many martial arts were practiced in feudal Japan. Ju-Jitsu was one such art, also called taijutsu and yawara. The history of Ju-Jitsu can be said to have begun around the second century B.C. Its golden age occurred during the Tokugawa era (the Edo period) dating 1603-1868 AD. Tokugawa unified Japan and with the unification a number of fighting arts flourished. There are 725 recorded systems of Ju-Jitsu. Ju-Jitsu is a system of attack and most often is described only as a system of self defense. The art involves throwing, hitting, kicking, stabbing, slashing, choking, bending, and twisting of joints and limbs, as well as pinning an opponent. It includes defenses from these attacks.

There is a philosophy that goes along with the art. Because of the destructive potential, Ju-Jitsu places a strong emphasis on the concept of nonviolence. Physical confrontation should be avoided when possible; when avoidance is not possible, the minimum necessary harm should be inflicted. A jujitsu-ka (one. who practices Ju-Jitsu) is self confident that he can defeat his attacker and therefore does not need to prove it. Additionally, a confrontation means that all reason and intelligence has failed, and you are humanly degraded as a result of resorting to violence. With time and training the student will develop a feeling of confidence combined with humility, as well as self-control.

SenseiScott

White Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone trained with the Daitobukan Dojo in Towson, MD? I was considering checking out the classes. Is the instruction good?

Daitobukan Ju-Jitsu Dojo - Towson, Maryland
I'm one of the instructors now, though I wasn't when this question was posted. Obviously I'm not objective, but since we're not a business I'm mostly interested in working out whether the instruction style and syllabus are a good fit for you. We've moved to Timonium (inside acac) and will reopen on 8/4/21. I know you posted this ages ago, but I figured I wouldn't leave it hanging. Our web site could stand some improvement, but our classes are extremely affordable.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm one of the instructors now, though I wasn't when this question was posted. Obviously I'm not objective, but since we're not a business I'm mostly interested in working out whether the instruction style and syllabus are a good fit for you. We've moved to Timonium (inside acac) and will reopen on 8/4/21. I know you posted this ages ago, but I figured I wouldn't leave it hanging. Our web site could stand some improvement, but our classes are extremely affordable.
Welcome to the forum SensieScott.