Dai Sau-hidden move?

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dai Sau will hold it's own just fine too. You use it to direct your opponent in a different manner than bong sau or fak sau. You can wrap the striking arm from dai sau for a arm lock, for example.

See, when you come into your opponent with dai sau your fingers are in their eyes, your almost chest to chest as you strike (thus, striking through the head) this opens the opponent for elbow strikes, neck and head control or throws. You step into the opponent as you dai sau off a hook or wide punch, just like anything else.

Your elbow in effect deflects the punch, not the forearm. you "ride" up the striking arm just like tan sau, only from the inside. Thus, you don't fight the strength of the opponent. If your can handle the force, you ride up the arm and strike from the inside, if the force is too great, you bong sau, thus turning your opponent's centerline away from you.
Dai Sau is just a way to take to opponent's centerline while still in it.
It's a high chit sau basically. (ack, Fung technique too I think. We don't do the other.)

A big meet would be fun! That would make alot of explanations on many techniques much easier. Especially the anti-grappling, sticky legs and such.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A big meet would be fun! That would make alot of explanations on many techniques much easier. Especially the anti-grappling, sticky legs and such.

They do it in FMAs (my other passion). They call it a "gathering". A friend of mine set up a local FMA gathering in the greater Phoenix area with everybody doing demos, workshops, and a Filipino potluck dinner. And, not a bad word was said about anybody's style or lineage. It was totally cool. It would do a lot of good for our whole family (WC/WT/VT) if we could get together like that. Maybe you could start with small, regional gatherings and build from there?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I still can't see the video (internet is not my strong point) but reading peoples descriptions I am starting to understand the gist

It is the transitional position between muen sao (asking arm) and bong sao

To be honest, it is a bad habit to get into as you are only blocking with the movement (ie to strike with the arm whilst performing the 'dai' sao would lead to a conflict of energy - you'd be fighting yourself), so it is really a more defensive position. Why not just hit with a fak sao?

Anyway, it does seem like a lot of people are more confused than helped by this thread. Maybe it would be better to arrange a big meet to do these things in person
The dai sau is the secondary defence the primary defence is your punch. Most times your punch has already hit them before their arm even makes contact with your dai sau.
It was drilled into us constantly to mainly think about the punch, even though it looks like the dai sau and punch happen at the same time.
The most important thing is your punch because this will help dissipate the attackers force.

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just awesome all the way around! Great advice on the Dai Sau, it's really just to "cover" you as you step in and punch.

And the idea for a "gathering" is totally awesome too! I like that alot! I never thought of doing that kind of a "open seminar" type of get together. We've wanted to do seminars, but to get a Sifu of master to come down, we just honestly can't afford to "put them up" here in DFW. Some folks require that you pay their airfair too. ouch!

But this way everyone would just come down on their own accord and ability. We'll have to check with the recreation center to see if we can rent a room for a day or so.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah I think paying for a Sifu to come over is outrageous
Fair enough if the seminar was taken completely by him, but gatherings are usually best done if they are split into slots where at a certain time a certain chuner teaches one or two techniques

Certainly there is stuff I have been taught which other federations don't do, and there are other federations which do things I have never seen

The point is, you meet up, regardless of ego and explore techniques with each other

I've been to seminars taken by the supposedly best martial artists in the world and come away with nothing new. And yet I have been to more local seminars taken by local Sifus and come away buzzing with new ideas

It is not always the best people that teach you good things

That is why gatherings are fun

My brother lives in America and is fairly good at wing chun. I might do a trip to visit him and visit you guys as well. Or would the Americans fancy a trip to London?

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We'd Love to go to London! Been thinking about moving out of country.
If we went to visit too long, we might end up living there. lol!

We'd like to do one here too. Is your cousin in Texas?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is not always the best people that teach you good things
That is why gatherings are fun

My brother lives in America and is fairly good at wing chun. I might do a trip to visit him and visit you guys as well. Or would the Americans fancy a trip to London?

I agree totally with comment about "the best people..." And, I've never had to worry about becoming the best. It would be good enough to be considered "competent"!

As far as going to London...that would be fantastic. Literally...as in "when pigs fly". I'd have a hard time scraping together enough cash to get as far as Texas. Wait, now there's an idea. It's pretty centrally located within the States, has a nice climate most of the year, and is missing it's village idiot! He's in Washington. Besides, I know a few "chunners" there.

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There's a big Martial Arts festival in Austin in October. Hubbie's gonna compete in San Shou, maybe we could all hang out there.

Here's the link:

http://www.amafest.org/

It looks pretty neat.

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Awwww.... They shoot people everywhere!

My neighborhood is never dull, but in Austin there will be a bunch of MA's. Folks that don't need guns. lol!

I'm looking forward to seeing San Shou (however you spell it). And it might be a cool place to market. I've GOT to get a video camera before October!

Latest Discussions