Cycle of operations... Precision striking capabilities

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing that has been pivotal in my understanding of Muay Femur and/or precision striking is the realization that the process is similar to the cycle of operation any weapon has to complete. Such as the cycle of operation on an AR-15.

If the cycle is completed the strike will have precision, power and accuracy. Also, and this is key, you will have esencially "reloaded" and can effortlessly fire of another shot with equal precision, power and accuracy.

There are important nuances to this. But if done well, if all steps in the cycle are always completed, you have the ability to throw any strike at any time and have a good built in defense.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Using the arm as an example, it is a multi-lever or complex joint. The primary pivots are the shoulder, elbow, and wrist. Each pivot can be affected by the others. 100% Efficiency of motion is dependent on the relationship of each member but more importantly, the muscle group moving that member. For the majority of motions, strength is borrowed for another muscle group to complete a motion as needed. We see/do this all the time when we reach out to pick something up that is heavier than we thought. The shoulder muscles take over as the prime mover or the bicep shortens to make the moment arm shorter or maybe the wrist curls to change the loading point. Complex motion is well, complex. In the world of motion control (my world) it is called interpolated motion.

With a firearm, one motion is dependent on another motion. The trigger is pulled, which causes the hammer to fall, which causes the round to fire, which causes the bullet to leave the barrel. The first is dependent on the second, but the third is not dependent on the first.

I hope this makes sense.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Using the arm as an example, it is a multi-lever or complex joint. The primary pivots are the shoulder, elbow, and wrist. Each pivot can be affected by the others. 100% Efficiency of motion is dependent on the relationship of each member but more importantly, the muscle group moving that member. For the majority of motions, strength is borrowed for another muscle group to complete a motion as needed. We see/do this all the time when we reach out to pick something up that is heavier than we thought. The shoulder muscles take over as the prime mover or the bicep shortens to make the moment arm shorter or maybe the wrist curls to change the loading point. Complex motion is well, complex. In the world of motion control (my world) it is called interpolated motion.

With a firearm, one motion is dependent on another motion. The trigger is pulled, which causes the hammer to fall, which causes the round to fire, which causes the bullet to leave the barrel. The first is dependent on the second, but the third is not dependent on the first.

I hope this makes sense.
It makes sense. The real important part of what I'm trying to describe is returning to the exact starting point every time. Stance is 101 stuff, but if we can learn to return to the exact stance (precision) every time, that's a massive advantage. Because from that exact stance I can perform any strike with precision (assuming I understand foot work). Also that exact stance is where my checks and blocks come from.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Think about it this way.... Offense and defense all come from a fighting stance. The more I perfect and the better I can continually reset to that stance, the better my offense and defense will be.

A proper stance gives you offense and defense capabilities. The better you can reset to that stance with attention to detail, the better you will be.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In other words when you learn to return to your original stance after a strike, you are learning good defense also. You are also learning how to throw follow up strikes.

When I say stance I mean attention to detail on feet spacing, balance distribution, hand position and so forth.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Think about it this way.... Offense and defense all come from a fighting stance. The more I perfect and the better I can continually reset to that stance, the better my offense and defense will be.

A proper stance gives you offense and defense capabilities. The better you can reset to that stance with attention to detail, the better you will be.
Body mechanics. Everything comes from body mechanics. Stance is part of that. Breathing, balance, center of gravity, reciprocal energy application, tenseness and relaxation, timing, and so on.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I describe that as throwing 2 strikes. One there. One back.

Although I don't go to the same stance I go to the next one.

Which you could also make about shooting and say something like you don't pop your head out of cover in the same place each time.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I describe that as throwing 2 strikes. One there. One back.

Although I don't go to the same stance I go to the next one.

Which you could also make about shooting and say something like you don't pop your head out of cover in the same place each time.
The question to me isn't if you can throw a follow up strikes from a different angle. For me the question is can I throw any strike or do any defensive angle from various stances? And do it with the same speed, timing and power?