Curious if meditation part of tradition TDK?

J

Jrush

Just curious if meditiation is part of Traditional TDK? I am sure this can go either way and also for Sport TDK, but I wonder what the thoughts are from the board.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My school doesn't do meditation or ki practice either. But we are a Christian school, more traditional now then sport. TW

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
My school doesn't do meditation or ki practice either. But we are a Christian school, more traditional now then sport. TW

Just curious Tiger Woman,why do you define your school as a traditional Martial Arts (which is an asian art) Then teaches Christian Philosophy ? (That has nothing to do with asian philosophy). ??

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think she means traditional in the physical sense. That being learning TKD techniques for the sake of self-defense rather than sport. Which means learning both techniques and usage that are useful for self-defense but illegal in sport sparring.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's a difference between religion and philosophy. You could be a religious school and still incorporate aspects of Asian philosophy. They do not exclude each other. My judo and jujutsu instructor teaches science at a catholic school, but is well versed in Asian philosophy and often meditates before class.

Western religions and beliefs are mutually exclusive, you can't really be a Christian Muslim, or a Jewish Atheist. But the three major Asian religions Taoism, Buddhism, and Confucianism were all originially merely philosophies that over time have become transformed and indoctrinated with religious meanings, beliefs, and practices. Siddhartha Gautama, the founder of Buddhism, was himself an atheist. I personally see nothing wrong with being Christian and borrowing Confucianism's respect for elders and ancestors, (honor thy mother and father, anyone?) or the Taoist respect for harmony and nature or Buddhism's view on materials and desire (though shall not covet?) The thing about philosophies is that you can take and mix and match from them as you see fit. You're not required to swallow the whole system of ideas of a philosophy as Western religions often force you too.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
We meditate before every class. It is not a religious practice, but a chance to prepare mentally for the class. I tell the students to clear their minds-they may have had a good or a bad day, it does not matter-for the next 1.5 hrs they are to concentrate only on Taekwondo.

Miles

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, yes...the original question. My school does not practice meditation, but I know some schools do. Often I'll show up an hour or so before the beginner's class and will sit and relax and maybe do a bit of meditation myself, or just stretch and warmup.

Like Miles said, it really helps to clear your mind and focus on your training. I've seen people get hurt, myself included, by not being completely focused on what they're doing. Put your life on hold once you enter the gym, no matter how much the world is weighing on your shoulders, leave your load at the door. That's one of greatest benefits martial arts give us, the ability to forget about our worries for a short period of time and then come back to them after we're done with the alertness and freshness that physical activity gives you.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Meditation is a big part of my life but not my school for most people do not understand it and are unwilling to accept WESTERN MA.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We do not meditate during class, but only because of the time factor. With an hour and a half to teach, we had enough things to do. Our Grandmaster felt that meditation was something you did on your own if you wanted to do it. We have had seminars about meditation and relaxing your mind, but have not made meditation a part of class

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting points.

When I call the class together to begin, we circle-up and go to our knees for "muk nyom" ("quiet thinking"). The suggestion with this term is that one is clearing or focusing ones' thoughts for the efforts to come. There is no religious implication.

Inside of myself I perform myong sang ("quiet reflection"). The implication here is one one greater spiritual preparation. This is completely consistent with my Buddhist background but not something that I would feel comfortable invoking for the class in general teaching as I do at a college campus. Even in a foreign language it is unseemly to call people to participate in an activity with religious implications as opposed to a strictly intellectual activity. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Akashiro Tamaya said:
Just curious Tiger Woman,why do you define your school as a traditional Martial Arts (which is an asian art) Then teaches Christian Philosophy ? (That has nothing to do with asian philosophy). ??

Without the meditation and ki, its about as traditional as any other TKD school in America. Occasional bible "talk" but doesn't "teach Christian philosophy". We do teach integrity, respect, self-control, etc. I think that is in line with traditional. TW

OP
J

Jim Tindell

We did meditation during one of our classes a long, long time ago. It was interesting.

Bushi40

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi.
The instructor must be from the new school as an instructor. a lost art in bowing. especially the tridationl deep bow which is an art inself.

There is also something else that you mention. Some religions think bowing is bowing to another God, where this is false, it has nothing to do with that, the bow is a martial arts way of showing respect towards the art and others whom you my be in contact with during your lesson. and a few more things also.

Grand master Gene Perceval
[email protected]

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Meditation in TDK?

Nope. I've never had to meditate to use a cassette tape, or a VCR.

Red Menace

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It is interesting that for many meditation is seen as being attached to an Asian religion. I'm sure for many it is, but I certainly don't view it as a religious practice. In our classes, we do a very brief mediation after warm-ups/stretches. The focus is on breathing deeply and clearing your mind before the main part of the class begins. There have been many scientific studies showing the benefits of meditation and I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it or looked into it.