Curious About BJJ

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm thinking of taking up BJJ in a few years to improve my groundfighting as a martial artist. I've had predominantly a striker's background, aside from a few military defensive tactics courses (I learned that at the Navy's Visit Board Search and Seizure/Non-Compliant Boarding school) and am considering doing some MMA fighting in the future (about seven or eight or so years from now, so I've got some time and mainly local competitions) and I've heard a lot about BJJ as a great addition for groundwork (my admitted weak area).

Here's some of my background info:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62330

I plan to start utilizing Muay Thai for striking in the next couple years and train extensively in that for my main striking art. I know of a school in the area I want to settle that has both BJJ/Muay Thai offered. Any advice regarding schools that offer multiple disciplines?

Regards,

Lone Rider

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Lone Rider you will definately enjoy BJJ it is simply a blast.
It also gives you excellent body movement when you are on the
ground. Good luck!
icon6.gif

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
BJJ is definitely a good style to learn groundwork. Necessity for MMA competition, too. Most MMA schools use the MT/BJJ base, with boxing and wrestling thrown in, too.

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Out of curiousity, what is the difference between Brazilian Jiu Jitsu based on the Japanese variant (I know that the more sport-like Judo and the ancient Samurai art of Jiu Jitsu are two different styles)?

I'm working on perfecting my striking game first for the next three years before I go start developing my ground game. As stated I've got about seven or eight years before I'm even considering trying to do MMA so I've got some time.

In the meantime I'm working heavily on my conditioning too. I'd always been on the athletic side, so I'm working on making sure that my anerobic conditioning, strength endurance, and maximal strength are up to par. Any advice?

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Out of curiousity, what is the difference between Brazilian Jiu Jitsu based on the Japanese variant (I know that the more sport-like Judo and the ancient Samurai art of Jiu Jitsu are two different styles)?
Japanese Jujitsu is basicly saying Japanese Style of unarmed combat... there are lots of different schools. In general, though, they are mostly stand up and include standing joint locks, chokes, striking, throws, and sweeps. Depending on the school they may spend some time on the ground, or they may not.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is all grappling, mostly on the ground (but, depending on the instructor you will get more or less instruction in takedowns). It includes joint locks and choking, again, mostly on the ground.

Judo is mostly standing grappling, but also includes a good portion of ground work too, far more than most Japanese Jujitsu schools (BJJ is originally from Judo). Judo focus's mostly on the grappling (technically there is striking, but few Judo schools I've seen practice it) and concentrates on throws, and sweeps from standing, and pinning, chokes, and armlocks on the ground. The majority of the time at most schools will be spent on the throws and sweeps, but again, it depends on the instructor.

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Does anyone have advice to BJJ schools that offer Muay Thai under the same roof? I'd always been told to be wary of schools that do that, but with this latest MMA craze, I'm starting to see that as a common trend. Some have said that BJJ is the new 'McDojo', but I reserve such judgements for actually seeing and experiencing a lesson at a given school. Any thoughts?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen it done well and I've often seen one or the other as a poorly-done add-on. Be wary!

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've seen it done well and I've often seen one or the other as a poorly-done add-on. Be wary!

What are signs of one being a poorly-done add on versus a well done and seamless integration of the two schools?

Personally I think a school of a single discipline would be best as I want to focus on striking (3.5 years) first and then go on to ground fighting (BJJ, for 3.5 years) before I try to fight in either Pankration/MMA on an amateur basis. I'm curious about whether this sounds like a logical, sane plan.

Reaction score
I see that a few people that replied are involved in FMA as well. How do you feel BJJ compliments your FMA training? Do you feel that your FMA training has made for an easier time learning BJJ (or vice versa if you started in the other 1st)?

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Having only had about four BJJ classes, I may not be the one to answer here. But for me it translates extremely well. In Modern Arnis, at least in our system, we do a lot of Tapi-tapi or counter for couter. Think of it as a chessmatch and being three or four moves ahaed of your opponent. This is what BJJ does as well. It's more about out thinking your oppenent than overpowering them.

Brian Jones

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score

How does one distinguish from a school that does both Muay Thai and BJJ well to one that has the other art as a poorly done add on? That's my question.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as background of the school goes, I'd research it by going to the local fights. See which teams there are, where they're from, what skills they show etc etc. If there's a particular one you find drawn to, seek it out.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You have to check them out. It takes experience. Take along a mroe seasoned martial artists friend?

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Arnisador. I really appreciate the input. My current MA school (I practice Wing Chun right now) I found by previous and honest communication with the Sifu of the school, telling him my goals (good, practical training (the non-McDojo approach), no-BS training, and a desire to re-immerse myself in Martial arts after a two year absence (I practiced Western Boxing at the 132 and 145 weight classes at university (I gained fifteen pounds by weight lifting and eating heavier my last six months of my Freshman year, off season)).

I also talked to my father, also very knowledgable on MA schools (he studied under Mas Oyama's line of Kyokushin Kai karate for almost seventeen years), and he told me what to seek in a good school. He said those complimentary lessons a lot of schools offer are a good way to assess a school's quality. (My grandfather was an Escrimador

Dave Leverich, where would I find these local fights, should I google search MMA fights in my local area?

SeanKerby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jax BJJ offers Gracie Barra BJJ AND Muay Thai. Larry Shealy is the instructor. www.jaxbjj.com The first one was free, the next time I gotta look something up for a squid it'll cost ya...

Latest Discussions