BJJ instructors

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I've been thinking for some time about going and training at a local club that offers BJJ, but several things give me pause...

1. The instructor is a white belt, very close to testing for blue. While it is true that he may have spent a few years a white belt before getting to blue, this seems like a pretty tenuous ranks to qualify oneself to teach at. I've noticed that a lot of BJJ schools are like this however. People with blue or purple belts are instructing the lot and these same individuals actually own the studios.

2. The blackbelt instructor who is backing the local club is Greg Nelson, who was my TSD teachers grappling instructor for many years. This is a very good thing because I know that both my TSD teacher and Mr. Nelson are very good, however, I have to wonder if the $70 per month dojo fee is going to be worth it. How much am I going to learn with 4 years of judo experience, 3 years of JJJ experience, and grappling instruction by my TSD teacher?

My fear is that I'll walk in with a beginners mind and be as open as possible for new things and I'll still be asked to teach. I don't want to pay for that???

Thoughts?????

upnorthkyosa

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try a few workouts with the school. If you find it to be your cup of tea, have a frank discussion with the instructor to learn and clarify the expectations of each side...then decide. :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A blue or purple belt teaching BJJ is common. A white belt...not so much.

I do think you can learn a lot from BJJ even with your background, so $70/month is not a bad deal. I had judo and wrestling experience too...I think you'll be surprised.

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It seems to me that $70 a month is pretty steep for BJJ instruction by a white belt. It might be worth it if there are a lot of good sparring partners training there, but if the main instructor is white I doubt the overall level at the school.

I would suspect that with your background your really not going to learn much new (though perhaps learn how BJJers see grappling situations). However you may benifit from the amount of mat work sparring they will do.

My suggestion is try it out and see what you think, but in my experience are good Judo Black Belt has as better mat work than a BJJ white belt.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Upnorth all I can ech is the same as some of the others, give it a try and see if it is what you would like and go from there.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been taking lesson from Allan Manganello here is some info on him.

In 1994, Allan began studying Gracie Jiu-Jitsu with Relson and Royce Gracie and became the first person to introduce Gracie (Brazilian) Jiu-Jitsu to Louisville. Relson and Royce told Allan about their brother Rickson whom Allan met and became good friends with, earning his Blue Belt from Rickson Gracie in 1996. That same year, Jean Louis Arseneau moved back home to Massachusetts and Allan bought Shaolin Kempo Studios of Self Defense, renaming it Shaolin Kempo Jiu-Jitsu Academy.

In 1997, Allan met Pedro Sauer through Rickson Gracie and began training with him as well as continuing his training with Rickson in California and Jean Louis in Massachusetts. In 2000, Rickson awarded Allan his Purple Belt and invited him to be part of his entourage for his fight in Tokyo, Japan in Coliseum 2000.

In 2000, Allan started training David Akers, the would-be kicker for the Philadelphia Eagles, helping him reach 3 Pro Bowls as well as Super Bowl XXXIX. They have done several films, documentaries, and training camps together and continue their friendship and training to this day.

In 2001, Allan joined the Louisville Police Department where he has shared his extensive knowledge with both the training academy as well as the community. He is currently a patrol officer in Old and South Louisville and speaking fluent Spanish, he works closely with the Hispanic community as well.

Shaolin Kempo Jiu-Jitsu Academy was renamed Louisville Martial Arts Academy in 2003 in an effort to reflect the quality instruction of a variety of styles being offered to the community.

On November 4, 2006, Allan was promoted to Black Belt in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu by Pedro Sauer. Louisville Martial Arts Academy is very proud of Allan's accomplishments in Jiu-Jitsu. He is the first Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt in the Louisville area. Allan has competed in numerous karate tournaments, regional, national, and international Jiu-Jitsu tournaments, as well as no-holds-barred competition.

I have been doing this from 2002 to now 2007. I have all my Blue belt info and higher. My shoulder has stoppen me from taking my blue belt test. But I teach this class once a week to a group of students. (10) I am a white belt in BJJ or GJJ pick one. My guys are almost ready to test for there Blue belt under Allan M. So I feel you can learn from a white belt In BJJ if he has put in his time and trainings under a true Black belt in that art. I charge $50.00 for this class. Allan comes up about 4 times a year and trains my guys also threw seminars and is coming up again in October to take a strong look at my guys for a maybe blue belt test next summer. I could not be happer.

MY 2 cents.
Kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well,
Things went well with the GJJ seminar. 1 of my students got 1 stripe on there white belt. 6 others got 2 stripes on there belts. I recieved my 3rd stripe. and hopfully things will look good for a blue belt test maybe this summer.

Kosho

cohenp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok well I have had limited time with BJJ but my instructor was a purple belt. He knew allot more than me so I didn't have a problem learning allot of new stuff even with a wrestling background. I never had the time to, but lot's of guys from my gym would go do seminars, with my instructor's instructor, Jeff Wily. So you train with people who are all white or blue belts. Maybe roll with graham some who's a purple belt. Then once a month or more you go roll with some really good guys wherever, purple belts and a couple of black belts and the whole deal I think.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Along with what others have said. Very common for a blue or purple to be teaching, but a white belt seems odd. In fact, the Royce Gracie Network only requires one to be a blue belt to run a school. Blue belt takes between 6 months to 5 years. (6 months being for those who have a dan rank in Judo, and are quite skilled to boot.) Purple of course is another 3 to 5 years after that. So you can have someone that is a purple belt with ten years of training.

But I also know white belts that are sandbaggers and should be mid blues by now. They either stopped going to class or stopped paying. But regardless their ability is still there.

Don't look at the belt so much as the training. You could learn a great deal from a white belt. But it all depends what you want to gain in BJJ. If you are looking for rank you may want to look elsewhere. If you want to learn some basics then a white belt could be a great start to see if you even like the training.

Latest Discussions