Court Refuses To Stop Execution

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33795687/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

RICHMOND, Va. - The U.S. Supreme Court has refused to block Tuesday's scheduled execution of sniper mastermind John Allen Muhammad.
The Court did not comment Monday on why it refused to consider his appeal.
Muhammad is scheduled to die by injection at a Virginia prison for the slaying of Dean Harold Meyers at a gas station during a three-week spree in 2002 across Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C

The only problem I see with this, is why the hell did it take all this time, 7 yrs. to be exact, before they decided to do something with this guy?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Same as they do with all others on Death Row... Bundy sat for years even though he was undeniably guilty and same with Dahmler before he was killed in prison... IMO they shouldn't take more than 6 months between sentencing and execution. This should motivate attorney's to find that ONE piece of indisputable evidence which would clear their client, DNA or whatever it may be.
Yes true that many have been found NOT guilty because of DNA evidence which cleared them of crimes they've been convicted of years ago... but now-a-days it shouldn't take THAT long anymore.
Of course there is probably a HUGE back log of cases which need to be throughly investigated and I think that's fine... for cases which convicted on circumstantial evidence or miniscule evidence but when it's clear cut and dried and indisputable (i.e. Bundy, Dahmler, etc) then six months is the maxium time they should wait.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only problem I see with this, is why the hell did it take all this time, 7 yrs. to be exact, before they decided to do something with this guy?
Because, due process includes 9876976 appeals.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I strongly doubt Governor Kaine (D-VA) will grant him clemency, since the Democratic Party has already suffered enough of a beating in that state.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are a couple of reasons for the delay...

An additional trial in MD. Other cases that the two are strongly implicated in. And the due process requirements. Seven years is pretty typical for a case to go from conviction to implementation of the death penalty.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I find it difficult to understand why, if the guilt is undeniable, and the sentence a just one, why a wait.

Oh, right, don't want to use 'cruel and unusual' means. But note the constitution says ‘cruel AND unusual’. That ‘and’ means something. It's not and/or.

Now hanging maybe cruel (or not) but it sure isn't unusual.

Me thinks the seven year wait is just a way to make sure those cases that are iffy have a mechanism to doublecheck.

Still, this guy isn't one of the iffy ones. May he RIH.

Deaf

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had a buddy that had a Fry Bundy T shirt in High School.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Same as they do with all others on Death Row... Bundy sat for years even though he was undeniably guilty and same with Dahmler before he was killed in prison... IMO they shouldn't take more than 6 months between sentencing and execution. This should motivate attorney's to find that ONE piece of indisputable evidence which would clear their client, DNA or whatever it may be.
Yes true that many have been found NOT guilty because of DNA evidence which cleared them of crimes they've been convicted of years ago... but now-a-days it shouldn't take THAT long anymore.
Of course there is probably a HUGE back log of cases which need to be throughly investigated and I think that's fine... for cases which convicted on circumstantial evidence or miniscule evidence but when it's clear cut and dried and indisputable (i.e. Bundy, Dahmler, etc) then six months is the maxium time they should wait.

Agreed. However, we already have people who're anti death penalth. Imagine the 'outcry' from the bleeding hearts club, if we actually put to death, a guy who really wasnt guilty? I mean, all kidding aside, that would suck. But, this, IMO, just goes to show that the system is flawed and sucks. If the people cant get their **** together, and not take 20yrs before they realize the guy isnt guilty....

But yes, if the person is guilty, with no doubt, then give a set timeframe for an appeal and a limit on the number of appeals. If it dont happen by the set time, then, pull the switch, inject the needle, whatever.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are a couple of reasons for the delay...

An additional trial in MD. Other cases that the two are strongly implicated in. And the due process requirements. Seven years is pretty typical for a case to go from conviction to implementation of the death penalty.

But if they found this guy guilty earlier, which I believe they did, then the process should be a no brainer IMO. 7yrs, this bag o' ****, appeals and appeals, making all of the victims families go thru this misery.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There really ought to be a Three Strikes rule for appeals.
Strike one: You stand convicted of a crime
Strike two: Your appeal, filed no later than one year from the date of your conviction is denied
Strike three: Your appeal, to the USSC is denied or not heard.

Latest Discussions