Conditioning in BJJ

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have done both extensively and in my personal opinion, grappling provides significantly more strength and conditioning than any striking art out there. While striking is a great workout, you are only fighting against the weight of your body and the impact of your striking against other objects. When grappling you are fighting against a physically resisting opponent for every second that you are rolling. Grappling is so difficult in fact that much of it consists of trying to find ways NOT to use strength. Any white belt can (and does) go into a sparring match at 110% strength to try to overcome the lack of technique. This lasts a few minutes before they are absolutely exhausted and unable to move. I'm convinced you can take an Olympic athlete in any "normal" sport and after 5 minutes of grappling they will throw up. I have never found a better workout!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

It is the sparring. You generally tend to grapple at full noise. So it is harder. You generally dont strike at full noise so it is easier.

If you boxed and threw bombs at each other you would get pretty tuckered out.

wayfaring

Green Belt
Reaction score
Would BJJ offer me an amount of physycal excercise and conditioning simmilar or greater than a stryking art? and if i start a strykign art after i train in bjj would the strenghning gaine in bjj classes help much?

Another large gentleman trying to strangle you in pajamas offers a remarkably quick path to an elevated heart rate and fight or flight mode response. This is really good for strength and conditioning. And it is fun, can get you hooked like a chess game. Plus the tapout prevents getting banged up a great deal which is nice for business professionals.

I personally like both. From a fitness perspective, from my view each offers contrasting training between a more static or range based pull and push to a more explosive fast twitch movement. Since the movement involves somewhat different muscles you get a good perioditization factor that is great for growth like seperating different muscle groups on different workout days.

the42cop

White Belt
Reaction score
It is the sparring. You generally tend to grapple at full noise. So it is harder. You generally dont strike at full noise so it is easier.

Not to mention it wouldn't be long before you spent a lot of time drooling and forgetting where you are! Hmmm... Come to think about it, maybe I should just start getting punched, because I do that now! Damn graveyard shift!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
In VERY general terms, by grappling you will develop more muscular endurance but not quite as much cardiovascular endurance compared to an intense striking curriculum. Don't take that as black and white though, there is a ton of individual variability.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score

True. But, generally during the average workout you're not throwing bombs, your working and training so it doesn't end up as effort-full... of course that's my opinion and I'm positive opinions vary. BJJ class was overall the most intense conditioning workout I've ever been in, except for the Muay Thai. That stuff was just... craziness. But, it's a close thing.

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
I find out the being a very new newbie in BJJ my mistake is using my strength to overcome the enemy!! Is there something I am missing? Thank you!!!

Latest Discussions