Concept

JitsuAddict

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, i am new to this site. i will start off this thread saying that this is not a question for a newbie. this is a fairly difficult question for those of you who understand. my black belt grading is coming up and i have been asked to research a couple of concepts of my art. not a stap by step explanation of a technique but the concept of shiho. from what i understand so far shiho is constant off balance followed by a quick distruption of kuzushi resulting in uke's safety. like i said i have not been able to find much on the subject and sadly i cannot sufficently articulate my idea of the concept of shiho.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well... being in another art with a different set of terminology, I can't really answer your question - although I do understand having to write a testing thesis (been there, done that!), and I wish you luck!

Welcome to MT!

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
JitsuAddict said:
Hi, i am new to this site. i will start off this thread saying that this is not a question for a newbie. this is a fairly difficult question for those of you who understand. my black belt grading is coming up and i have been asked to research a couple of concepts of my art. not a stap by step explanation of a technique but the concept of shiho. from what i understand so far shiho is constant off balance followed by a quick distruption of kuzushi resulting in uke's safety. like i said i have not been able to find much on the subject and sadly i cannot sufficently articulate my idea of the concept of shiho.

This may be a question better asked in one of the Aikido sections of MT.

I do not study Aikido or Aiki as a primary art. I have dabbled in the art at bit after writing my black belt thesis paper. I had written my paper on twenty other styles to open my mind to other views on self-defense and self-descipline.

In my research, I found the principles of shiho to represent all four sides of an attack (or for deeper meaning - life). Like the yin and yang, it is a balance of one's movements in any of the basic four directions. Your techniques are performed in one of two stepping directions, steping up or steppng back as energy is directed toward you. I use the word 'enegry' and not attack beacuse this principle also applies to life. We always have the option to step up and confront a situation or step back to avoid or redirect the same situation.

I have taken this concept and applied it to my own training. Many of my techniques can be executed moving forward or backwards. In most cases there is a much different result and the completion of the technique may vary.

Once again, I do not take Aikido instruction but figured I would give you one person's opinion. Keep in mind, your Sensei may want your own interprutation of the concept. As long as you have reasons and beliefs for your words, you will be fine with your words.

Good Luck!

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that shi is four, it also, to my knowledge, is used to mean many or several.

Jeff

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
One thing to keep in mind is that shi is four, it also, to my knowledge, is used to mean many or several.

"Shi" also means "death". And is one of the reasons Japanese say Yodan instead of Shidan.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Look up the word "concept" in the dictionary, for a start. You will find it means: idea or theory.

Hope this will help in getting you started for you Black belt testing.

You can teach someone the "concept" of blocking...lift the arm like this?..they ask why? hit them..."conception" is better!

OP
JitsuAddict

JitsuAddict

White Belt
Reaction score
thank you all for your help, i will think a more on the concept using what was said .. thanks again

-Eric

kamishinkan

Green Belt
Reaction score
We teach Shihonage in our "style" of Aiki as well. We teach it as 4 directional throw from an attack. Being able to disrupt a persons balance (kuzushi) in all four "major" directions. We also show the basic sword "draw" motion that better explains the movement. Wish you well on your test! :asian:

Latest Discussions