Comparing kid ranks to adult ranks

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For a 12 year old to match a fully grown man, especially one with years of martial arts experience, the kid would need remarkable technique - and no, a grey belt should not lead you to expect that level of expertise. It typically takes a kid about 6 months to reach their grey belt. That's about how long it takes an adult white belt to earn their first stripe on average.
Expect that they might have the skills of a white belt with a stripe or two or three, but that they are still kids.
This was a gray+black, which I think is going to be closer to a couple years than a couple of months. One rule of thumb I saw online was that each kid belt is roughly equal to one adult stripe. I'm not sure how widespread that opinion is. Nor am I sure if that means "Gray = 1 stripe, yellow = 2 stripe" or if it means "gray + white = 1 stripe, gray = 2 stripe, gray + black = 3 stripe, yellow + white = 4 stripe..."
Aim for pretty much no intensity at all. You're an adult rolling with a child and it's a learning experience not a tournament. Just relax and try to move as technically as you can and use as little of your size and strength and athleticism as you can. If you happen to end up in a match with a wunderkind who has the skills to give you problems despite your size advantage, then take them as an inspiration. Imitate the way they move through positions rather than increasing the intensity in order to "win" the match.
I'm not trying to win the match, I'm trying to match the level, at least as best I can. I'm aiming to provide the right amount of intensity that, at my skill level, it can be a 50/50 game. Against the other white belts around my size that means going 100%. Against the white belts that are much older (such as one guy in his 60s) or some unathletic folks we have, that means giving less. Against the guys that are way bigger or better than me, it means giving 100% and hoping that they scale back so it's fair.

I also do try and match the temperament of my opponents when they are better than me. When my professor or one of the purple belts is flow rolling with me, I'm not trying to beat them. I'm trying to make the right decisions. When they give me the time to work incrementally on advancing or recovering position, I try to do that.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It wasn't clear from the post .
It wasn't clear from the post? Since when are 12-13 year olds in the Marines? Since when are kids in the Marines? This is also in the BJJ subforum, so it should have been clear from its placement that we're talking about BJJ.
I guess you made some assumptions and now are going around and disagreeing with all my posts.
Are you harassing me?
I made no assumptions. I responded to what was in your post. You linked to the Marines belt system, which made it clear you were talking about the Marines.

My issue with the other person that you're backing up is that when he is losing an argument, he will stop arguing and just start marking every post as "Laugh". I did not do that to you. I marked your post as disagree, and I stated why I did. I presented the facts of the situation (we are talking about kids vs. adult belts in BJJ) instead of attacking you personally. I also only marked one of your posts as disagree. Then I put you on ignore so I wouldn't see any more.

On top of that, if you don't like me, then do what I suggested in the other thread. Put me on ignore. Like I have done to you, and will do my best to follow going forward. My issue with the other person in the other thread is that I cannot put him on ignore, so he is free to harass me and others.

This entire post is a poor attempt at gaslighting me. I will not be responding to you in this thread again.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
oh dear ..i thought this was a friendly forum :D
It really isn't. Luckily, when people are being toxic, you can put them on ignore so you don't have to see it.

If you think I'm toxic based on my reactions in this thread, you can put me on ignore. If you think the other users are being toxic towards me, you can put them on ignore. If you think this is just toxic all around, then put all of us in this thread on ignore. Or decide that none of what was said here is worth putting on ignore, and you still want to have conversations with us.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One rule of thumb I saw online was that each kid belt is roughly equal to one adult stripe. I'm not sure how widespread that opinion is. Nor am I sure if that means "Gray = 1 stripe, yellow = 2 stripe" or if it means "gray + white = 1 stripe, gray = 2 stripe, gray + black = 3 stripe, yellow + white = 4 stripe..."
Belt rank doesn't matter. You just match the intensity and you work your techniques. You should work the techniques you have difficulty with. Allow yourself to be put in situations that you have to counter, prevent, or escape. The videos below are why you shouldn't be trying to match your skill level to someone's belt color

Here's an example

I would love to be in your class and be like. Yeah I suck at fighting on the ground, white belt, kung fu student. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would make assumptions about that. Same as people make assumptions that I'm an over weight 208 lb martial artist that walks and sometimes wobbles like an old man. I would take BJJ classes just to see the shock in some people's faces.

Remember just work your techniques. /when you are better than someone then work on the techniques you aren't good at. It's a good opportunity to improve on things that you complained about not being able to do to the bodybuilder white belt.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You put too much focus on the color of a belt.

Belt rank doesn't matter.

Forget about the belt. Forget about the color. Forget about the rank. Its not about being able to "pull rank" on someone. Its about improving your art and your abilities.

What matters is that you are identifying areas that you need to improve, and that you are working on those. By areas to work on.... these are the little things again: structure, position, grip, balance, connection.... all those little things from all the other threads you started.

There is a theme to the answers you are getting from all these threads you are starting... Quit caring about rank or belt color... Quit caring about size or strength.... Start looking at the little details, and find ways to improve those little details. Quit worrying about who taps who... Start worrying about improving all those little details and identifying more details to improve.

It does not matter if you are the big strong guy or rolling with the big strong guy. Also, don't worry about getting the whole technique right... get all the little pieces right. I know this seems like a slow way to do it... but those pieces you are focusing on, get used over and over and over again. While the first handful of full techniques can take a long time to get... once you get the pieces, those full techniques come easier and easier.... further, new techniques will become easier to learn, as you already know the pieces... you may even come up with your own new techniques while rolling because you are good at the little details.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would love to be in your class and be like. Yeah I suck at fighting on the ground, white belt, kung fu student. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would make assumptions about that.
It's not fair to call it an assumption if people take you at your word.
Belt rank doesn't matter.
It's not the only thing that matters, but it does usually give you a clue pretty quick about someone's relative experience. In my experience in my gym, the black belt is better than the purple belts, who are better than the blue belts, who are better than the white belts.

This is based on my experiences rolling with them, watching them roll with each other, and overhearing the discussions after they roll. Some of the bigger white belts may give some of the upper belts trouble, but the difference in skill is very clear.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not the only thing that matters, but it does usually give you a clue pretty quick about someone's relative experience.
When a Judo player starts BJJ, where does he start? White belt. Where does the Sambo player start BJJ? White belt. Where does the MMA guy start BJJ? White belt. Where does the state wrestling champ start BJJ? White belt. Where does the Danzan Ryu guy start BJJ? White belt. Where does the TKD Black Belt start BJJ? White belt.

It doesn't really tell you that much.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When a Judo player starts BJJ, where does he start? White belt. Where does the Sambo player start BJJ? White belt. Where does the MMA guy start BJJ? White belt. Where does the state wrestling champ start BJJ? White belt. Where does the Danzan Ryu guy start BJJ? White belt. Where does the TKD Black Belt start BJJ? White belt.

It doesn't really tell you that much.
We have wrestlers. They have advantages over the other white belts. But they're unfamiliar in the specific positions of BJJ enough that the higher belts generally have control over them.

I'm a black belt in Taekwondo and Hapkido, and have three years of wrestling (a long time ago). I'm unfamiliar in the positions and techniques of BJJ. I'm a white belt, and I feel like a white belt.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No need to give my word when people are willing to make assumptions about my skill and ability just by looking at my belt color.

It's not the only thing that matters, but it does usually give you a clue pretty quick about someone's relative experience. In my experience in my gym, the black belt is better than the purple belts, who are better than the blue belts, who are better than the white belts.
You will probably grow out of this assumption the more you spar. Just like you can't figure out how your fellow white belt classmate seems to be out working you even though both of you are white belts. Eventually you will see how that assumption will set you up mentally for defeat. For example, if I put on a good game and say that I'm a black belt in BJJ. You would already assume that I can beat you just because I said I'm a black belt.

I don't know how BJJ is, but I be there are some bjj schools out there with black belts who can't fight.

This is based on my experiences rolling with them, watching them roll with each other, and overhearing the discussions after they roll. Some of the bigger white belts may give some of the upper belts trouble, but the difference in skill is very clear.
My guess is that you will soon learn not to base skill level on belt color. It could be why you under estimated your bodybuilder sparring partner.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It wasn't clear from the post? Since when are 12-13 year olds in the Marines? Since when are kids in the Marines? This is also in the BJJ subforum, so it should have been clear from its placement that we're talking about BJJ.

I have seen people teach the Military Fighting systems before and I was curious.
I know Skribs will not see this.
Just explaining why I linked it as Gray Belt is an unusual belt color .

I made no assumptions. I responded to what was in your post. You linked to the Marines belt system, which made it clear you were talking about the Marines.

My issue with the other person that you're backing up is that when he is losing an argument, he will stop arguing and just start marking every post as "Laugh". I did not do that to you. I marked your post as disagree, and I stated why I did. I presented the facts of the situation (we are talking about kids vs. adult belts in BJJ) instead of attacking you personally. I also only marked one of your posts as disagree. Then I put you on ignore so I wouldn't see any more.

On top of that, if you don't like me, then do what I suggested in the other thread. Put me on ignore. Like I have done to you, and will do my best to follow going forward. My issue with the other person in the other thread is that I cannot put him on ignore, so he is free to harass me and others.

This entire post is a poor attempt at gaslighting me. I will not be responding to you in this thread again.

One can as one wishes within the rules.
I just had hoped that maybe seeing your own actions reflected back at you that you also complained about, might get you to think, that one might be better off opening their mind to change and understanding.
That things can be adaptive and that while 1+1 = 2 as we learn that real young, very few of those children go on to learn more than the number line proof in Math for why is it true.

Sometimes one learns something by rote, and then later understands why, and from there move onto the Calculus and Non Euclidean Geometry (* The positions most Grapplers try to put me into BTW, :) *) of mathematics .
The same can happen in Martial arts and also in any endeavor of learning.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just had hoped that maybe seeing your own actions reflected back at you
Yes, it was my own actions. However, it was a completely different context. The context of my actions was someone going over every post I made and marking them as "funny" to show that he doesn't take me serious. The context of your actions was someone posting context to clarify the situation we're talking about.

To put it into martial arts terms, it is the difference between punching someone because you don't like what shirt they're wearing, and punching someone because you're in a boxing match. Would you charge both people with assault, or just the one?

You wanted me to learn a lesson about calling people out for harassment. It doesn't really make sense if I'm not harassing you, and I am being harassed by the other guy. All that I get from that is that you support his harassment of me, which means you are complicit in the toxicity of this place. The fact that you followed me into another thread to continue an argument you weren't even part of helps seal that deal.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, it was my own actions. However, it was a completely different context. The context of my actions was someone going over every post I made and marking them as "funny" to show that he doesn't take me serious. The context of your actions was someone posting context to clarify the situation we're talking about.

To put it into martial arts terms, it is the difference between punching someone because you don't like what shirt they're wearing, and punching someone because you're in a boxing match. Would you charge both people with assault, or just the one?

You wanted me to learn a lesson about calling people out for harassment. It doesn't really make sense if I'm not harassing you, and I am being harassed by the other guy. All that I get from that is that you support his harassment of me, which means you are complicit in the toxicity of this place. The fact that you followed me into another thread to continue an argument you weren't even part of helps seal that deal.
I thought you ignored me
And would not be responding top me anymore

Do you have to have the last work.
If so then quote and post last word and it will be done for this thread.

That being said
You have your point
I have my point.
I really don't think you want to learn or listen to the advice many on this site has offered to you.
You have a way of looking at your training and everything else is not just right.
I get it.

have a nice day

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did skribs get tapped out by that 12yr old yet?
On the one hand, I haven't been in the same class with her again yet. On the other, it's not about who taps who, it's about finding the right balance where we're both getting some work in.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know how BJJ is, but I be there are some bjj schools out there with black belts who can't fight.
I'd take that bet in a heartbeat.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd take that bet in a heartbeat.
First, one must define what "can't fight" means. Because "can't fight" can mean anything from:
  • If presented with an angry teenager, would probably hurt themselves more than the teenager would hurt them
  • -to-
  • Capable of winning a fight in the UFC. (Or even something stricter than that).
Depending on what you define as "can't fight", I'm sure at some point you'll find a line where some black belts don't stack up to it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First, one must define what "can't fight" means. Because "can't fight" can mean anything from:
  • If presented with an angry teenager, would probably hurt themselves more than the teenager would hurt them
  • -to-
  • Capable of winning a fight in the UFC. (Or even something stricter than that).
Depending on what you define as "can't fight", I'm sure at some point you'll find a line where some black belts don't stack up to it.
No, buddy, there's really no confusion, especially in the Martial world, about what "can't fight" means.

In fact, that might be the ONLY term in Martial Arts, or the fight game, where there is absolutely no confusion about definition.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions