Common misconception of Sword-fighting.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good Point - maybe for clarity - it is not that I would have expected Billy Shakespeare & his boys to engage in full speed swordplay on the stage.

The audience critique would probably been focused on the actors' sword postures and distancing. As a modern day analog - just think how people trained & skilled in firearms cringe at some of the crap shown in films and on TV. Especially back in the Gunsmoke & Horesh!t days - or classic Police Drama shows.

Those actors couldn't even hold a revolver properly if their life depended on it - never mind hitting the target.
Most of the experienced hunters & shooters that I know who watched Gunsmoke, Cimeron Strip, etc. didn't worry too much about the lack of actual firearms handling knowledge in those Westerns. They just kinda ignored it really. Heck, there were also some few notables who started off knowing how to shoot and went into the Film industry where, by all available evidence I can see in their movies, "forgot" how to handle a firearm (Audie Murphy anyone?). Stage Combat, firearms or otherwise, is intended to be entertaining, not combat and these folks knew that. It seems to be a modern turn that our sensibilities are offended at "unrealistic" fight scenes in our media entertainment. I'll leave speculation on the causation aside for now.

My suspicion is that Renaissance gentlemen were similarly minded. But, again, I have no evidence one way or another.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A real fight, be it weaponless, sword or firearms, tend to be over in a matter of seconds. A fight scene that short, makes for bad entertainment.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A real fight, be it weaponless, sword or firearms, tend to be over in a matter of seconds. A fight scene that short, makes for bad entertainment.
Oh I dunno, the first 36 seconds of this clip was entertaining enough. Indigo took care of 4 guards quickly and effectively. I thought it was pretty cool. But yeah usually hollywood sword fights can last at least a minute or more on screen.

[yt]AzrDSHcvX8w[/yt]

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Further arguments that short fights can be entertaining....

Now this is a great study into tension....

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions