Comments

B

buddhadragon

Just moved to St. Louis. Ive been a student of TSD. It's not available here. I started training late in life, Im 52. Im considering this school. Any comments pro or con would be very much appreciated..thanks.

http://www.wuhsingchuan.com/index.htm

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dunno... I've never heard of them. But that doesn't mean too much really.

Go check it out. The worst that can happen is you don't like it or get into it & discover it's not what it says it is. The best is you like it & keep going.

I'd be interested in a little more background & history on the school & lineage, but that's just me. I'm a nerd when it comes to that stuff.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Make sure to ask the teacher the important questions, which can be found in a thread somewhere, I think the Beginners Corner on the main page. Also take a look at the senior students in the class, often times they will be the ones teaching or assisting the instructor, so you may have more contact with them. Not to mention, as senior students, do they know what they're doing? The two senior students I saw when I first went to my Sifu's school scared the hell out of me, but in a good way. Obviously, there are many factors to consider. Good luck, and let us know if you decide on anything.

A---)

OP
B

buddhadragon

I had a wonderful meetup with the Sifu and students of the school I linked in the begining of this thread. I observed class and was invited to attend and participate in class for a few weeks to see if it something that I want to do. I REALLY enjoyed meeting Sifu. I may be looking forward, but I think I found a home! Ive always wanted to learn Chinese arts but have never had it available to me. Im very excited!!!!

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
buddhadragon said:
I had a wonderful meetup with the Sifu and students of the school I linked in the begining of this thread. I observed class and was invited to attend and participate in class for a few weeks to see if it something that I want to do. I REALLY enjoyed meeting Sifu. I may be looking forward, but I think I found a home! Ive always wanted to learn Chinese arts but have never had it available to me. Im very excited!!!!
That's great to hear!

I wish you all the best with your training ,and you're never too late to start ,it's what you do with the time you have that matters.

jeff:)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good luck! It's a good system, so if you've found a good instructor you're in good shape!

OP
B

buddhadragon

Woot! What a great first experiance. I felt like a young'n going to the first day of school. Everyone was great. What a workout..this is going to cause me to up my fitness level up several notches. Wu Hsing seems to be a traditional 5 animal Shaolin Gung Fu that is taught. My Sifu has a very strong history and when I the time ill go through it and post some of his former teachers. Maybe there will be a name or two that is known. One of the things I really like is the ethnic diversity of the school. That is nice to be a part of. Man my thighs are still smokin!

OP
I

InvisibleFist

Hey BuddhaDragon.

If you like the instructor and the students, and you enjoy what you're doing, then that is way more important than what the style is and where it comes from.

Congratulations on finding a new school! best of luck in the new endeavor!

dmax999

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Being a little biased myself, you should also try the Tai Chi classes (At least they said they have them on the web site). Being the age you said you were it will be difficult to excel in traditional Kung Fu, mind you not impossible but you will be working a lot harder then the whippersnappers to get the same results. Not trying to discourage you in the least, if you like a challenge it will be perfect. The Tai Chi on the otherhand you can start at a much older age and progress just as quickly or even faster then the youngsters. Plus learning to incorporate Tai Chi into Kung-Fu will also help. Tai Chi can also be practiced at very very old ages when it is impractical to do hard styles anymore.

Only saying this because I can't keep up with the younger guys at my school, but I got them beat every time when it comes to Tai Chi.

OP
B

buddhadragon

Tai Chi..Ive done a bit of that and was planing on doing it with my girlfriend. The WuHsing is tough..but Im tougher. The way I look at it Ill never be in a K-1 or UFC tourn. So my competion is with myself. And I will prevail.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, We too had to change schools and teacher because he quit. Learning a new art and starting over is not easy. But learning new ways of doing things can only make you better..............Aloha

Latest Discussions