Combining styles, need suggestions

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
So i'm studying Shotokan, and i've studied a lot of boxing and muay thai....I notice that the sparring stance in Shotokan is similar to boxing...

I was wondering for those who could give me advice, what's the best way to throw round kicks in a boxing stance, and defend against them? Or should I throw it out the window and go for a more square stance?

Any advice on blending the two styles is much appreciated!

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Or should I throw it out the window and go for a more square stance?
Look Jeet Kune Do, they kick from a sideways stance. Or you just square up for kicks...

Round kick with the rear leg is quite the same as from a more square stance. Just more easy to see and defend.
Round kick from the lead leg, the so-called 'Brazilian kick' may be a good option.
Then there are the side kicks, spinning kicks...

Leg kick defence from a sideways stance? Not easy... (See recent losses of Nate Diaz or next video.)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It might be that you should not mix them. Not all things mix well. Don't get so determined to do it that you miss any indications that you should not do it.

I don't know what the answer is, as I have not studied these methods. But if you are asking the question, it tells me you may not know any of it well enough yet to make a good decision about it.

Perhaps you aren't ready yet to be thinking about this.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
what boxing stance are you discussung. I know a heap of guys who box in a square stance. and who have no special issues throwing kicks.

(ok. I dont know kostya tszu but he is a good example)

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
Look Jeet Kune Do, they kick from a sideways stance. Or you just square up for kicks...

Round kick with the rear leg is quite the same as from a more square stance. Just more easy to see and defend.
Round kick from the lead leg, the so-called 'Brazilian kick' may be a good option.
Then there are the side kicks, spinning kicks...

Leg kick defence from a sideways stance? Not easy... (See recent losses of Nate Diaz or next video.)
I've been working on brazillian kicks for the lead round house. very deseptive....i also use the front and and side kicks like jabs, along with hook and ax kicks.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
In shotokan use a shotokan stance in boxing use a boxing stance in the street use what you like best

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am! It just happens to be a cross of Shotokan and boxing. lol
In any real fight your not even going to even thing about what you do it'll just be instinct. In times I've had to defend myself I've never used the perfect technique or combo or stance but I managed to defend myself so that's all that matters

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
In any real fight your not even going to even thing about what you do it'll just be instinct. In times I've had to defend myself I've never used the perfect technique or combo or stance but I managed to defend myself so that's all that matters
I agree with that 100% when instinct takes over, I find my "natural" stance for me, is in a linear, narrowed body stance. Similar to a boxer

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i'm studying Shotokan,

if you are grading your instructors will most likely expect you to use Shotokan stances to fulfil the standards of the grading. If however you are just sparring then use what stance suits you.

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
if you are grading your instructors will most likely expect you to use Shotokan stances to fulfil the standards of the grading. If however you are just sparring then use what stance suits you.
My stance that suits me best is ironicaly a sidewaysish stance like shotokan ironicly., with a narrower base, closer to the of a boxer

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why, and since when, did the front leg roundhouse kick come to be called a Brazilian kick? I've never heard that before, been doing the kick since 1984, and I'm sure it's been done

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why, and since when, did the front leg roundhouse kick come to be called a Brazilian kick? I've never heard that before, been doing the kick since 1984, and I'm sure it's been done

Brazilian kick? I know 'Brazilian' has been attached to all sorts of things and techniques but really the 'front' leg roundhouse has been around since the 'back' leg roundhouse.

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
The brazillian kick is a not the name for a lead leg round house, but a round house variant. it starts off with the kick raised like a front kick, and then it's turned over into a round house. its a deceptive kick, but in my stance it works easier to do that than to throw traditional round kicks

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's a kyokushin technique, popularized by Fransico Fillio . Hence the name "Brazilian Kick"

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't believe that front leg round house kick can cause any serious damage. People use it in "point sparring" to obtain score.

When you

- lift up your knee,
- point your knee toward your opponent,
- you then use your low leg muscle to kick out.

You are using "isolation force" and you are not using the "whole body force". Without "waist rotation", roundhouse kick can't generate maximum power.

Many years ago, I had this argument with a TKD instructor. I asked him to use front leg roundhouse kick to hit on my shoulder. I then use my back leg roundhouse to hit on his shoulder. He stopped argument with me after that.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a kyokushin technique, popularized by Fransico Fillio . Hence the name "Brazilian Kick"
Ok, again, that has been around since...the roundhouse kick was invented. It's just a fake into a roundhouse kick.

And this guy Fillio, I take it he is Brazilian? Is that what you are saying? In justification of the name?

So...this name for the kick is only used in certain circles, i guess.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't believe that front leg round house kick can cause any serious damage. People use it in "point sparring" to obtain score. Without "waist rotation", roundhouse kick can't generate maximum power.
It can sting, and if the timing and targeting is good, I am sure it can be damaging. But I agree in that it would lack the major power generating methodology. But it trades that for speed and deception. Everything is a compromise.

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't believe that front leg round house kick can cause any serious damage. People use it in "point sparring" to obtain score.

When you

- lift up your knee,
- point your knee toward your opponent,
- you then use your low leg muscle to kick out.

You are using "isolation force" and you are not using the "whole body force". Without "waist rotation", roundhouse kick can't generate maximum power.

Many years ago, I had this argument with a TKD instructor. I asked him to use front leg roundhouse kick to hit on my shoulder. I then use my back leg roundhouse to hit on his shoulder. He stopped argument with me after that.
You also turn your hip over like a muay thai kick to add power

Latest Discussions