Cobra Kai

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I just got done watching season one, and it was quite good. The constant hat tipping towards the original movies really tickled my nostalgia bone.

But it also got me wondering.

The show did a really good job at making karate lessons seem cool. Hell I almost went out to sign up for some "old fashioned karate" after watching it. So my question is for you karate students and instructors. Have you noticed an up turn in attendance lately?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was a good show but it didn't show martial arts in a good light in my opinion. The main characters turned from innocent good kids into bullying thugs. The main instructor was an alcoholic who was verbally abbusive to his students and was drunk while teaching.

It doesn't bother me as I know it's just a show but you can see why it'd put some people off

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was a good show but it didn't show martial arts in a good light in my opinion. The main characters turned from innocent good kids into bullying thugs. The main instructor was an alcoholic who was verbally abbusive to his students and was drunk while teaching.

It doesn't bother me as I know it's just a show but you can see why it'd put some people off
So pretty accurate then,

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The complaint I’ve heard most often is people are saying they can’t watch it with their kids. When the original was released in ‘84, I was 8 years old. I wouldn’t want my 7 year old daughter watching the new one. I’d say 13 or so, possibly older, would be an appropriate age.

Doesn’t bother me much, as I’m not one of those parents who use “what about the kids!!!” for everything.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I loved it. Had a blast watching it.

To answer the question in the original post, I have not seen any change in the number of new students at my school.

colinwee

White Belt
Reaction score
I think they did a good job with the series. Certainly it was entertaining. And nice to see them seek redemption through their training.

However, I would have loved to see a better treatment or discussion of nijukun tenets or combative tactics. Just because Daniel or Johnny stopped practicing doesn't mean that they wouldn't be reflecting on their early lessons.

The descent of Miguel however ... just a little unbelievable.

The few children who train at my school? Haven't seen it.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think they did a good job with the series. Certainly it was entertaining. And nice to see them seek redemption through their training.

However, I would have loved to see a better treatment or discussion of nijukun tenets or combative tactics. Just because Daniel or Johnny stopped practicing doesn't mean that they wouldn't be reflecting on their early lessons.

But the Niju Kun is a Shotokan thing; Gichin Funakoshi came up with it. Neither of the karate styles represented is Shotokan. Miyagi's karate is generally understood to be based on Goju-Ryu, and Cobra Kai is generally understood to be based on Tang Soo Do.

And there is quite a lot of emphasis on "school creed and what does it really mean," by going through how the Cobra Kai school's creed (STRIKE FIRST; STRIKE HARD; NO MERCY), portrayed as a villain's creed in the original trilogy, can have a more-positive meaning as well.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Wasn't unbelievable at all. Kid gets trained by a nasty person telling them it's good to start fights and to bully people. What else is going to happen

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wasn't unbelievable at all. Kid gets trained by a nasty person telling them it's good to start fights and to bully people. What else is going to happen

That's your impression of Johnny Lawrence after watching Cobra Kai? I think I watched a different show...

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's your impression of Johnny Lawrence after watching Cobra Kai? I think I watched a different show...
Yes it is. The guy bullied his students. Made fun of their disabilities, belittled them and embarrassed them, threatened them, insulted them because they weren't as physically strong and never showed any remorse for his past actions and tried to blame all his issues on someone else instead of admitting his mistakes....sounds Like a bully to me

colinwee

White Belt
Reaction score
Maybe a little more internal conflict? He opened as a character that was relatable.

Sent from my ALP-L09 using Tapatalk

colinwee

White Belt
Reaction score
But the Niju Kun is a Shotokan thing; Gichin Funakoshi came up with it. Neither of the karate styles represented is Shotokan. Miyagi's karate is generally understood to be based on Goju-Ryu, and Cobra Kai is generally understood to be based on Tang Soo Do.

And there is quite a lot of emphasis on "school creed and what does it really mean," by going through how the Cobra Kai school's creed (STRIKE FIRST; STRIKE HARD; NO MERCY), portrayed as a villain's creed in the original trilogy, can have a more-positive meaning as well.
I believe that often each dojo would have their own dojo kun. I believe Itosu had his own kun. But I guess 'sente nashi' has no place in a dojo which emblazons 'Strike First' on the wall. But there could have been opportunity for either Daniel or Lawrence to discuss their position on karate philosophy. The writers didn't dig deep enough.

colinwee

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes it is. The guy bullied his students. Made fun of their disabilities, belittled them and embarrassed them, threatened them, insulted them because they weren't as physically strong and never showed any remorse for his past actions and tried to blame all his issues on someone else instead of admitting his mistakes....sounds Like a bully to me
To me, Johnny was seeking redemption by offering the strength of his karate to his students. He was at times misguided and inappropriate, but I felt he was doing the best job he could do. In fact, I can identify with a lot of his intentions. I may not insult my students, but when we go through pressure testing or desensitisation, the end result is a practitioner that is more effective in a stressful situation than one who is untrained.

Lifetime student

White Belt
Reaction score
I liked it. It was fun and had some good dialogue and the fight scenes were pretty good for a bunch of kids with no training.

But as a dojo owner myself I hated the way he treated his students. Yeah people will say about toughening but it could also lead to these kids feeling even worse because an adults bullying them as well. Also wasn't a fan of the cobra Kai winning the tournament in the way he did. It's a bad message showing that cheating and fighting dirty are a good thing because you'll win.

Don't get me wrong I know in the streets yeah fight as dirty as you can but on the mat you act with honour and respect.

Yes I know I sound to serious but in honestly not that's just a few opinions to the overall story but hey roll on series 2....I'm just hoping John kreese gets a good fight scene....his fights in the old movies were awful

mixedup

White Belt
Reaction score
Just a couple of thoughts on this whole thing.
Loved the series, thought it had reasonable morals, johnny started to pull his life together (resilience), Daniel showed some compassion helping Robbie at the tournament, Sam (and moon, in a way) showed that kinship is more important than popularity.
And Miguel stood up to the school bullies.

Later on, Johnny is trying to make good, admonishing both Miguel and Hawk for playing dirty.

On a general note, if your coach isn't pushing you, you're not going to be your best. Which is why in the real world, very few successful athletes are coached by friends or family.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The main instructor was an alcoholic who was verbally abbusive to his students and was drunk while teaching.
The main instructor was a bully in the first movie and was Daniel's main nemesis. Its not unlikely for him to turn out to become an alcoholic and to be abusive to his students the way his sensei was.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The complaint I’ve heard most often is people are saying they can’t watch it with their kids. When the original was released in ‘84, I was 8 years old. I wouldn’t want my 7 year old daughter watching the new one. I’d say 13 or so, possibly older, would be an appropriate age.

Doesn’t bother me much, as I’m not one of those parents who use “what about the kids!!!” for everything.
I believe if the series was shown as a movie, it would be PG 13.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's your impression of Johnny Lawrence after watching Cobra Kai?
Yes. And he teaches his students that the way to deal with bullies is by being an even bigger bully yourself.

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. And he teaches his students that the way to deal with bullies is by being an even bigger bully yourself.
I think the word 'bully' is tossed around far too much these days to be honest. I don't know that all the coddling of young people that has become popular recently is a move in a good direction.

We are creating a whole generation of pansies.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the word 'bully' is tossed around far too much these days to be honest. I don't know that all the coddling of young people that has become popular recently is a move in a good direction.

We are creating a whole generation of pansies.
The kid punched his girlfriend yes by accident but because he was starting a fight for no reason you call that a good thing?

Latest Discussions