Closing Any Lockback with One Hand

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This came up on another forum devoted to knives -- a poster wanted to know about closing his locking folding knife with one hand. Obviouisly, liner locks and Axis locks and such are designed for one-hand closure as well as one-hand opening. The typical rocker-bar locking folder, however (what some people simply refer to as a "lockback"), isn't really designed for one-hand closure. It can still be closed with one hand, though. Mind your fingers and perform at your own risk!

onehandclose.jpg

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nice Pictures.

Just to add a few thoughts...

People need to be very careful when closing their blades. I have had a couple people cut themselves at seminars or classes on their blades; luckily nothing was severe, just little nicks. Every time it was due to closing the blade.

People take saftey into account when they are drawing and cutting with their blades. But when they are done cutting, they psychologically just seem to think, "welp, I'm done now" so they become careless when they're closing.

I do a better job of illustrating this now. I tell them to treat it as if it is a gun. When ones clip is empty, he isn't going to simply say, "I'm done now, no longer necissary to be safe," and then proceed muzzle sweep everyone, and dry fire a few times as he holsters. One wouldn't be careless with their pistol when holstering, so the same sense, one should not be careless when closing an opened knife.

Paul

Latest Discussions