Closed Guard

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just to clarify; YOUR on bottom, YOUR knife is sheathed still. HE is on top without a knife. The assumption in this scenario was that you were taken by suprise and taken down and ended up on the bottom before you could deploy your knife. Often in a situation like this your opponent might not even know that you are armed at all, or until he is on top of you and you go to deploy. You are working on the skill of being able to get to your knife while he is trying to fight you and prevent that from happening, or getting to your knife first.

Anyways, I agree that a closed knee guard is not a place to stay, but it does help to transition to other things.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
If you are on the bottom, you will need both of your hands free to deal with the attacker effectively. So, I would advise: don't go for your knife then, work to gain some distance first, then pull. Again, as this would be a real encounter, I say get out from the bottom! At least on top you can stabilize and use 1 hand to choke, holding them down, while you draw a weapon.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
If you are on the bottom, you will need both of your hands free to deal with the attacker effectively. So, I would advise: don't go for your knife then, work to gain some distance first, then pull. Again, as this would be a real encounter, I say get out from the bottom! At least on top you can stabilize and use 1 hand to choke, holding them down, while you draw a weapon.

I agree. THat was what bringing your knees up as a transitionary move accomplishes.

MardiGras Bandit

Green Belt
Reaction score
When you say knees up guard are you talking about butterfly guard, when the bottom guy has his feet inside of the top guys thighs and uses it to set up sweeps?

The guard can be a very offensive position, although activley seeking to get there in a fight might not be the best idea. Yes, you are on the bottom, but if you are going to be on the bottom it gives you the greatest offensive and defensive potential. It's not hard to control a person who isn't used to being in the guard. Once you have control you can either hunt for sweeps and subs or wait for someone to pull you apart.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, he's refering to pulling your knees together, planting them on the guys chest to make space. If it is to draw a weapon I could see it having potential, but in a sport environment it's a bad idea as you will get passed or leg locked very quickly.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MardiGras Bandit said:
When you say knees up guard are you talking about butterfly guard, when the bottom guy has his feet inside of the top guys thighs and uses it to set up sweeps?

The guard can be a very offensive position, although activley seeking to get there in a fight might not be the best idea. Yes, you are on the bottom, but if you are going to be on the bottom it gives you the greatest offensive and defensive potential. It's not hard to control a person who isn't used to being in the guard. Once you have control you can either hunt for sweeps and subs or wait for someone to pull you apart.

Yes, actually I am refering to the butterfly guard, but I wasn't explaining it properly. The key is your using your feet to post on the guys hips, thighs, or even arms to create distance for knife access. Anyways, it ended up working well for accessing a knife.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Yes, actually I am refering to the butterfly guard, but I wasn't explaining it properly. The key is your using your feet to post on the guys hips, thighs, or even arms to create distance for knife access. Anyways, it ended up working well for accessing a knife.

I don't think you are:

"Knee's together, ankles still remain towards the outside so you can slip back to guard if he tries to pass,"

Butterfly guard is feet under him, hooked under his legs and knees out wide. Like the butterfly stretch where you put your feet together and push your knees to the floor.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
I don't think you are:

"Knee's together, ankles still remain towards the outside so you can slip back to guard if he tries to pass,"

Butterfly guard is feet under him, hooked under his legs and knees out wide. Like the butterfly stretch where you put your feet together and push your knees to the floor.

No, that does sound right, sorta. Only with photo's could we find out for sure. Got any of the butterfly guard? :)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Butterfly guard sweeps (which shows butterfly guard)
http://www.grapplearts.com/Butterfly-Guard-Sweeps.htm

Dude thanks! We grapple because grappling is part of fighting, but I am not up on the sport terminology.

Your right it; it was similar but not the same. Instead of feet in between the guys thighs, my feet were posted on my partners hips. I flatened out and pushed off at the same time, which freed my hands to deploy my knife from my strong side hip. You can use your feet to post on shoulders and in between elbows if he grabs at your knife before you have it out.

If he doesn't know you pulled your knife (especially if you pull reverse grip and hide it behind your forearm), then you kind of want him to pass your guard so he will be fooled and will think he is dominant, and you can stab him and roll him over more easily from there.

If you don't want to be mounted, however, your knees have to tuck right back or you could end up in a mount or side mount because he can easily pass your legs to the side (I think that was what you were saying). That is why this is a transitionary position; not a position that one would stay in for any prolonged period.

I could see how this might be a bad idea if there is no knife to back you up, however. Like I said, we'll be playing with this more next week.

Paul

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This vid of my brother and I. He randomly attacked me and we went down and I put him in my guard. I passed on sankaku and decided to work on Small Joint Manipulations. I think that closed guard gives the opportunity to do this because you can really control your opponent. I submitted my brother with Nikyo.

Latest Discussions